Bobbing the frame on an Officers frame?

This is a discussion on Bobbing the frame on an Officers frame? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Curious guys, I'm eventually going to pick up either a compact or micro .45. On all that I've handled the back bottom corner of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobbing the frame on an Officers frame?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Curious guys, I'm eventually going to pick up either a compact or micro .45. On all that I've handled the back bottom corner of the grip seems to poke my palm.

Today I handled a full size Dan Wesson that had a bobbed butt and it was VERY comfortable. So here's my question...

Can you bob an officer's frame? Have any of you ever done that?

Also, any of you have experience with SIGs new compact 1911?

Thanks guys
    Gideon

VIP Member
    I've yet to see a "bobtailed" Officer's ACP frame....but I'm sure someone can do it.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

It Can Be Done...

I've seen it on this forum...not sure where...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Typically, just rounding off the MSH and the edges of the frame achieve a wonderful result that is very comfortable in the palm.

Bobbing the officer's frame.

I remember when I first saw the Ed Brown Bobtail in a gun magazine. According to the article, when a 1911 is bobbed, the flat spring in the full size gun is changed to a flatspring from an Officer's model. I distinctly remember the article saying that since this was the case, it would not be possible to bob an Officer's Frame. Of course I'm not a smith, I just play one at home. I could be wrong.
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject."

Sights? What are those?

Mauser M2 sold by Sig

If you want a .45 with rounded grip, you should look at the Mauser M2, an unusual gun sold by Sig in the US that was designed and manufactured by the Mauser Company in Germany. The gun is supplied in .40 and .45, and the .45 caliber version holds 8 rounds in a staggered magazine.

I have handled but not shot one of these, and it has the most rounded and comfortable grip I have seen on any small .45 handgun.

interesting look but i like my kimber better....im with them though....rounding off the point at the end would make it a LOT more comfortable =O)

Administrator
    Ditto that a lot can be accomplished by just rounding and blending the MS Housing into the frame. I don't think a full bobtail would be necessary.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Put a pachmeyer main spring housing on it and shoot it a fiew hundred rounds . the rubber will conform to your grip . It did on the wife's detonics anyway lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

i completely agree.......full bobtail would be a bit much and MIGHT make the gun a little weird to hold and shoot......just rounding it out enough to that the end doesnt poke you in the ribs would be amazing =O)

OD*
    the flat spring in the full size gun is changed to a flatspring from an Officer's model.
    Do you mean the flat sear spring or the round mainspring? Officers ACPs take the standard sear spring, same as the Government.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Thanks for the input folks. I guess that would be a bit odd. It's funny how different makes poke more or poke less. I guess I can look at rounding that edge off the mainspring housing when the time comes. I'm getting closer to a compact but haven't settled yet. I've got about three or so that I've narrowed it down but it's hard to settle because not one of them is perfect. The Kimber CDP II comes the closest but the melt job is approaching "too much" for me and I don't care for all the silver controls. If I get that one, I plan on replacing everything below the slide with black, going with a tactical single thumb safetly.

I keep looking at the EMP thinking I'll shoot it a lot more due to the lower recoil and lower cost of the 9mm but there's just something about a .45 I love!!!!

Anyway, thanks for the advise. I'm almost glad to see that others have the same problem of the butt poking their palm.

Also I did some checking on the SIG and I was right, it's a good bit wider in the slide than say a Kimber or SA micro....

God Bless
    Gideon

I rounded the butt end of the plastic MSH on my Kimber Compact CDP... bringing it right to the metal of the grip frame... made a nice difference. I'll probably take the metal down some as well, along with more of the MSH, when I get to the point of doing a refinish on it.

GO to Ned Chrisitansen's site to see what a true metal artist can do to round off the butt of an Officer's size grip frame. This is your best choice right here:

http://www.m-guns.com/gallery.php

See pics #43-45

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Do you mean the flat sear spring or the round mainspring? Officers ACPs take the standard sear spring, same as the Government.
    OD, I remember one of the guys at M1911.org on the RIA board bob-tailed one but I don't remember all that he did. I do remember he did all the work himself. I think it was on a compact.

There are a few gunsmiths that will do a round butt conversion to an Officer's mainspring housing and frame. Among them are Chuck Rogers, Ted Yost and his crew at Yost-Bonitz, CT Brain, and Ned Christiansen. I just got my stainless Officer's frame back from Roger's after having this done. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Getting this done has two benefits: It eliminates the corner from digging into your palm when shooting, and it enhances concealment by allowing the clothing to flow over the grip instead of getting hung up on the corner, reducing printing.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links