1911 Advise (Dan Wesson)

1911 Advise (Dan Wesson)

This is a discussion on 1911 Advise (Dan Wesson) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all. In another thread I was asking about "Bobtailed" 1911 commander size, and who might make one standard from factory. It was said.... "Get ...

Thread: 1911 Advise (Dan Wesson)

1911 Advise (Dan Wesson)

Hey all.

In another thread I was asking about "Bobtailed" 1911 commander size, and who might make one standard from factory. It was said....

"Get a Dan Wesson Custom Bobtail Commander you will NOT be disapointed. With a good IWB holster (I just got a Tucker Texas Heritage) it will simply disappear...."

I was originally thinking about a Kimber,but... with the above statement I might change my mind given feedback from ya'll.

Pro's/Con's? Help me out.

Thanks in advance.
    MikeV
    Last edited by MIKEV; February 21st, 2007 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo

VIP Member
    I have a DW "PTE-EXP" (Patriot-Experimental). It's a 10mm gun I purchased from DW's direct sales program which allowed customers to buy guns directly from DW. I don't think it's around anymore; it existed prior to CZ's acquisition of DW.

Anyhow, if my 1911 is any example of DW's 1911's, they are very well built, accurate and pretty as all get out:

I don't know the current quality of their 1911's since coming under CZ; I expect the quality not to have suffered at all since CZ is a great company.

I'd buy a DW!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

My CBOB is one of the nicest guns I own. Its tight as a bank vault but reliable as one too. Normally, when 1911s are as tight as this, there are reliability issues with them. I only have 200 +/- round through mine but its been flawless. I don't know how Dan Wesson/CZ can build these things, sell them for the prices they do and still make a profit. My advice to you is to take the plunge and get yourself a CBOB.

You already know my opinion...

Just go get you one!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
    You already know my opinion...

Just go get you one!!!!!
    Yes I do. Thanks for the input.

So far the input seems favorable, would like a bit more but, promising start so far.

MikeV

I am putting money aside for one in 10mm... The wife has been attempting to instill some form of guilt in me about it but I have defelected this with Coach handbags for Chritsmas and Valentines Day. When asked what I want my answer is always the same, "nothing, I am saving up for what I really want in a year."

I think it is the idea of one purchase that size that gets her. Once she has a noticable stack of overpriced leather Coach handbags though I will simply ask her to add them up .

Of course my gun will survive the rest of my life and be left to one of my kids, along with my father's old guns. I doubt that can be said for the bags.

Over on the 1911forum.com site, there are a lot of Bobtail owners, many of them 45. The 10mms are popular too. There are a few who had problems off the bat. DW seems to have really decent customer service and the problems were worked out. I would buy with confidence. I was going to get one but decided to get a Kimber Pro Carry 40 and customize it, including bobtail.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I own one too (.45ACP). I really like the way it fits my hand, and it hides a little better than a standard gripped 1911. The only problems I had with it were ammo and magazine related and that was new out of the box. Once I found the right combination, it's been flawless.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

cant say dont have one yet but thinks i hear are good

I have 2 Bobtails, a Dan Wesson and A Scandium Smith & Wesson Commander (Custom Bobtailed). I own 6 1911's and I wish they were all BT'd. I think the BT is the best modification that can be done to a 1911. The DW is a superb firearm, you will not regret getting one. You can see my S&W at www.ontargetcgw.com , select "1911 Gallery" then "Smith & Wesson Bobtail."
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

rmw
    I've got a CBOB in 45 acp and I think the Dan Wesson's are one of the best value's in a 1911 right now

wow, every response so far is positive. Mine to. I've owned many 1911's and my dw-pmas is by far the best. reliable and put together like none other I've owned. The prices have gone up since they sold to cz, but you get what you pay for. I just purchased a different make commander sized 1911 and really wish I would have spent the extra for the cbob.

I own the Bobtail in 45ACP and 10MM. I had an ambi put on them both, different "smiths" doing the work. They both pretty much had the same comments on the guns, that being they are top notch, assembled well, probably the best they see in that class of gun. I have not a single issue with mine, which I can not say for my four Kimbers I own, but that is another story. I would buy another in a heartbeat. They shoot great, nice sights. I have shot Wessons since 1979 for silhouette, PPC and a few other things in life. I just like the guns. Bite the bullet and grab one, you will not be sorry.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar

While the .45s seem to be more reliable from the box. They come
    pretty tight and often need some break-in time. knowing of this..
    I hand cycled mine for a few days after picking it up at the local store
    from CZ-USA.

I'm at the 400 plus mark and other than ammo induced stoppages..
    two of them at different times..mine has been wonderful.

Hakans and more Ed Brown parts made it even better!!

As I still prefer and shoot CZ type guns much better, I don't
    spend much time with the CBOB, but really like the BOB feature.
    And do hope that DW offers this for full-sized guns in the future.

My initial Review, and subsequent testing of the superb Double Tap
    Ammo thru my CBOB.

http://www.angelfire.com/amiga2/czid/DW.html

I don't own one, but have read enough (good stuff) about them to know it's on my list of guns to own for sure (besides I don't have a Commander size 1911 yet!).

Sponsored Links