Carrying Striker vs Cocked+Locked+Safety

This is a discussion on Carrying Striker vs Cocked+Locked+Safety within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm somewhat new to CCW (2 years). When I first started, I had a striker fired gun that I only felt comfortable carrying without one ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Carrying Striker vs Cocked+Locked+Safety

I'm somewhat new to CCW (2 years). When I first started, I had a striker fired gun that I only felt comfortable carrying without one in the chamber. I practiced drawing and racking the slide over and over.

I then got a p938. It felt safer to me to carry with a round in the chamber with safety on. I really like having the safety and have gotten used to the extra layer of protection.

Now I'm eyeing up a G43, but I'm back to the no external safety question...

Is a cocked+locked+safety gun actually more safe than carrying a glock, or is it perception?

Edit 1: I understand the responses about being safe as a user. My question is specific though:

When just comparing the gun controls, is one inherently more safe than the other, when user safety is equal?

VIP Member
    Perception. So long as you follow good safety protocols, any modern gun should be safe to carry with a round chambered. Striker, DAO, DA/SA, or C&L. It's all about protecting the trigger, especially during holstering. I carry a 938 daily as well as a P226. I've carried a Glock, Sigma, and a DA revolver. I never felt unsafe with any of these trigger styles.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

VIP Member
    A safety is a mechanical device and it can fail - said in my best Hunter's Ed instructor voice...

Striker fired pistols like the Glock are perfectly safe assuming you're safe with them. Don't rely on any mechanical device to give you a sense of security because it's not what keeps you safe; you're what keeps you safe.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    Perception. So long as you follow good safety protocols, any modern gun should be safe to carry with a round chambered. Striker, DAO, DA/SA, or C&L. It's all about protecting the trigger, especially during holstering. I carry a 938 daily as well as a P226. I've carried a Glock, Sigma, and a DA revolver. I never felt unsafe with any of these trigger styles.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

I primarily carry a 1911 (cocked and locked) and have either a G42 (striker) or a 642 (DA only) as a BUG. Will soon add an HK P2000 in .357sig (DA/SA) to my carry rotation as well. IMO, they're all safe because I know who's handling them--me :)
    Phaedrus and PhaedrusIV like this.
    "Your mind-set is your primary weapon." --Col. Jeff Cooper
    "Not every man was meant to wield the blued steel and checkered walnut of God's hammer." --Forum member MMinSC

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Distinguished Member
    It's hard to find data with respect to this question, but I looked and found this report by the NYPD. If you scroll to page 66, it has a summary of their findings.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...eport_2011.pdf
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    I carry a striker fired handgun with 3 safeties, and I carry chambered.

1. it is in a holster that protects the trigger from my finger or anything else engaging the trigger, plus it has a USA (Ultra Safety Assurance) trigger system.
    2. it is a drop safe gun but even so, it is not drawn for any reason other than self-defense.
    3. it has a grip safety, ensuring it will fire only if I have a proper grip.

If I have to 'rack' the slide, then I would be tempted to draw before needed in order to have time to draw and rack. The first thing that goes when you are afraid (adrenaline surge) are fine motor skills, and you may not be able to rack a round into the chamber on first try.

And if someone has already grabbed one of your arms, it's too late, you can't rack the slide and you only will have a short club in your hand.

I also carry a Sig P238 at times, chambered, safety on, and in a holster that protects the trigger.
    D_FIN likes this.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

The best safety you have is the one between your ears. I carry a Glock with one in the chamber. I practice the draw and re holster a lot. I also carry appendix as well. If that doesn't scream trust idk what will!
    mck1975 likes this.

I understand the responses about being safe outside the gun itself. My question is specific though:

When just comparing the gun controls, is one inherently more safe than the other, when user safety is equal?

Why not get a shield with safety, striker fired and has that "extra level" that you are used to

Quote Originally Posted by Scotticus View Post
    I understand the responses about being safe outside the gun itself. My question is specific though:

In that case, I believe cocked & locked + safety (manual and grip) is inherently safer. Just my honest opinion.
    mkh, OD*, ChAoS84 and 1 others like this.
    "Your mind-set is your primary weapon." --Col. Jeff Cooper
    "Not every man was meant to wield the blued steel and checkered walnut of God's hammer." --Forum member MMinSC

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Distinguished Member

It kind of depends on the user. If someone is always alert and paying attention (and is not prone to the "human error" one hears about in medicine, aviation, truck-driving, and other industries), then no one system is safer than the other, since the user is always safe. If the user is not accustomed to using a manual safety, and is prone to forgetting to disengage it, then a firearm with a manual safety can be very unsafe when the S is hitting the F. If the user is sometimes not paying 100% attention to what he is doing with a firearm, then all firearms are unsafe, with perhaps some being more unsafe than others. It's best to look at your own self, ask yourself the hard questions about what your needs and abilities are, and then get the firearm that works best with your own strengths and limitations.

I doubt you'll find your answer.

Neither is inherently safer than the other. Neither will just "go off." Both must he directed to fire, and that means by the guy holding the gun. Which is why everybody is telling you that the guy controlling the gun is the true safety.

They are simply two different fire controls. Both have pros and cons.

But I can promise you that the guns in and of themselves are equally safe. I expect that if one does have a higher rate of NDs, it would be the striker gun, only because so many people are carrying them, increasing the rate of incidents.

Get what you want and master it. That way, no matter what it is, it'll be safe.

You are the ultimate safety, in that knowing and understanding how the fire control mechanisms of each work, and applying that knowledge in the use of proper holsters and equipment with that particular firearm.

I e used both, for many years, and never had a problem.

But I well know the trigger on a Glock MUST be protected, and.a single action gun must have the safety engaged.
    SatCong, mhl6493, mkh and 1 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

You really cannot separate the two because the answer is if you do not follow the safety rules religiously primarily in this case its keep the finger off the trigger then any gun type is dangerous to handle. This has nothing to do with the mechanical safety or lack of on the gun it is 100% the user.

I personally think that with a new user especially who feels they have to have a safety to feel safe with gun that it create a very false sense of security. If you rely on the safety to be safe you are missing the most important part of gun safety. I personally think new gun user should have or use often a gun with no manual safety that they are a bit scared of. You should always be enough scared of it to remember to handle it carefully and safely.

A reputable modern striker fired gun.... Glock, S&W, Springfield XD...... really anything that you would not consider a Saturday Night Special type gun is perfectly safe to carry chambered providing you as the user are religious about practicing safe gun handling. I always like to say the most important safety on your gun is not on your gun it is in your head. Probably stole that from some famous gun guy but I couldn't tell you who.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.gimlin View Post
    Why not get a shield with safety, striker fired and has that "extra level" that you are used to
    The other M&P's also have options with or without a manual safety.

I really think you answer has to be what YOU are comfortable with.

There are advantages/disadvantages to both. I personally like my defensive guns simple. Point and shoot without having to worry about holding this or hitting that first. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with those with a safety there is just more to do so you have train to do it effectively.
    navajoRN likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links