Stoeger Cougar-Should I buy it?

This is a discussion on Stoeger Cougar-Should I buy it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to buy my first gun for concealed carry. While I have owned many guns in the past including both autos and revolvers ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am looking to buy my first gun for concealed carry. While I have owned many guns in the past including both autos and revolvers I am now planning to buy a dedicated use weapon for a low price as I am married now and money is not what it once was. The gun that catches my eye the most is the Stoeger Cougar. This gun is manufactured with Beretta's old machinery but now in Turkey by one of Beretta's subsidiaries. I never cared much for the gun when it was 650 dollars but for 300 I am very tempted. Is there any problems with the orignal's design or the new companies quality that any one could tell me about? I have shot Stoeger's Benelli designed shotguns and loved them so I'm leaning toward the Cougar. Any input would be helpful.
    If he was gonna decorate his bar with my friend, he shoulda armed himself.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy one.
    Beretta 92FS

I have not shot the gun, but I have handled them in a gun shop. Guns & Ammo magazine had the Cougar on the cover of their January issue with a very favorable review. It seems like a good gun at a really good price.

I like the gun and I would like to get the 40 version.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    I've heard nothing but praise for the gun....I have two Beretta Cougars and love the design, features, and handling of the gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

An absolutely great gun. Probably the best deal on the market right now. Maybe a wee bit large for a carry gun, but still a good choice, especially at $300 or so.
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

It looks like a nice little firearm. I may actually look into picking one up for my wife a little later this year as a gift. Even though I have yet to get my hands on one, I would feel pretty confident buying one after everything I have read about them. I'd certainly have no issue taking a chance on one of the Cougars.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

I'd do it

Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    .... Guns & Ammo magazine had the Cougar on the cover of their January issue with a very favorable review. It seems like a good gun at a really good price.
    They really liked it and let's not forget what Taurus did with other Beretta's and actually improved on them.
    Condition "yellow" is a heightened state of awareness & response.
    It is not paranoia...
    "IT IS YOUR ONLY ROUTE TO SURVIVAL"

An armed & knowledgeble Citizen has significantly increased their chances of continued Freedom & Safety... SO ALSO IMPROVED IS THE FUTURE OF THEIR NEIGHBORS

I looked at them, thought about buying one, seems like a really nice gun (especialy at the price they go for), but passed on it because it just didn't feel right in my hand.
    My wife is planing on looking at one for her next gun (though she, like me, has a number of things on "the list".......hahaha)

Elder, not sure if it's what you meant, but so there is no confusion Taurus has nothing to do with the Cougar.....
    Actually as I understand it, the company that's making them is owned (at least in part) by Beretta.

What Elder meant was Taurus took the Beretta model 92 and under license builds a gun that is almost an exact copy but with one big improvement. The safety is mounted on the frame in the same location as on a 1911 instead of up on the slide which is just about impossibe for 90% of the people in the world to operate well.

I have a PT-99 (adjustable sight version on the PT-92) that is over 18 years old now and have thousands and thousands of rounds through it and it has not once malfunctioned.

As for the Cougars, I like these guns and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. And for the price, how can you go wrong?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I would try to handle one and if it felt good in my hand, buy it. I did not care for the way the Berreta Cougar felt in my hands and therefore, I passed on one. With this said, the reviews on the Turkish version, the Stoeger Cougar, have been excellent. Regards, Richard

the cougar is my everyday carry. i absolutely love it and everything about it. if i had to look for flaws it would be that it is a 'thick' gun. great for handling in that respect but unless you get the perfect holster (one that carries it high and tight) it's a little harder to conceal than other weapons. I'm already a huge Beretta fan and didn't hesitate when i learned about this weapon online then went to a shop and saw it. at the price, you can't go wrong.
    What's this button do?

VIP Member
    I have the Stoeger Cougar in 40 S&W Great gun, I have over 2000 rounds through it in the last 2 months and not one malfunction.

I carry mine at 4:30 low and with a 20 degree rake. Hides well and feels good there. CDNN has them for $299.00
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I would not hesitate to buy one...but I prefer my Kimbers...
    I think it's a great way for you to start!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i'd like to add to Chorizo's comment and say the same. i'm at least to that amount of rounds and still kicking. i can't even imagine this gun malfunctioning.
    What's this button do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links