Please help me decide too- Glock 42 or Sig P238 for my smallest carry

This is a discussion on Please help me decide too- Glock 42 or Sig P238 for my smallest carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, I have a few handguns but don't carry all the time. I would carry much more if I had a smaller/thinner IWB carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Please help me decide too- Glock 42 or Sig P238 for my smallest carry

Hi everyone, I have a few handguns but don't carry all the time. I would carry much more if I had a smaller/thinner IWB carry (or in a pinch, pocket carry) that I could conceal better in certain places & situations....work market visits, work store visits, a rare mall visit, etc. I went to the store and handled a few guns but here is my background- 6' 180 lbs, and kinda lean. I also have lean but bigger hands (8.5" from wrist line between base of palm and wrist to middle finger tip). I currently have a Glock 26, 19, and 20. The first two are my primaries while the 20 is mainly for when we go hiking/Jeeping/camping in the mountains. I also have a Kahr CW9 which is like a slim G26 but still a bit big. My style of clothing for work also dictates that I cannot conceal bigger guns well. I can't suddenly change that when wearing clothes around people I work with or in social situations. I wear slim-cut suits and clothes except for when hiking/camping/lounging etc. I will be carrying it in a vertical-cant thin horsehide holster (probably Sherrick or Garrity) AIWB (sometimes at or behind hip if suit) with a metal clip, MAYBE adding a thin pocket holster (no idea which one yet) after that.

So back to the issue- I am looking for a small/thin BUT shootable gun I would carry when carrying the others is simply not feasible. I went to the LGS and handled several .380s that seemed to be appealing- Bodyguard, LCP, P238, G42, and Kahr .380. The ones that felt the best in the hand were the P238 and the G42. I also read a ton of reviews and watched many videos, and it seems that these two .380s shoot the best. The 238 may be slightly more accurate but both are acceptable.

So now I am torn but the main thing is reliability. I have read of issues with both but mainly shooter-related or ammo-related and both have probably been re-worked by Sig and Glock to where they have gotten better and better. It appears that both are accurate. I have never had an issue with limp-wristing or anything like that. I have no problem with a safety and C&L and can get used to that...it should not affect my draw. Price difference is not an issue. Aesthetics is not an issue. The G42 is around $425 (IIRC) and the Rainbow Tribal (I know..I know..but it is on sale and I don't mind it since it isn't pink) is $550.

Do you guys think one is more picky than the other with ammo?
    Do you guys think one is more reliable than the other now?
    Will the baby Uplula mag feeder work for both?
    Any other reasons to choose one over the other?

Regarding 9mms, I have briefly considered the P938 but it is thicker and heavier and the Kahr CM9 is also one I looked at earlier but I am kinda neutral on it. My Kahr is 100% but maybe I just want something very different and nice (Sig) or something familiar and solid (Glock).

Please fire anything first .. 380 can be very hard kicking guns

I carry a 938 and the 380 model ... But you want deep cover get a LCP or P3AT .. My normal carry gun is a P3AT will hide anywhere ..

But for joy of shooting the 938 or 238 all metal so fun to shoot ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Even though I have not fired a Glock 42, my brother and his wife have one and LOVE it. He says that it is the most manageable 380 he and his wife have ever tried. He claims they are very accurate with it and recoil is light. Take that for what it is worth. I carry a P938 and love that I can fit a 9mm in my pocket. If I had to choose between a G42 and a P238, I'd go with the Glock. However, I REALLY suggest looking for a P938 as it still fits in my pocket and is about the size of the G42.

Maybe I'm just being silly, but it would be difficult for me to spend over $350 or so for a .380 of any kind.

Also I owned a Glock 42 it is a massive gun for a 380 I rather have a bretta 84 over it .. For how few rounds you get in terms of size not worth it
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

LCP
    ETXhiker likes this.
    EDCs: HK P2000SK .40, Sig Sauer P938
    Range and BUGs: Ed Brown Kobra Carry 1911, Ruger LCP
    Belts: Armour | Holsters: Tucker, Sparks, Comp-Tac
    ____
    Former LEO and USAF Security Police

Shot 'em all and we own a G42 as my Wife's main gun and I own a Beretta Pico as a front pocket BUG. The sig P238 would be my third choice and not much behind (and maybe ahead of for another shooter!) the G42. For "normal" folks (I'm not typical/normal) I think it's be a toss up between the G42 and the P238 - both great guns and highly desirable depending on which platform a person is more comfortable with. The G42 is classic Glock striker fire and very soft shooting. The P238 is more like a very small 1911 style pistol...hammer fired, SA, cocked and locked.

Shoot 'em both and choose! You can't go wrong with those two choices, IMO.

VooDoo

I have a G42 and I regularly use it as a BUG. Don't have the P238 so I can't make a comparative analysis on shootability but I love the G42. It's easy to shoot and very reliable. I think it may be a little bigger than the P238 as well. I usually pocket carry it with a kydex trigger guard similar to this...(my trigger guard is a little bigger).
    m03PI5lUYOqSJ_Z_9JvcCDg.jpg

I'm 5'11" and 170lbs and the G42 passes for a cell phone in my front pocket. Granted it's not that fast to draw but like I said, it's a back up gun. I'll be drawing my 1911 first if s***t hits the fan...
    "Your mind-set is your primary weapon." --Col. Jeff Cooper
    "Not every man was meant to wield the blued steel and checkered walnut of God's hammer." --Forum member MMinSC

NRA LIFE MEMBER

None of these will probably kick as hard as a Glock 20 with Underwoods at 1300 fps but actually a few may be more uncomfortable to shoot. I guess I will look at that P938 again too, since it is close to the G42's size and since I am considering Sig. The G42 stretches the pocket-carry concept but I could put it in any pocket (prefer front) with an untucked t-shirt. So one question about Sig- how is their customer service in case I have gun issues or a lemon? Decent?

I was going to pick one up today but I'll see if my Range has all three of these. I don't like the LCP- mainly how it feels in my hand.

RivanBrown, do you anchor that cord to your belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Chandne View Post
    RivanBrown, do you anchor that cord to your belt?
    Yes, I do. I just pull the gun out and the trigger guard comes off.
    "Not every man was meant to wield the blued steel and checkered walnut of God's hammer." --Forum member MMinSC

NRA LIFE MEMBER

I hate to be the guy that says to go shoot them, but....

None of those choices would be bad, as they are all proven shooters. You are right in considering the 938 as well. Let us know how you like them after you try them out.

With that cord setup, the G42 does not need a full-on holster, which makes it much more manageable. I hear the grip of those trigger guards is very positive. Which brand do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Chandne View Post
    With that cord setup, the G42 does not need a full-on holster, which makes it much more manageable. I hear the grip of those trigger guards is very positive. Which brand do you have?
    It was custom made by a buddy of mine so it doesn't really have a brand. The trigger stays on very well and you really have to draw the gun with authority for it to slide off. It also does not leave any room for anything else to slip in when it's on the gun. Of course, I don't put anything else in the same pocket as my G42 anyway...

NRA LIFE MEMBER

I like my 938 very much but it is not pocketable for me unless I am in cargo pants. The G42 is even wider. The LCP with the finger extension floor plate works for me.
    ETXhiker likes this.

As much as my LCP kicks my hand. I take it to range every few months to shoot one magazine. It is the perfect pocket carry for me. But it is my BUG to my G19
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links