pocket semi/revolver, bedside gun or duplicate

This is a discussion on pocket semi/revolver, bedside gun or duplicate within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Right now my only firearm that I own and use for my carry/hd is a xd-s 9mm. I have some extra cash and am not ...

View Poll Results: which would you choose

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • LCP

12 18.18%
  • LCR

22 33.33%
  • larger framed gun

29 43.94%
  • another xd-s

3 4.55%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: pocket semi/revolver, bedside gun or duplicate

Right now my only firearm that I own and use for my carry/hd is a xd-s 9mm. I have some extra cash and am not sure what I should do.

What I am deciding on is:

LCP or the LCR for a gun I can always have on me even if I carry the xd-s with it IWB or not. I would probably carry one of these full time at work since it is easier to just have in my pocket.

next option is a glock 17 for dedicated home and range.

or my last thought is since I have had such good luck with my xd-s is to get a duplicate to have on hand but that would not really give me a second carry option, just gives me another gun to have.

I do not go to range as often as I would like due to finances so I really do not have any need for a dedicated range gun right now atleast, but would not mind having a larger framed gun on hand.

I do think the lcp/lcr would come in handy more as I can carry one or the other and it is more functional if I am going to spend cash right now.

Please give your opinions on what you would do. Thank you guys!

Personally I would voted for a small Ruger as a BUG.
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

Buy one of each.

Problem solved!

Consider all the rolls you'd like your next gun to fill and go from there. If you want something with larger capacity for home defense, and still able to carry and conceal it fairly easily, consider a Glock 26, or other compact, like an M&P Compact. They're not pocket guns, but a good IWB will make them disappear easily.

Everyone should own at least one revolver in their life. LCR would be a good choice, as would an SP101.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Favorite Planet:
    URANUS

If the snub works in your pockets, that's what I would do. If you need to be really, really discreet, then the LCP.
    SmoothJazz and Doghandler like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.

www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member

I would say get whatever gun you like best that COULD be an everyday-carry gun. The idea being that, if your XDs is out of commission for any reason (being worked on, damaged, actually used for defense and then held by police), you have something you can carry in its place.

Of those you list, my preference would be the LCR, so I vote for that. But, be aware that it may be a bit large for pocket-carry, depending on the pockets. If necessary you can spend about $30 to get a smaller boot grip from Ruger. With that I can carry mine in the front pocket of my jeans. YMMV.
    "...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."

– Captain Bellamy

I'd say LCR then LCP because you'll get the most use out of carrying either one. The LCP is by far the most discrete of your options if you are looking to go really discrete.
    10thmtn and Doghandler like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

If you get a Glock 19, then you could have both a HD and a backup carry gun in case your XDS is not available. Done.
    ETXhiker and Bigsteve113 like this.

Glock G19 and a Ruger SR40C both sit on my nightstand. My main EDC is the G19 and Ruger LCP as BUG
    "Liberal arguments against guns tend to presume the worst: that a yearning for gun ownership must in some way be rooted in the desire to hurt. But gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love"
    Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

VIP Member
    I vote LCR.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Thanks for the responses keep them coming!
    I feel a smaller discrete gun would be used more than a larger framed gun just sitting at night stand. I bought a bunch of the nee 8 round mid mags so i keep 3 loaded plus one in gun next to me at night and use flush when i carry. Although Xds is single stack and smaller i feel it plays carry/hd role pretty well and i shoot it great. I have owned glock 26 and 19's but never like thickness for carry although they both concealed great. I am not too concerned with capacity unless i was able to go to range more often hi-cap mag would be more useful... Tough decisions

Sorry for grammar sent off iphone

Senior Moderator
    Being old-fashioned, I'd sooner give up the stunted runt guns and just deal with a bigger gun if I could only have a one handgun.
    DingBat, jd70, gunpoor and 3 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I guess it comes down to if you would rather have a larger home defense firearm or more ccw options. If the latter I would probably go with the lcr and get the .38 special version because it's a few ounces lighter and for all day pocket carry a few ounces makes a big difference. My first pocket carry gun was and is a s&w 642, I then tried to replace it with an lcp then a kel tec pf9. I hardly ever carry the lcp but still pack the pf9 and 642. I mostly settle for the 642 for daily pocket carry at work where business casual attire is required. Though my little autos have been reliable, I still trust the revolver more from a reliability standpoint and find it easier to draw from a pocket than both autos. For me having an all day pocketable option is essential to always having a gun on my person no matter how I'm dressed.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

You said that you do not go to the range as often as you wish for practice due to finances. As such, I would use the new gun money for an online purchase of 2000 rounds of 9mm and practice more with your XDs. The XDs conceals easily, will do fine for HD, and you will really become an expert with it.

Distinguished Member Array Buckeye63's Avatar
    I voted LCR. I own two a LCRX in 38spl. And a newly acquired LCR in 9mm....great revolvers....,the LCR9 maybe the best choice for you... You already have ammo!!!!
    tdave likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    If my 1 gun was an XDs, my next purchase would be a 4" .357 Magnum. Preferably a K Frame, that way if I had to CC it, I could get by with it.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links