Attention left-handed wheel gunners.....

This is a discussion on Attention left-handed wheel gunners..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Charter Arms has introduced an ultra-lightweight revolver for lefties. The Undercover Southpaw- aluminum alloy frame...... http://www.charterfirearms.com/produ..._Southpaw.html looks interesting........SRP $375...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention left-handed wheel gunners.....

VIP Member

Attention left-handed wheel gunners.....

Charter Arms has introduced an ultra-lightweight revolver for lefties.

The Undercover Southpaw- aluminum alloy frame......

http://www.charterfirearms.com/produ..._Southpaw.html

looks interesting........SRP $375
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Saw this gun at the SHOT Show and mentioned it in one of my threads.....it seems well built and is a fantastic idea. Heck, I might get one and I'm right-handed!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

If I was a right handed shooter I could go for this, but as a leftie it is a WASTE to me.

Allow me to explain. When shooting my Revolver left handed and I need to reload my Trigger Finger pushes on the cylinder latch. Then my right hand thumb pushes out the cylinder. Next I place the ejector rod between my index and second finger and turn the barrel up to 90 degrees. My left hand SLAPS the ejector and reaches for my reload.

After reloading my right hand fingers close the cylinder as my left hand is already on the stocks ready to fire. All I have to do to fire is move my right hand from the front of the cylinder.

I've always thought that the D.A. Revolver was secretly designed for lefties, no matter what anyone says and against the clock this method is faster. I'm ambidextrious by the way and shoot revolvers left handed and auto-loaders right handed so I don't get them mixed up. If you've never tried to load a speedloader in the bottom of a revolver stock I suggest you give it a try some time.

There is a LOT to be said for "muscle memory".

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If I was a right handed shooter I could go for this, but as a leftie it is a WASTE to me.

I've always thought that the D.A. Revolver was secretly designed for lefties, no matter what anyone says and against the clock this method is faster. I'm ambidextrious by the way and shoot revolvers left handed and auto-loaders right handed so I don't get them mixed up. If you've never tried to load a speedloader in the bottom of a revolver stock I suggest you give it a try some time.

There is a LOT to be said for "muscle memory".

Biker
    You are 100% correct................ As a lefty I love the DA Revolver. However its cool that somebody is looking after us left handers.

as a lefty i agree above i dont need it std wheelie works just as good

VIP Member
    Very interesting Biker! Great points!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Most of us lefties have adapted to double action revolvers. However, it is nice that manufacturers are trying to accommodate us with new products.

When I carry a double action revolver I carry it right-handed. Again, I have adapted.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

Allow me to explain. When shooting my Revolver left handed and I need to reload my Trigger Finger pushes on the cylinder latch. Then my right hand thumb pushes out the cylinder.
    I just TRIED this with my Taurus 2" - CAN'T Do it and retain a grip
    with my Left hand - so its just as quick FOR ME to swap hands.

Maybe I'm just uncoordinated.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Lead Moderator
    Yup, having trained using LH dumping spent ammo, a LH wheelie would screw me up. Not that I use many wheel guns anymore either.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I am a lefty and was impressed when I noticed Charter made the south paw. Then I got to thinking, and realized over time how much faster my reloads are on "regular" revolvers. I don't think I need the southpaw revolver. :)
    Beretta 92FS

Has anyone used a Charter in the near past. I have owned several and sold quite a few in my dealer days. I never thought they were of good quality for what I was looking for. Just wondering if that has changed, as I know they have changed owners a few times since then. Like most you other lefties, we adept well to what the others of the world throw our way..
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I just TRIED this with my Taurus 2" - CAN'T Do it and retain a grip
    with my Left hand - so its just as quick FOR ME to swap hands.

Maybe I'm just uncoordinated.
    OK, I just ran through this using my J-Frame. You are right AKsrule, it does require a small change in the grip. I've been doing it this way for so long I didn't even think about the grip change.

I still contend that the method I use is faster than a hand switch, and you are less likely to "fumble" the gun in a high stress environment.

Biker

If the cylinder opened up to the left (like a normal revo), but had the lever on the right side (like this one), that would be ideal.

I have become accustomed to the traditional set-up, but have always wondered why someone never came up with this idea before.

I'll probably end up buying one just to support Charter Arms. Don't really have a use for another snubnose, but I really like that they are trying to appeal to lefties.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

my interest is peaked. I'm actually thinking about it and i copied the link. i never did like the wheel opening on the left side so this seems ideal. i even switched the mag release on my autos to suit being left handed.
    What's this button do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links