1911 vs XD

1911 vs XD

This is a discussion on 1911 vs XD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so I have started to once again look into a new firearm and I would like some opinions. I have been doing alot of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 vs XD

1911 vs XD

Ok, so I have started to once again look into a new firearm and I would like some opinions. I have been doing alot of research as of late and have decided on two guns: a springfield Loaded 1911 ultra compact(3.5") or a xd compact. There isn't that big of a difference in prices in the two so basically I'm looking for info on reliability, ease of carry, accuracy etc. I'm looking at the 1911 as I am very familiar with the operation of 1911's and the XD for its capacity, ergonomics and I hear nothing but good things about them.
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

What caliber for the XD are you looking at?

If .45, check out the new XD .45 compact:
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php

With a change of the clip it goes from a 10+1 compact to a 13+1 subcompact.

The Springfield Armory has been able to engineer a double stack .45 that is almost the exact same size as double stack 9mm (I've got an XD9 Service).

The bottom line is: You've picked two great guns. Capacity is important (but so is shot placement). My advice is to go to a gun store that has both guns in stock. Handle each one. Fondle them. See which one feels the best in your had. Buy whichever is the most comfortable. Or, a common response to such a question (I'll beat retsupt99 to it): buy both!

Good luck, and good shooting.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Of the two actions all other things being equil i would go 1911 , but when you chop things to the 3.5 or less it changes things . Some snubby 1911s run for some people . part of it is design and part of it is how you handle the pistol ( in my experiance ) . The cut down xd does not have a swiinging link , nor is it as hand fitted and is more likely to be reliable as an updated browning design. If like me you like 1911s and tend to " stiff arm " a pistol then the 1911 should be fine , if not then go the xd or ( gods forbid lol ) a glock .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I have an XD subcompact and a Kimber ultra carry both in 40 cal. I like the XD but love my Kimber. the 1911 is thinner than the Xd and for me i shoot it alot better. My Xd holds 2 more rounds then my kimber,but i look at it this way shot placement and i dont think i will need the 2 more rounds. So that being said i would go with the 1911.

OR you can buy my XD S/C 40 cal i would like to sell it.
    My Home Is Protected BY
    Mossberg and Kimber
    The People who Take a Bite out of Crime

1911 Ultra Carry .45 .40 and 9mm
    Mossy 590 12G

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Lets go easy on the Glock comments Just kidding. I was in the same boat a while back. I had decided to go with the XD. It just fits me better. However after handling the XD-45 compact I have decided to stay with the full size grip. The short grip was just not right for me. I will be placing my order next month for an XD 45 Service model. So handle both before laying down your hard earned cash.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

i am actually kinda interested in getting a xd 45......not sure if compact or service.....guess i will have to see...lol

i shoot and carry mostly 1911s but my summer gun is a G36 (feels like a 1911) but i have been praying to the springfield gods to make a single stack .45 XD

well they did not but the .45 XD is close almost same grip size as my G36 tad larger but DAMN nice to shoot
    feels better the the 36 IMHO but too many guns right now to buy a XD but i know after i shoot my Bro-inlaws more and more im gonna end up with a compact

JD

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    If your going for a compact I would just go ahead with the XD. I've had no problems with my XD9 (even though it's the service size, not a compact) and it is fun to shoot. If you were going for the full size I would stick with the 1911, but I prefer heavier pistols just because my first pistol was a Peacemaker.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

if it's down to those 2, get the XD 45 compact plus a nice holster and $200 worth of ammo for the price of the 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by cnova View Post
    I have an XD subcompact and a Kimber ultra carry both in 40 cal. I like the XD but love my Kimber. the 1911 is thinner than the Xd and for me i shoot it alot better. My Xd holds 2 more rounds then my kimber,but i look at it this way shot placement and i dont think i will need the 2 more rounds. So that being said i would go with the 1911.

OR you can buy my XD S/C 40 cal i would like to sell it.
    How Much?

I still like my Springfield's that are 1911. Steve48

I think it comes down to what platform you prefer to shoot. For me, it's no contest. I'll pick the 1911 every time. I love my Kimber Ultra -- it's a great shooter and very comfortable to carry.

It's very much a matter of personal preference, however. Go with what feels best to you.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I am a fan of both the 1911 and XD, so this is a hard call to make. However, seeing the versatility of the new XD Compact, I would have to vote for it. According to SA, the 1911 Ultra Compact is 5" (h) x 7.2" (l) with a 3.5" barrel, 6+1 rounds, and 33oz. The XD Compact is 5/5.75" (h) x 7.3" (l) with a 4.04" barrel, 10+1/13+1 rounds, and 29/30oz. (Key: X/Y = with Compact Mag/with Extended Mag) The XD Compact can also be had with a 5" barrel if that strikes your fancy.

I'd personally get the XD Compact over the 1911 Ultra Compact. I have a SA Loaded Champion @ 4" and a Para Ord Slim Hawg @ 3".

Regardless which you decide, both are excellent guns for an exceelent manufacturer.

I have several 1911's and two XD's (XD Service and XD9Sc). All my guns are either reliable out of the box, or made to be reliable, or they don't remain in my collection very long. In fact my 1911's and XD's were highly reliable NIB and have remained that way. I just don't prefer one over the other for that.

However, the idea of carrying 27 rounds (mag + extra mag) is pretty hard to turn down. My XD45 is my daily carry piece.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

XD 45 compact is an absolute pleasure to shoot. You just can't beat the choise of two grip and capasity sizes with the magazines provided either.
    Evil does not have to come as a Tidal Wave...Even ripples in a lake with time can bring down a Sea Wall...Let's be a WALL...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links