is it me, or are gunshows a waste of time nowdays? - Page 2

is it me, or are gunshows a waste of time nowdays?

This is a discussion on is it me, or are gunshows a waste of time nowdays? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like gun shows. I just wish people would treat me more like a customer instead of the girlfriend being drug along against her will....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: is it me, or are gunshows a waste of time nowdays?

Senior Moderator
    I like gun shows. I just wish people would treat me more like a customer instead of the girlfriend being drug along against her will.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I would tend to agree, but at the last show I went to I picked up my S&W 642 NIB for 319.00. This was a great deal, but I think it was due to a pricing error. The only good deals I see are on ammo.

Too bad really. It does give me the excuse to fondle guns all day though.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I like gun shows. I just wish people would treat me more like a customer instead of the girlfriend being drug along against her will.
    Glad to hear of some ladys going to the shows to shop and buy. I love to see that. My wife goes to look at the swords and antique guns. She is not a consumer (too bad).

You might try slinging a shotgun across your sholder or wear a manufacturers shirt. It's ashame that you have a hard time getting getting help. If open carry is legal there just strap that Kimber on your hip. That should send the right message.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

What I cannot stand is most of the crap that is sold there. The last show I was at had (IMO) waaaayy too much Nazi uniforms, patches, "memorabilia". After about 20 mins, I left...everything overpriced and my wife giving me "the eye"--as this was her first gunshow.

Senior Moderator
    I go knowing what I'm looking for and how much I want to spend. I also like to look at new guns and handle some I haven't held before.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

is it me, or are gunshows a waste of time nowdays?
    Yes.

Mostly, they're a waste. Now and then, a good deal can be found, but so little of true value seems to be common.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    Glad to hear of some ladys going to the shows to shop and buy. I love to see that. My wife goes to look at the swords and antique guns. She is not a consumer (too bad).

You might try slinging a shotgun across your sholder or wear a manufacturers shirt. It's ashame that you have a hard time getting getting help. If open carry is legal there just strap that Kimber on your hip. That should send the right message.
    I remember how the time I helped out my local dealer at a show and this couple with a child comes up looking to trade in a handgun for a better one. They looked through the cases and picked out a couple they liked. Well, they said that they had to come back with the one they already had. No problem. We'll be here all day. When they returned, the guy decided that he didn't want to spend the money to get what they wanted. No biggie. We had plenty of other customers to help out. About 30 minutes later, the wife comes back, by herself, and makes the deal. it seems that she left him in the car with their child while she came in an made the purchase. I had to laugh a bit afterwards as usually it is the husband who cames back and makes the deal.

I've been to a lot of gunshows. I have bought only one gun at a show, and it was a flintlock. I go there because I learn a lot - not for pennies-on-the-dollar bargains. Be realistic in your expectations and you will enjoy them as much as I do. Take a business card from people who have stuff you might like. You may be pleasantly surprised with what you can get and how much you spend.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I often find decent deals on reloading components, there's a couple of gun stores around that price their used guns to go, hard to beat them.

VIP Member
    I go to gunshows because I enjoy getting to know people. As a result I have three dealers who will sell me just about anything they have at cost plus $25. A friend told me not long ago that there are at least 3 great deals at every gunshow and all you have to do is find them. I have found 2 or 3 of them over the past 7 or 8 months. The last two gunshows I went to I spent the admission and nothing more. I talked to dealers, I hunted for guns that friends were looking for, I picked brains, I made some mental notes about some guns for the future and I had a good time for practically nothing.

I have learned a great deal about haggling and walking away over the past year. I have walked away several times and wished I hadn't, but I got over it and decided I made the right decision. I have also started to walk away and had the dealer give me the price I had decided I would be willing to pay. The thing I aways remind myself of as I go in the gate is: I don't have to have anything that is here. As long as I remember that I can walk away and feel good regardless of what happens.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I have stayed away the last few years...

No concealed carry?
    Too many idiots handle the weapons...
    Too crowded...
    Too expensive for many items...

I'll stick with the gun shops I continue to patronize...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN View Post
    true, last show was $4.00 parking and $8.00 to get in

well a new stock glock 23 or 27 goes for $485.00 to $519.00 around here, offered two different dealers $450.00 for their used 23 or 27, thats seems like a fair price in my mind, well they acted offended and said a sarcastic "good luck"

by the way glock had a booth there, you would think their rep would be carrying his glock in a semi-professional manner right? he had a "clip draw" put on left handed and the pistol was hanging off his right pocket by the clip just flopping around in the breeze
    I DO hear ya on everything you said. There are some shows that are pretty worthless. We have several in the Ma/NH/Me area, that are really good. Most of everything is negotiable, but there are some that hang on for the last penny (mainly because they paid too much for their wares in the first place.

George, GREAT info you've provided regarding the shows, and yes, there are good deals, ya just gotta be there to find em. Most of the time, it's a thing of I wish i did the deal type thing, but we all get over it, cuz there's another deal to follow at some point in time.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I am not really interested in bargains at gun shows, but I do expect reasonable prices. I had a dealer trying to sell me a used gun as new at NIB price...he flat out lied to my face and to another customer standing next to me. The more I go it really does seem that gun shows prey more upon the ignorant, and I can't help but notice (as another member previously stated) all the airsoft, mall ninja junk.

It really does seem like the quality of these shows is declining, as well as the quality of vendors and their attitudes.

The only event that I really consider a "gunshow", and that I would like to attend, is the ShotShow or some weapons expo.

Just my 2 cents

Do your homework before you go to the show, have cash, and on the second day, pick your bargain. There are also a ton of individuals with guns they are willing to turn cheap so they can go buy that $800 AK made in Romania. I have purchased at least a minimum of 30 firearms at shows. When I was a dealer, I made many, many purchases. Most folks don't know crap about what a gun is worth, so they get reeled in by some of the guys selling their Jennings, Bryco's, etc. Those are the folks I steer clear of. Remember, most out there are just normal folks, skating through life going by what their friend or family member say. They do not take the time to know their stuff. The informed buyer can do well at shows.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links