is it me, or are gunshows a waste of time nowdays?

This is a discussion on is it me, or are gunshows a waste of time nowdays? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I go every once in awhile. I have found several good deals, and as previously noted I have found several dealers that I have bought ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: is it me, or are gunshows a waste of time nowdays?

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I go every once in awhile. I have found several good deals, and as previously noted I have found several dealers that I have bought from later at very good prices. And I go looking for that hard to find item that it out of stock elsewhere.

2. Remove Ads

I have had good luck the last couple time. Prices are higher.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

In the Ft.Worth/Dallas there are two gun show producers that conduct shows a couple of times a year, usually a week apart. One of the producers has chased most of the dealers off, and attendance reflects it. He will not rent a table to a non-lisenced dealer, and his table prices are tooooo high. The other one is pretty good, with high attendance. No real bargins, unless you are looking for candles or jerky. After a $7.00 entry fee and $1.50 coffee, that small "savings" on the ammo is long gone. I want my local gunshop to stay in business, so I'll pay more.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I like gun shows. I just wish people would treat me more like a customer instead of the girlfriend being drug along against her will.
    I personally find this to be a problem in the entire industry and not just at gun shows. My favorite gun store receives my business because I noticed the employees didn't treat women like children.

When I took my fiance to pick out her first handgun, every person we ended up talking to talked down to her. "That's too big for you." "That won't fit in your purse." Blah blah blah. Made me feel like slugging them.

Imo a lot of the victories in the gun rights movement are because of the involvement of women. Some people in the gun crowd need to get that through their heads.

Well, I didn't intend for that to become a rant, but it's done now.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    I agree it seems more difficult to find a fair price on a firearm at a gun show than it used to. I have found good prices on ammo and on some accessories. I also like the people watching and looking at all the different guns and accessories under one roof. I have attended the big Wanamacher show in Tulsa off and on for 25 years (not as often lately as I used to live much closer to Tulsa). This show claims to be the biggest in the world and if it isn't I'd like to see the biggest. Bargains are harder to find, but for any gun enthusiast I would recommend it.
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Loving Liveral View Post
    I agree it seems more difficult to find a fair price on a firearm at a gun show than it used to. I have found good prices on ammo and on some accessories. I also like the people watching and looking at all the different guns and accessories under one roof. I have attended the big Wanamacher show in Tulsa off and on for 25 years (not as often lately as I used to live much closer to Tulsa). This show claims to be the biggest in the world and if it isn't I'd like to see the biggest. Bargains are harder to find, but for any gun enthusiast I would recommend it.
    thats the one i im missing, the expo center center was so big they would have monster truck races in the lower 1/4 of the building, bleachers and all. the gun shows would fill most of the center.

They are a waste of time. I bought a box of Magtech ammo at the last one and it turned out to be as old as dirt. An absolute waste of money.
    GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN View Post
    last few years they have gotten worthless, i think the show i just went to will be the last, any good used stuff is priced as new, there is fewer booths, and the airsoft and mall ninja booths are taking over, 5-10 years ago i would go with my father to shows in Tulsa, Ok and it took the half the day to walk thru the whole thing, and we usually left with both arms full of bargains, ahh the good 'ol days, i still have a 1960's winchester 12 gauge i picked up for $40.00.......... pardon my rant, i went to the show here sunday hoping to get a good deal on a glock, well even a well used 23 with half the finish worn off was going for $525.00
    Ya, they are great if you live in Bum**** Egypt where there are no
    Gun stores around.
    Other than that, I would rather buy from a dealer that I can re-visit for a problem.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN View Post
    last few years they have gotten worthless . . .hoping to get a good deal on a glock, well even a well used 23 with half the finish worn off was going for $525.00
    Did you check it out fully? It might have had tritium sights or a Lasermax.

I saw a $725 XD at a gun show two weeks ago. I was like WhAt?! But then I realized it had a Lasermax in it. (I don't know if that justifies such a jump in price, though. Don't Lasermax units cost only about a hundred or two? I might be off.)

I have to agree that "junk tables" full of plastic toys and crappy novelty merchandise have been allowed to proliferate (at least at the ONE gun show I go to with any regularity -- the one at the South Florida Fairgrounds in West Palm Beach).

One table was selling the S&W M&P for a $499 show special, though. Isn't that a good price? (I don't know, since I have not shopped around for them.) I went to the show to pick up and handle a lot of guns I haven't had a chance to see in person, like the XD and the M&P. I had no intention of buying a gun on this day, so I did not waste sellers' time with questions. All I wanted was to be left alone to browse, really. The young guy manning the small part of the very long table that had the M&P seemed almost insulted when I said that I was not in the market to spend the money on a gun at this point. Like just because it was only $499, I should buy a gun that I really don't want, and can't afford to buy right now anyway?!

The two good knife sellers that I used to know at the S. FL show did not seem to be present. One is "Buck's Knives" (he has a lot of really good stuff, like Spyderco, Benchmade, and Chris Reeve, along with the United Cutlery crap and the Gil Hibben fantasy schlock.) Buck's Knives was mentioned in Thomas Harris' "Hannibal." It's where Hannibal Lechter bought his Spyderco Harpy! (I mentioned this to Buck at the show one time, after I had read the novel, and asked him if Harris had actually consulted with him or something. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it seemed like he was saying yes, he was the "Buck" Harris wrote of.) The other seller was a guy named Roland, a small man of Asian or south Pacific descent (looks-wise) who was VERY knowledgeable and helpful, and carried a good line of stuff, mostly Spyderco. He didn't deal in any crap. Awesome knife sharpening skills, too. He whipped a razor edge onto my Walker Linerlock and ended up selling me a Spyderco ProFile.

Those guys were nowhere to be found, and as far as knives, all I saw was junk, and one table with a moderate Spyderco table selling at what seemed to be full retail.

I go to the shows less and less, too.

is it me, or are gunshows a waste of time nowdays?

...last one I went to had more junk than anything else, yep that's where the terrorists get their guns, you know AK-47s and .50cal sniper rifles, sure is

They are great if you want Third Reich memorabilia or CCW badges...I found those in abundance at the one I went to last month....

Years ago I decided to buy only new guns; have never bought a used one and that's worked out very well for me. I find my best deals on new guns by shopping reputable dealers, including online.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

You guys need to move to the Tulsa area. It seems there is a large gun show every two or three months. Saturday [tomorrow] is the grand national gun and knife show. Eat your heart out !!!!!!!!!!!!

me

I have only been to One

but the one I went too was not too bad for what I wanted. I went to fondle some different guns and figure out what I wanted to buy. That is what I did I decided on my next gun (comming soon) but i was not looking for bargines or even to buy.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I used to be a regular on the circuit. Always made a deal,got to know some good people. Few years ago the prices just got to be ridiculous and the newer dealers didn't haggle. $600 for used revovlers ? They only asked $400 if they did not say S&W. If there is ammo I want at 14.50 a box and I offer $14 for all thats on the table it used to be a done deal. The last show I went to at least 3 different dealers flat out said no. I went home and got the same stuff on the net for about a dollars less including shipping. I will gladly keep $ local if I can but money talks.

I go to about half the ones locally. I don't find many good deals, but they are a place to look at a few new items and run across some unusual things. My problem is all the JUNK they let in locally. A friend of mine calls it a "Sword and Beanie Baby Show" instead of gun show.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links