is it me, or are gunshows a waste of time nowdays?

This is a discussion on is it me, or are gunshows a waste of time nowdays? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree I have not been too happy with the last few I have been to....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: is it me, or are gunshows a waste of time nowdays?

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I agree I have not been too happy with the last few I have been to.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

2. Remove Ads

the last several shows that i went to were the knife and jerky shows. no deals, all guns, new and used were $$$ high. ammo, mags and all other items were also high. don't know why i still go, must think i am back in the 70's where i could get all the parts to build a 1911. not now, and i go home and buy from the net.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by ropinghorns View Post
    You guys need to move to the Tulsa area. It seems there is a large gun show every two or three months. Saturday [tomorrow] is the grand national gun and knife show. Eat your heart out !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wish we had real gun shows here... but most of the time it's overpriced old tired stuff, overpriced new stuff, local Republican shows up for photo-ops, Fleabay next door, and more Paladin press books than you can shake a stick at.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've got to agree. They're a waste of time now.

Years ago (not all that many- - 10 years ago, maybe?), the gun shows were kind of a campy get-together where you could find good deals on guns, or guns you couldn't find locally.

It's all way too expensive now. You might as well just go to the local shop and buy retail.

I don't know who to blame here, but it's all ruined from the way it used to be.

In Tulsa Wannenmacher's (sp?) used to be cheap to get into ($ 4.00), and you could walk around all day and not see the same thing twice. If you were interested in a particular gun, you could get a deal on it.

Now it costs too much to get in and there are no discounts.

There was a nasty rumor in T-town that when Mr. W. remarried, his new wife figured out that the gun shows could be sources of significant cash- - so out went the fun days of hanging around all day and collecting up a good deal here and there. The price of tables and door admission went up, so the odds of good deals went down.

It can't be all her fault, since it seems to be the case all over, not just Tulsa.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

One thing you all have to remember is that the dealers have even more competition than ever these days. Most of the ones I know have their margins set lower than they have ever had because they are not only competing with the other dealers in the area and at the show but also with the Internet auction sites. They just can't drop their prices much more at the shows or they will be giving them away at cost or below. Granted, there are still dealers who price way too high. And as a result, they are losing customers and/or going out of business.

At least this is what is happening around here. I don't know about everywhere of course.

I stopped going to gun shows when all the nazi stuff took over the tables lol. I have not actually bought a gun at a show for about 5 or 7 years now. No bargans.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Pritty much a waist of time. I just went to one this weekend. I saw a Rock Island .45 and a Charles Dailey for more then a Springfield. Unless you are after somthing exotic or watch some of the customers that come out from under rocks, I don't see a real reason to go to one.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Like you, I too, live on the Mexican border. I told an exhibiter at a gun show that I recently attended that I thought his prices were out of sight on his used handguns. He asked me if I had a CHL to which I applied affirmative. His answer was: "You can go to a legimate dealer and purchase a hand gun. These people here can't. "
    That sort of makes the price a non issue.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    What I can see the shows are geared now a days to the person who does not know much.
    Bingo.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member
    Sometimes you can still find that gem hiding somewhere. But honestly, the people selling know what their stuff is worth and aren't in business to get ripped off.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Even though I don't usually find anything interesting at the shows, I plan on attending a show in Moscow Idaho this weekend to talk with people about HR1022, which has 26 co-sponsors now...

I agree ,I get disappointed but I do like meeting old friends there. Steve48

Gunshows operate under a code of caveat emptor and, knowing that you should never get taken. I love going to a gun show as it is a real challenge to try to get a good deal. My advice is to prepare, prepare, prepare

Know what you want (or might want) and do some research as to what the value of a particular firearm is in your area. I have had sellers berate me with, "well this thunderblaster is worth -insert outrageous price - in Dallas!" Of course, you aren't in Dallas and that makes no difference but what the heck - the seller will try anything.

Maker sure the firearm is in good shape. There are an awful lot of dogs out there with high price tags.

Don't be quick to act! Sellers are usually quite anxious to make a sale and if you appear reticent they might come down. I usually state a price that I am willing to pay - and if they don't like that - I move on. Come by later and see what the seller's attitude is after he has had some time to think about it.

I make my best purchases late in the day. If a seller has not had a good selling day they are usually much more amenable to hard bargaining late in the day.

I look at gun shows as a kind of sport. Sometimes I bag my quarry and sometimes I don't. But, those times when I "win one" feel pretty good to me. Yeah, the days of easy gunshow bargains are long gone but, if you do some work and preparation, some good deals can be had
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

When I go to gun shows, Im going there with the intention to BS with alot of other folks that are into guns too. If I come home with a gun, then that would be great, but I don't go expecting it. At the last gun show I went to I sold my almost brand new G37 because ammo prices were killing me, sold it for $450. I carry my bluebook around and check out all the tables. Sometimes you get some dirty looks when you look up the price on gun that the seller knows they have over-priced for a newby to come along and buy. I have no problem spending the going rate for a gun I want, I just don't want to get screwed. Every once in awhile you find a good deal, but all in all, I still like going to the gun shows. One change I think they need to make tho, Is allowing guns and knives only, and cut all these other BS tables.

RB
    Been going to shows only since 1999 but, last year all of a sudden, the cheap surplus ammo vanished.

What happened?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links