is it me, or are gunshows a waste of time nowdays?

This is a discussion on is it me, or are gunshows a waste of time nowdays? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; last few years they have gotten worthless, i think the show i just went to will be the last, any good used stuff is priced ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: is it me, or are gunshows a waste of time nowdays?

last few years they have gotten worthless, i think the show i just went to will be the last, any good used stuff is priced as new, there is fewer booths, and the airsoft and mall ninja booths are taking over, 5-10 years ago i would go with my father to shows in Tulsa, Ok and it took the half the day to walk thru the whole thing, and we usually left with both arms full of bargains, ahh the good 'ol days, i still have a 1960's winchester 12 gauge i picked up for $40.00.......... pardon my rant, i went to the show here sunday hoping to get a good deal on a glock, well even a well used 23 with half the finish worn off was going for $525.00

looks like they were trying to take someone for a ride....lol

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I believe a part of the reason is the internet, and sites like auctionarms, etc. we no longer really have "local" markets for used guns- you can sell and ship across the country. since sellers want the highest (net) price, and it is quite unlikely that price is to be had at the VFW post in Tulsa on some given Sunday, well, you get the idea. This is not all bad, of course- if you are selling, you benefit, and the choices are much much wider than in the past. But the fun of looking for that bargain is fading, that is for sure!
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

We get two different shows in my area, one has decent deals on accessories but gun prices and selection suck. The other show is slightly better for guns but not much in the way of accessories and ammo deals - at least that's the way it was last time I went to them. I agree though, in general the lack of deals to be had can make even the admission fee seem unreasonable ... maybe that's why I haven't been to a show in so long.
    Jack

VIP Member
    What I can see the shows are geared now a days to the person who does not know much. I see very few bargins as I once saw. Still around here the best bargin is buying from the individual who brought his firearm to sell or trade to a dealer. But I still go to the gunshows hopeing to find that Colt 45 in a 70 ser.. Seen many, just not in my price range.

I think the gun shows are great for accessories, chatting with some acquaintances and watching people. Occasionally I get a good deal on a gun. They are good entertainment and well worth the time and cost of admission.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

From a former dealer's perspective, the shows are a good way to generate new customers to your shop/store. bear in mine EVERYTHING is negotiable at a show. Prices may not be so inviting at the store though. Its more so, the dealers get together, and have their own swap shop thing during that time. Needless to say, it's a good time to wheel and deal for the Customer as well, because most of the items brought, are the ones the dealers aren't selling like hotcakes, or may be consignment guns.
    Part, accys, Militaria, and hard to find items are usually a draw for most people who go to the shows.
    If you set your sights on one or two specific items, you'll find what you're looking for, at a price you can live with.
    Don't rule out the guys (the guy who paid his admission to the show) who are milling around, with a trade/sell in their hands, cuz you can wheel and deal with them and get what you're looking for. heck, the "transfer dealer" is right there to do the personal sale for the two of you.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

We have on the the 3rd of next month that I think I will go to. I usually leave them asking myself why I wasted a couple hours of my time and 7 bucks, but hopefully this time I will find a decent deal on AK mags. I won't hold my breath though.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    I look at them as a social event.

I still find good deals every now & then, but you get the chance to pick stuff up & look & feel it. (that's hard to do over the internet)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    I have seen a decline in the bargains and deals offered over the past ten years or so. Everybody wants top dollar for whatever it is they are selling, simply because its theirs. I still go on occasion because if you talk to the guys walking around with guns to trade, you can still pick up a good deal. Its a lot of effort though, because most of these guns are garbage. Once in awhile you find a good one though.

I pretty much stopped going to the public shows a long time ago, unless I know someone is trying to dump an item I want. I pretty much stick to the private club shows now, you dont have near as much BS. (mall ninjas and bubba that takes up a whole isle on his own, etc.) Everyone there is a serious buyer, very few tire kickers.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I haven't been to a good gun show since the seventys. most of the smaller shows have turned into swap meets that sell a buntch of stuff that has nothing to do with guns. The best show I've been to is the Lakeland Florida show. The last gun show I went to was in sanford civic center and was canceled without notice so sanford could have a bicicle race. A lot of people drove a long way for nothing. This was two weeks ago.

I go hoping for the best, but you just get what you get. The big gun show of the year is in April... hopefully I will score some ammo, but I am not holding my breath.
    CZ 75 PCR
    Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    I usually leave them asking myself why I wasted a couple hours of my time and 7 bucks,
    true, last show was $4.00 parking and $8.00 to get in

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    EVERYTHING is negotiable at a show.
    well a new stock glock 23 or 27 goes for $485.00 to $519.00 around here, offered two different dealers $450.00 for their used 23 or 27, thats seems like a fair price in my mind, well they acted offended and said a sarcastic "good luck"

by the way glock had a booth there, you would think their rep would be carrying his glock in a semi-professional manner right? he had a "clip draw" put on left handed and the pistol was hanging off his right pocket by the clip just flopping around in the breeze

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Yeah, I went to one in Fort Worth last year that was really disappointing... but it was the first one I had been to in decades. I reckon things have changed a mite.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

We have an excellent gun show the first weekend of each month. Lots of dealers, lots of customers. The best thing about it is that there's a huge selection of weapons, accessories, ammo, etc. There's a good chance you can find a specific weapon when you go there.

While you're not likely to find a lot real "steals", the prices are better than your likely to find at retail shops. The more knowledge you have ahead of time, the better. I always check the current lowest prices of weapons being offered on the net, then use that when I negotiate with a gun show dealer. Ammunition is one of the best buys. I've gotten very good prices on self-defense ammo, such as Winchester Ranger SXT, as well as practice ammo, e.g., Winchester White Box. Case prices are available and cash can get you a better price than a credit card.

If you don't know much about gun values, you can definitely make a bad bargain, but isn't that the case at retail shops, too? And unlike the online market, you do get a chance at hands-on before purchase.

Because there are so many dealers, there's the opportunity to compare prices at the show, so competition can be a good thing.

On the other hand, in other areas I've been to gun shows that were so poorly attended by both dealers and customers that they were pretty worthless. If you go for the big, well-attended shows, you can have a good experience, and still find some good deals.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links