1911 Question

1911 Question

This is a discussion on 1911 Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been shooting on a regular basis for a little more than a year now. A Glock 23 was the first gun I purchased. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Question

1911 Question

I have been shooting on a regular basis for a little more than a year now. A Glock 23 was the first gun I purchased. I became very comfortable with it and carry it regularly. I have been interested in 1911s for some time and bought one (Kimber Tactical Pro II) about a month ago. I am currently "breaking it in" before I use the Kimber for my daily carry.

When I shoot the Glock I get very little "black stuff" on my hands or fingers. However when shooting the Kimber, my hands are covered in it. I don't know if this is normal or if I am using too much lube, not enough etc. Anyone else experience this kind of thing?

For what it is worth, I have about 300 rounds through the Kimber so far, 100 WWB and 200 of CCI Blazer. I have several 1000s of rounds through the Glock.

Did you run any from that same box of CCI's through your G23? I don't know about anyone else but I was NEVER impressed with those Blazers. They always fouled up my 1911 fast with lots of extra black muck (and usually leftover unburned powder too). Although I don't remember it getting into my hands like that (unless in a crowded indoor range and then EVERYTHING is covered in black stuff).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I've never had that problem with my Kimber. Although I've only ever used MagTech and Winchester ammo. I've got about 800-1000 rounds through her.

I've never had that problem with my Kimber 1911s, but I have heard that Blazer is dirtier ammo. I've never much cared for it because it seems to be inconsistent in bullet seating depth. I usually use Winchester White box for FMJ range ammo. If you're over-lubing, that could cause more gunk on your hands.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

sounds like powder residue to me
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

My Kimber's...

are clean machines...never had that problem...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I noticed the same thing with the Blazers the one and only time I used them.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I shoot Blazer at the indoor all the time in my Kimbers and all other guns. I have never experienced issues with it. Great indoor stuff when it is intermixing with everyone else's brass. Outdoors, Whitebox and save the brass.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Inevitable

I shoot lots of different handguns and types of ammo at the range, and after a couple of hundred rounds I always have some black stuff on my strong hand fingers, especially the thumb and trigger finger. I believe it is powder residue. As soon as I finish shooting I go and wash my hands very thoroughly with soap and hot water, and 98% of the black stuff goes away.

I don't consider it a problem, but just a reality of shooting handguns.

You want black stuff, shoot a revolver with loads rolled with Unique powder....Break out the Hoppes and prepare to rub...Now that is some dirty stuff. Just goes with the game...
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Try switching your ammo. Blazer is one of the dirtiest ones out there, but it may be that your gun is not liking that particular kind. I have seen some glock pistols not like a certain brand/lott of ammo that was shooting just fine in other pistols of the same model. I would suspect that your kimber is not liking that particular ammo. Break it down and clean it thoroughly then try out some different stuff.

Let us know what happens.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    I've noticed at the range that loading magazines is what makes my hands dirty...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Blazer and WWB are 2 of the dirtiest ammos out there and like TA said above its probley from reloading mags

course if the spots your seeing are wet then yeah your using too much lube

Blazer Brass is cheap, reliable and dirty

In my Pro CDP II, I primarily use Blazer brass, due to affordability, at the range and for IDPA sessions. I do not see any black spots on my hands like you are describing other than my thumb and forefinger becoming black due to loading mags. Sounds like over lube spray caused by the slide actuations. * I also have been know to use Winchester White and again, no issues.

Do you shoot left or right?

If you shoot left, it could be unfired powder coming out the fired brass during extractiuon.
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

Powder residue most likely. I get them on my reloads at times with certain powders. Steve48

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links