What should I get next?

This is a discussion on What should I get next? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im beginning to feel a need to make sure I have something in every (common) handgun caliber. Anyway its a great excuse to buy things ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should I get next?

What should I get next?

Im beginning to feel a need to make sure I have something in every (common) handgun caliber. Anyway its a great excuse to buy things

I have:
    S&W Model 60 snub .38/357
    Glock 19

Im thinking my next logical progression would be a 40 or 45. I dont know if I want a 40 anytime soon though, because in comparison to the 9mm the advice Ive heard is theres no point in them.

Smaller calibers are really just to pack more easily, correct? If so, im not having any problems packing what I have now. That said, I dont want to get something HUGE, I kind of want all my handguns to be pretty easy to carry concealed.

so, what would your thoughts be if your personal collection was as small as mine with the concerns Ive listed above?

2. Remove Ads

A New Address?

Chicago isn't going to be real supportive of another gun purchase...

If that's not an option...

A Kimber Ultra should treat you well...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

well, i can buy as many as I like, just not carry them till I drive to a neighboring state. Still...Its worth having a collection and shooting them at the range.

I have .22, .32, .38, .380, 9mm, .40 and .45. There is a benefit of .40 over 9mm, it is significant enough that a lot of LE Agencies have switched to .40.
    I carry a Taurus 24/7 in .40. That gives me 15 rounds of effective ammo in a handgun that I can still conceal. Not a bad equation from my perspective.
    But if you are sold on going to .45 first then that is a very good choice too, lots of options for both calibers.

How much did you want to spend?
    What capacity (I know you're in IL) do you prefer?
    Is this a gun you want to conceal one day?

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Hmmm.....decisions decisions!! Personally, I don't think any pistol collection is complete without a 1911 of some type. I really love the design of the 1911. They are simple to care for, the single action trigger can't be beat (IMHO) and they are very safe. And nowadays you can a 1911 in quite a few calibers other than .45 (9mm, .40, and .38 super-am I forgetting any?).
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Everybody NEEDS a .45 of some sort.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    am I forgetting any?).
    10mm

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    thanks 0.02 - knew I could count on someone pickin' up the slack for my failing memory!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

45 & 10mm + 45GAP....
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

My vote is for a .45 You can't beat a good 1911. Good luck with your decision !
    Last edited by COWBOYF550; February 23rd, 2007 at 01:55 AM.

1911 or P series Sig

I think you should get a 1911 in .45 caliber or a P series Sig in .40 or .45 caliber. I say this because the 1911 is just a classic gun that performs very well in many roles, and the P series Sigs are probably the finest examples of the modern double action/single action pistols.

If you get a 1911, I'd look at a Kimber or Colt in "commander" size, with the 4 to 4.25 inch barrel. These are great range guns that can also be carried. You could get either all steel or aluminum frame, depending on your preference for weight in the gun.

If you went with a Sig, I'd recommend the P229 model in .40 caliber, or the P220 carry model in .45 caliber. Here is a picture from the Sig website of one of their P220 carry versions, the SAS with double action only trigger:

I love my P229SAS like the pic above. It is my everyday carry piece.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

I didnt want to dis anyone who chose 40--I meant that I heard it was too close to 9mm to justify spending ($600s) to diversify my collection.

I think Ill eventually have one of everything someday, I just want variety (yet nothing rare) for now.

I am buying an Advantage Arms .22 kit for my Glock as soon as I can get one from the factory next month.

just to clarify i kind of want to keep it between $600 and $800

If you really want to diversify I would look at an L-Frame Smith in .357 Mag or a .45 acp Revolver.

With a 4" barrel both are easy enough to conceal and carry. Shooting a Revolver is a totally different ball of wax than what you are currently shooting.

I started on wheelguns years ago, went to the autoloader and now I'm back to wheelguns. Take a look at the S&W 625 or the Model 21 or 22. Now that I'm back in to wheelguns I'm taking a job that will issue me an autoloader.

Oh well, when I'm off-duty I will carry two wheelguns on my CCW.

Biker

Administrator
    .45. You need a .45 without a doubt.
    I know we are talking about handguns here, but if you dont have a good shotgun (12ga) get that first. A shotgun can take on any role you want it to. Then get a .22 rifle.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links