I have always wanted a J Frame...

This is a discussion on I have always wanted a J Frame... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I put one on order at my lgs. I sold my Bodyguard 380 last week, so I was in need of another gun for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: I have always wanted a J Frame...

So I put one on order at my lgs. I sold my Bodyguard 380 last week, so I was in need of another gun for pocket/ankle carry. I decided on a Smith and Wesson 642. I went to my lgs this weekend, and they didn't have one in stock. I checked out the Ruger LCR and S&W Bodyguard 38, but just don't care for the polymer part of the frame. I like the classic look of revolvers and really wanted all metal construction in a stainless finish. I can't wait to pick it up at the end of the week.

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    The J-frame is always a good choice.

Welcome to DC.com!

As a LCR owner, the J frame is a good choice. I just like the way the LCR shoots....
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

The J frame is the classic revolver most of us started with. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    The J-frame is always a good choice.

Welcome to DC.com!
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    As a LCR owner, the J frame is a good choice. I just like the way the LCR shoots....
    I like the way the LCR felt in my hand, and I really liked the trigger. I may pick one up in the future. This is my first revolver, and I chose the 642 over the LCR only because it looked the way I wanted. I was really tempted to take the LCR home with me instead, though!

The Air-weight J-Frame has always been the go to gun when concealment, weight, size, power and reliability is considered. There is no better gun ever designed that matches up. Get some speed strips and inert training rounds and practice reloading. The Speer Gold Dots 135 Gr Plus P is a nice carry round. Use FMJ (round nose) as the round in you're speed strips and speed loaders, you will find they load into the cylinders the smoothest. I know they over penetrate and don't expand, etc. but if you have to reload a five shot revolver you are in deep sh**t anyway, speed will be of essence. test the difference between loading a large hollow point (or full or semi wadcutters) and a round FMJ. You will put the hollow points back in the safe after speed testing.

There's a reason why J-frames are so often out-of-stock. It's a supply & demand thing. S&W is beating-cheeks trying to "supply" in response to over-whelming "demand". In a free-market economy, that's a good indicator that you've made a... WISE CHOICE. Congrats on your patience, no compromise, in waiting to get what you "always wanted". You won't be disappointed.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have a Smith 60-7 and a 442. You made a good choice with that 642.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock_User View Post
    The Air-weight J-Frame has always been the go to gun when concealment, weight, size, power and reliability is considered. There is no better gun ever designed that matches up. Get some speed strips and inert training rounds and practice reloading. The Speer Gold Dots 135 Gr Plus P is a nice carry round. Use FMJ (round nose) as the round in you're speed strips and speed loaders, you will find they load into the cylinders the smoothest. I know they over penetrate and don't expand, etc. but if you have to reload a five shot revolver you are in deep sh**t anyway, speed will be of essence. test the difference between loading a large hollow point (or full or semi wadcutters) and a round FMJ. You will put the hollow points back in the safe after speed testing.
    Thanks for the advice. I am planning on using Speer Gold Dot, but using fmj's for reloads is something I had not thought of. Makes sense!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sponsor
    Nice pick up,
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Or carry an LCP as your reload.....
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    Boy, you hit it right on the head Chief. I've been a J frame lover all my adult life. Got a couple and love them, but I carry my KLCR .357 because it shoots so much better than my 642. In fact, to my surprise, it outshoots my 2.25" SP101! Speaking of the SP101, that's a dandy too!
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Everyone needs at least one J frame. I carry at least a 442 daily. Great gun, enjoy!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    Boy, you hit it right on the head Chief. I've been a J frame lover all my adult life. Got a couple and love them, but I carry my KLCR .357 because it shoots so much better than my 642. In fact, to my surprise, it outshoots my 2.25" SP101! Speaking of the SP101, that's a dandy too!
    I have one of those as well (SP101) DAO...LOL great minds think alike or something like that!!
    Bigsteve113 and gatorbait51 like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Distinguished Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Good choice on the 642 Irayfz6, you won't be disappointed! As I state earlier, I carry my KLCR because it shoots so good, but don't misunderstand me, my 642 shoots great too. The 642 beats the KLCR on compactness too, but I like the .357 option. Additionally......the 642 is way sexier than the LCR!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links