An Instructor's Review Of The TDI Snubby Revolver Course I Attended

This is a discussion on An Instructor's Review Of The TDI Snubby Revolver Course I Attended within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; John Motil was an instructor, and wrote up this AAR. I agree with nearly all his observations, except the sights part. I had no trouble ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By Mike1956
  • 2 Post By RebelSoul
  • 1 Post By Haywood
  • 2 Post By wheelyfun101
  • 1 Post By lee n. field
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: An Instructor's Review Of The TDI Snubby Revolver Course I Attended

VIP Member

John Motil was an instructor, and wrote up this AAR. I agree with nearly all his observations, except the sights part. I had no trouble using the factory metal sights on my 940 J-frame. Mine was the 9mm which had rounds jumping crimp of which he spoke.

I fired over seven hundred rounds during the two day class. I probably fired more rounds than most, facilitated by my use of moon clips vs. the other conventional loading techniques. They make for quick reloads, and with ten of them loaded up in my jacket pocket, shooting and reloading was like eating potato chips. The J-frame is incredibly fun to shoot, particularly on steel.

I only had a few issues. Like I mentioned elsewhere, I had about ten cartridges jump crimp and cause malfunctions. After the first few, they became much easier to remedy.

I fired the first round on steel of the day on day one. The first round fired off the other lane sent a chunk of spall off the target into my nose and off my glasses. It would have a disaster had I been without eye protection.

I rested my thumb against the cylinder release once on the first day, which peeled the hide right off on recoil. I'm still wearing tape on that thumb. I also managed a trigger pinch, leaving a blood blister on my index finger.

The 9mm has a recoil between that of a .38 special and .357 magnum. Robust, but not at all unpleasant or painful even with the high round count.

I was surprised at the accuracy I was able to develop, even with the factory trigger pull. I was hitting the steel easily at twenty-five yards.

All in all, a fun, informative class on a platform from my youth. I don't see me carrying a J-frame as part of the line-up, but I would not hesitate to rely on it in a pinch.

Comments on TDI?s ?Snubby Revolver? Class | Active Response Training
    "Preparation and mindset are everything. Allowing one's mouth to write checks that one's butt is unable or unwilling to cash is foolish."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I don't see me carrying a J-frame as part of the line-up
    Blasphemy.
    gatorbait51 and Haywood like this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I read the coments on TDIs. I disagree with the " not to put XS Sights on the LCR." I shoot 130gr. 38 in my LCR357 and have no trouble with accuracy.
    tdave likes this.

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    Snubs remain a viable self defense weapon, and with a bit of practice (such as the OP seems to have been doing) they can be super accurate and relatively quick to reload.
    I took a snub fighting course with Michael deBethancourt a couple years ago.....learned a ton about rapid reloading......
    matthew03 and Phaedrus like this.

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Interesting link. As, linked form there were 4 or 5 other interesting articles on that site, and a couple on defensive revolver by Caleb Giddings on gunnuts.com. And I ended up clicking through to Amazon and buying Ed Lovett's snubby book.
    Haywood likes this.

Sponsor
    I keep the snub on point most of the time and understand my self imposed limitations with it over carrying another easier platform.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Good on you for taking the class!

How did you deal with the crimp jumping? How did you get the gun back into action?

As much as I am tempted by the thought of cheaper practice ammo, this issue has given me pause. That, and having to use moon clips instead of more easily concealed speed strips.

I'm seriously considering trading my pair of LCPs toward another LCR. The only question is another .38 snub...or wait for the hopefully forthcoming 3 inch .357 LCR...?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.

www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Good on you for taking the class!

How did you deal with the crimp jumping? How did you get the gun back into action?

As much as I am tempted by the thought of cheaper practice ammo, this issue has given me pause. That, and having to use moon clips instead of more easily concealed speed strips.

I'm seriously considering trading my pair of LCPs toward another LCR. The only question is another .38 snub...or wait for the hopefully forthcoming 3 inch .357 LCR...?
    For the rounds that didn't come completely apart, I just ejected the moon clip and reloaded. For the three that did come completely apart, gravity took care of the loose bullet problem once I turned the gun skyward. The loaded moon clips conceal easily enough, and are fast for reloading.
    "Preparation and mindset are everything. Allowing one's mouth to write checks that one's butt is unable or unwilling to cash is foolish."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    For the rounds that didn't come completely apart, I just ejected the moon clip and reloaded. For the three that did come completely apart, gravity took care of the loose bullet problem once I turned the gun skyward. The loaded moon clips conceal easily enough, and are fast for reloading.
    So the jumped crimp did not prevent you from opening the cylinder? Was it difficult to get open? How long did it take to clear the issue?

Thanks
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.

www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    So the jumped crimp did not prevent you from opening the cylinder? Was it difficult to get open? How long did it take to clear the issue?

Thanks
    The first complete separation fouled me up thoroughly, since it jammed the cylinder up and dumped powder in the chamber. The other times it happened, I merely tipped the muzzle upward prior to attempting to open the cylinder, which kept the bullet in the cylinder and the powder in the casing.
    10thmtn likes this.

I am kind of interested in the 9mm in a snub nosed. Can I ask if the crimp jump was +P or standard? Light or heavy loads? I would not rely on it as a main carry if that was an issue.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I am kind of interested in the 9mm in a snub nosed. Can I ask if the crimp jump was +P or standard? Light or heavy loads? I would not rely on it as a main carry if that was an issue.
    I was shooting factory WWB and Blazer Brass 115 grain round-nosed FMJ.

Good read Mike, but I can't get excited about the 9mm in a snub. The main reason for the snub (IMHO) is fool proof reliability in a small light package. Moon clips, unrimmed cases, and jumped bullet crimps steer me away. Good on you for training with a unique package. I've been packing a snub in lower threat situations in the warmer weather, but its always backed by an LCP just in case.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links