Is a KelTec Junk??

Is a KelTec Junk??

This is a discussion on Is a KelTec Junk?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems to me that a lot of people like the KelTec's. I'm looking for an easy to conceal single stack and the KelTec seems ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is a KelTec Junk??

Is a KelTec Junk??

It seems to me that a lot of people like the KelTec's. I'm looking for an easy to conceal single stack and the KelTec seems to fit what I'm looking for, but I have a problem with how cheap it looks and actually is. Is my perception of the KelTec misguided. I also can't spring for a Kimber yet?? How about the Kahr? Are they nice weapons?

VIP Member
    I can't speak for KelTecs because I've never owned one, but I will speak up for Kahr...my P9 has worked flawlessly right out of the box, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Thanks

Yeah I was looking at a CW9 that seemed like it would be a great CWP weapon.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I don't think keltek ever designed their guns with winning a beauty contest in their minds.

However I do agree with your feelings. All I can say is that I have never met anyone unhappy with them for what they offer. I have never experienced a malfunction while shooting one either.

With all that said, I personally am holding out for a kahr in .40 caliber. The damn wish list just keeps getting longer and longer.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The Kel Tecs are a good value. They're relatively inexpensive, light, & small. The newer models, or 3rd generation (I guess) are more refined than earlier ones. I don't personally own one, but have talked to many that seem to like them. A good friend of mine has the P-3AT (.380).

On paper, it's only about 1/4" shorter in length, & 1/2" less in height, & just over half the weight of a kahr PM9 (What I have). In my hand though, it seems much smaller than that. It's trigger feel is not as nice as my Kahr's either & sure doesn't feel well built.

However, plenty of people seem to love them. My Kahr has been very reliable, with no FTF's, but you will hear of some having problems. One thing about both Kahr & Kel Tec is their customer relations is excellent. Both companies back their product.

If money's an issue (When isn't it), you might want to check out the Taurus Mil Pro series (PT111 & PT145). A co-worker has a P111 (Not the Mil Pro, though). To me, it seems to feel like a higher quality weapon than the Kel Tecs. I don't know if they're as good as a Glock or Kahr, but I'm sure many will argue that they are. They're priced between the Kel Tecs & Glocks/Kahrs.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I have a keltec p32 and I like it. I only had problems with feeding during the initial break-in period. After that, it's ran flawless. I really enjoy the fact that the gun is so light you don't even notice it's there. Great deep concealment gun, or a good gun for when you are wearing clothing that just will not allow a big gun.

It's true, the trigger is not anything to write home about... but there are worse. It serves the purpose I needed it for. And it didn't break the bank either.

With keltec, if you have any problems.. contact them, and send it back. they will fix it. they stand behind their product 100 %. I have been told, that you literally can shoot the thing to death, and when it wears out, they will still replace it.

After J-frames they are most likely the most carried handgun by permit holders.

I have 1000's of rounds through my P11 and hundreds through my P32 and both have been reliable right out of the box. Some people limp wrist them because of the light weight but that is due to poor grip.

Bottom line they are a lot of 'Bang for the buck' in a carry gun. Kel-tec stands behind there guns like no other company and will send you free replacement parts by calling them.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

As was mentioned ..the trigger on the Kel-tec.
    I shot my dads and to me it was terrible.
    A mile of trigger pull.
    I personally would not own one but lotsa people do.

I just could not adjust to its the loooonnnnng double action trigger, for me its downfall.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I am hoping more folks will comment on the Kel-Tec's. I have been thinking of getting a P3AT, but have been waiting to see if the earlier problems have been resolved.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

They sure seem like it, when you pick one up. They're not made like SIGs, that's a fact. However, most every owner (of either a P11 or P3AT) that I've spoken to speaks very highly of them. My own P3AT is reliable and reasonably accurate. If it weren't reliable, I wouldn't carry it. There certainly isn't anything else that compares, size-wise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have two of them,a P3at and a p11.they look cheap but they work every time I pull the trigger.The p3at is in my pocket every time I put my pants on,it is the 2nd generation pistol.They had a few problems eith the 1st ones to come out,but they have the problems fixed now.My p11 is also very dependable.I bought it in 96 so I guess it is one of the 1st ones out.I know it is going to go bang every time I pull the trigger.The trigger is like a long hard double action revolver,but there is a place on mine I can feel right before it breaks,so I just go to that spot and when ready it just takes a little bit to fire it,Once I got used to it I have no problems with it.As everyone else says they will fix whatever problems you will ever have with their guns.For the money you can't beat them. sj

I like mine alot (p3at). However, I did find out last week that it hates Blazer ammo. Mine is very reliable with WWB, Remington UMC, and others.

As for accuracy, I can hit a paper plate at 5 yards with a quick draw nearly every time, so it's good enough for me. It's pretty snappy (being so light), so I limit my practice to 40-50 rounds. It hurts my trigger finger after that. Definately not a plinking gun, but a fantastic pocket gun.

They're not the prettiest guns though ...

I have a KelTec P32. Understand what they were designed to do. They are a pocket gun. I haven't had any problems with mine. It definately isn't a "looker", but who cares! It is my primary carry gun since I am in a suit and tie most days. In a backpocket holster it feels and prints like a wallet. I'd rather have my keltec with me than just harsh words to throw at a BG. Alot of gun for a little price. Get one and try it.
    Airborne!

Keltec's are not pretty but functional and if you look in the manual, they are built for about 6000 rounds. It's a last ditch gun!! Steve48

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I'm a Colt nut. Never thought I would like the Kel Tec. I bought a P11 and 3 holsters from Eric of HBE leather. The trigger spring has been replaced with a 7 pound instesd of the heavier one. The trigger is long but very positive.I have come to enjoy the little gun very much. Has never failed to go boom since I have had it. Execellent value and very dependable. Looks, well thats another story.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links