Help me narrow down a single stack 9 for my wife to try out.

This is a discussion on Help me narrow down a single stack 9 for my wife to try out. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife wants a smaller/lighter gun for carry. She currently carries an SR9c (28.9 oz with loaded 10 round mag) with finger extension that she ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Help me narrow down a single stack 9 for my wife to try out.

My wife wants a smaller/lighter gun for carry. She currently carries an SR9c (28.9 oz with loaded 10 round mag) with finger extension that she picked and likes to shoot. I took her to a few stores today and this is where we are at:

She wants a safety so she liked the 938, LC9s, and Shield.
    She wants to get three fingers on the pistol. She hates my CM9. This also counts out the 938 even though she liked the trigger.
    Obviously, it needs to be lighter and somewhat smaller than her current gun. She thought the XDs was too heavy.
    She wants a SA trigger. She hates revolver-like triggers.
    She wants it to fill her hands more than say an LCP. Her hands are about the size of medium-sized man hands.
    She doesn't want it to sting the web of her hand. She hates my LCP and my LCR.
    She wants it to be a quality piece. She doesn't trust brands like Taurus or Kel-Tec.

These are her observations combined with my suggestions. She would like to rent some and shoot them. I support this but finding all the guns at one range can be difficult. She seems to favor the LC9s and Shield. From what I've heard, the Shield has slightly less felt recoil than the LC9s. Anyways, I am going to try and find an LC9s and Shield 9 to try out. Am I forgetting anything else that is reasonably priced and fit her criteria?
    gatorbait51 and Bad Bob like this.

VIP Member
    She'll have to decide of course but my wife is tiny. 5 ft nothing and barely hits a buck on the scale. She carries the LC9s and absolutely loves it. It doesn't kick very much at all and for her small hands all the controls are easy to reach.
    gatorbait51 and Katana1 like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Shield.

That's good to know. My wife isn't tiny. She's 5'10'' and athletic. She shoots a 45 with ease. She just hates the sting that small, small handguns deliver. I know guys that hate that too.

My wife was a bit concerned with how light the pull was on the LC9s and the long reset. She has a tendency to short stroke triggers with a long reset. Of course, practice would help her out. Is that a concern for y'all?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

looks to me like she is going to have to refine her criteria a little. Smaller and lighter than an SR9c, but more "hand filling" than an LC9 - well, that almost mutually exclusive.

are ya'all comfortable with her packing a .380 ?? because smaller and lighter than a SR9c, but w/out the recoil will also be a tough niche to fill.

Honestly, I keep thinking of an old school PPK. it will have all of her desired criteria, be a DREAM to shoot, but probably weigh as much or more than the SR9c.

the only other one jumping to mind might be a Beretta PX4 sub-compact??

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/px4-storm-subcompact/ <- I can't speak to it's recoil....
    gatorbait51 and Nmuskier like this.
    "I tried talking them down. ...they made a grab for the girl. After that it was a short conversation."

"I am Wrath. I am Steel. I am the Mercy of Angels."

When my wife decided she wanted to carry I went and bought a g26 and a shield and let her try both. So far her fav is the g26. I think the g19 we rented a few times left her a little bias but if she's comfortable and confident that's what counts.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    The P938 fits three fingers with the 7 round mag.
    Add a Hogue grip and it fills your hand.

Of those you mentioned, the 938 would be the clear winner IMHO... and not just because we own two of them :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Of the ones mentioned, the 938 probably shoots the most comfortably. Did she try the 938 with the extended mag? I can fit all three fingers with the extension. My hands are medium-large.
    gatorbait51, Ianthin and lchamp like this.

Well she doesn't like the way my G19 feels so I didn't even mention the G26.

I know it is a tall order to fill, but people seem very pleased with the Shield at least. I've never shot a single stack 9 larger than my CM9. I chose it based on its size mostly.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Of the ones mentioned, the 938 probably shoots the most comfortably. Did she try the 938 with the extended mag? I can fit all three fingers with the extension. My hands are medium-large.
    No. They guy said he didn't have one to try. I thought that was odd.

That might be perfect though. She loved the grip width, safety, trigger, and weight but she didn't like having her pinky hang off.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array VodoundaVinci's Avatar
    My only suggestion would be to try a Beretta Px4 SC...I'd think lighter and "more hand filling" might be mutually exclusive. It's the need for a safety and the fact that a Px4 SC is my main CC pistol that I recommend it - it can be (it *is*...) a chunky pistol but recoil is soft comparatively and capacity ends up being 13+1 and you can get the Snap Grip extensions for the mags which I highly recommend. Gives the advantage of a shorter grip with a snap down/on demand pinky extension.

VooDoo

Edit: Sorry! Missed the single stack requirement...I'd go with the Shield!
    Last edited by VodoundaVinci; May 4th, 2015 at 05:20 PM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

mkh
    Of the ones you listed I would go with the 938. But I have been very happy with my XDs.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Bersa BPCC9, a lot like the shield but a better stock trigger. The shield is great if you are allowed to upgrade the trigger and use it to carry. Some jurisdictions don't allow trigger mods.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I would say go with a Shield. I love mine. But if she thought the XDs was too heavy, she might not notice much of difference with the Shield because it's only a couple of ounces lighter. The only thing lighter that would fit her criteria is the LC9s.

Screenshot from Hickok45's Glock 43 video.

comparison.jpg
    gatorbait51 likes this.

My wife has a HK P30SKS V3 (vary similar to P2000SK) on order, has everything she wants it's a DA/SA with decocker & safety, but is weighs about the same as her XDS....my wife loves my P30S V3 & especially likes the custom grip configurations HK offers.

My wife found out that small & light is great for concealing but necessarily for operating or shooting .....she is 5'2" & 125 ....she has more difficulty with operating the slide, the safety, recoil, and accuracy on her pocket pistols than her compacts & shoots with great precision & accuracy with my old heavy S&W 645.

Take her to a range that rents & have her test drive before she buys.....
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    This guy walks up to me and says "In this town you better shoot first and ask questions later" ...I wanting to ask him why but I had to shoot him first.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links