New G19

New G19

This is a discussion on New G19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I am new to the forum. I just bought be a new g19 gen 4 last week. The first three of the serial is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: New G19

New G19

Hello, I am new to the forum. I just bought be a new g19 gen 4 last week. The first three of the serial is YUM and it was test fired on 03/13/15 which was friday the 13th. I also have a gen 4 g30 I bought to carry to after trying out a 19 I had to get one. I am new to the firearms scene myself so if I sound like a newbie thats because I am. I was wondering what kind of ammo is best for self defence and if some of you all could recommend 9mm loads to me. i currently have federal hst 124g loaded.

That's a fine bullet. I use hornady custom myself. In my 9 and .380. Glocks eat just about anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear a lot of praise for Speer gold dot. I can rarely find it in my area. But I hear good things about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WannabeaCPA likes this.

Welcome, and congrats! Very good guns there, you're starting off right.

I currently have 124gr HST loaded as well, so I guess I can't make a better recommendation.
    "...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."

Captain Bellamy

Welcome, glocks have that, just gotta have it thing going on.
    Best of luck and be safe.......
    "It's almost like a right, except without the pesky Liberty"
    Author unknown.....

Thanks for the welcome. I have a friend that uses speer gold dot 165g for his g23 rtf2, and at my lgs they run 34.00 after tax for 50. I wish I could find more hst here but everyone is out. Nice n82 pro you have there, that is the same holster I have, its very comfy and is my first holster.
    nlyric likes this.

test out a few and see how they shoot.

I'm carrying Golden Sabers in my 19(124+P) and 30sf(230gr) because my thats what my LGS carries on their shelves.

HSTs should be as good as any premium SD round, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

9mm defense ammo
    WHATS YOUR FAVORITE 9MM PERSONAL DEFENSE AMMO - frangible? JHP? +P , +P+

edit: anything but R.I.P. ammo

I have read good reviews on the hst and got ahold of a single box of 20, and until I can get more to test fire with I may try the gold dot.

these guys have 50rd boxes of HST and GD http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/9MM-A...ulk-s/1817.htm

I've used the Gold Dots and the Golden Sabers, I'd have no issues at all using either. The HST's I like as well but can be a bit hard to come by locally here. I've had no trouble with Golden Sabers, matter of fact that's what my G17 has in it tonight.
    "There's no such thing as being too Southern." - Lewis Grizzard

Thanks for the link Glockstar. All I see is plus p hst I haven't shot plus p anything yet. Is there a difference in recoil since it is a higher pressure round? I am used to my 45 acp though so I believe I could get back on target just as quick.

Distinguished Member Array bigpapa's Avatar
    Congrats and welcome from WA, I use 124gr Federal and have some 147gr HST LE I also have some Gold Dot and some Underwood which is a powerhouse for SD.

Congrats and welcome! Hard to argue with a G19. The 19 and 30 are two excellent pistols from Glock. Both normally run very well and are accurate. As for ammo, I like Federal HST's, Winchester Ranger, Speer Gold Dots, and Remington Golden Sabers...in no particular order.
    5lima30ret likes this.

You chose a good one. I actually own three G19s I like them so much. I picked up my latest one last week as well, which has a serial number ending in "911", which I thought was interesting. Regarding defensive ammo, any quality round from a reputable manufacturer will suffice, as long as it functions in your gun, so be sure to test it adequately. My preference is Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P. I would stay away from the gimmicky ammunition out there (i.e. anything with the word "zombie," "RIP", etc.). Now go put 500-1000 rounds through your G19 and get back to us.
    5lima30ret likes this.

First welcome to the forum! The Federal 124gr HST you already have is fine! What you need now is to find a good deal on some bulk 9mm practice ammo and practice shooting that G-19! Fortunately your G-19 is a pleasure to shoot many practice rounds through, unlike some of the really light compacts that can be a pain! Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links