One week with my G23....the love is still there!

This is a discussion on One week with my G23....the love is still there! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have owned and been carrying my new Glock 23 for one full week now and I can say that my love for this gun ...

Thread: One week with my G23....the love is still there!

One week with my G23....the love is still there!

I have owned and been carrying my new Glock 23 for one full week now and I can say that my love for this gun is still growing. It is the perfect carry gun for me. Perfect size, easy to conceal and holds 13 +1 of .40 S&W. And, I will be soon buying the 15 round Glock 22 magazines to carry as spares.

The only gripe I have is that the trigger guard rubs my middle finger right there where it meets the grip. But, I am pretty sure that I can fix that myself with a fine file or a dremel tool. Or, I could just man up and live with it.

I bought two holsters for it, one was a Fobus OWB paddle, I know I know, cheap but it works very well. And it conceals the gun very well for an outside the waistband holster.
    The other was an Uncle Mikes Kydex. It is also an OWB paddle and it does not conceal as well but is very sturdy. It is adjustable as far as the angle that the gun can be carried at, it can even be set up to carry the gun cross draw though why you would want to to that with an OWB paddle holster is beyond me.
    The Uncle Mikes is different than the Fobus or other Paddle holsters I have bought and seen. The others have the hooks or whatever that are designed to hold the belt that are on the paddle and hold the belt from inside your pants. The Uncle Mikes had the paddle and then the hooks are on a separate piece that goes on the outside of the pants and the hooks face inward towards you to hold the pants from the outside.
    It REALLY holds the pants well. I mean really well, in fact, this paddle holster is harder to get off of my pants than any other that I have ever used. But it sure does stay stable on the belt and it holds the gun very well.
    It has an adjustable tension screw to adjust how well the gun is held in the holster.
    I like it.

The gun continues to be more accurate than I had hoped it would be. It carries easy and points naturally. I still love this gun and it makes me want one of its little brothers (G27) even more.

Maybe I should change my screen name again hhhmmmm...............Nah. Just kidding.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Mike-
    The drop-in 357 Sig barrel is fantastic in the 23 also, and I carry it frequently. Always an option that expands the gun you love into another gun(sorta) that you can love!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

kpw
    They are just about perfect carry guns. The 19/23 rubs most peoples fingers there but after a while, you just don't feel it anymore. I just put 200 rounds through my 19 this morning. Didn't notice it rubbing at all. I've got an UM paddle, works well for what it is.
    You'd like the 27. The dimensions aren't all that different but it feels smaller. Mine was more accurate than any other Glock I've owned. Congrats and enjoy, probably won't be your last Glock though.

The G23 is one of the best Glocks around (followed by the G19 and the G30 IMHO). The G23 was my first Glock (still have it) and is my trusted bedroom nightstand gun. I don't carry it as much as I used to, since I have the smaller G27.

The frame mold lines on Glock frames can wear into your fingers and feel uncomfortable while shooting sometimes. I take a small strip piece of fine 400 grit sandpaper and roll it up and lightly smooth out the mold lines (take the sharp edge off them) under the bottom of the trigger guard to where it meets the grip and also the inside surfaces of the trigger guard. I even lightly smooth the front surface of the trigger (where your shooting index finger touches), since the trigger surface can sometimes come with a somewhat sharp mold line. Its your gun, you should feel comfortable while shooting it (not coming home with sore fingers )

VIP Member
    The Glock 23 is the world's best carry gun in my opinion. I'm glad you've made the change to the dark side, we need all the converts we can get. It may not be pretty, it may not be loved by all of the Modern Technique teachers, but it is a reliable gun that will hit where you point it.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Congratulations. I wasn't sure when I got my 23 about 6 years ago, but it was simply love from the moment I fired it.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

hard to beat a glock, no matter the cal.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Grats Sig239. I also like the Fobus OWB paddle, it works great for when I take training classes. For daily carry I use a Fobus IWB for my G27, it works for me, and for $20 you cant complain. For those who say why, I work in a hi heat environment(bakery) all day, 6 days a/wk. I wanted a holster with positive retention and hard plastic around the trigger guard, just cant see subjecting a nice leather holster to that type of environment day in day out, so the Fobus is for me.

SY

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    The Glock 23 is the world's best carry gun in my opinion. I'm glad you've made the change to the dark side, we need all the converts we can get. It may not be pretty, it may not be loved by all of the Modern Technique teachers, but it is a reliable gun that will hit where you point it.
    I always thought the Glocks were ugly, with no real style but then I realized, there is a beauty all its own in being functional and completely reliable. So, to my way of thinking now, the Glock is a beautiful gun in its own way. And, I know it is going to work for a long time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

My 23 was stolen by a worker ex con that I hired. It is tied up in court till after the trail for him and the guy he sold it to.
    Both are going to do time for removing it from it's rightful owner, ME!!!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Glocks are a fine pistol. You will get many years of enjoyment from it.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Mike,
    Have you had a chance to check out the Bianchi Carry Loc holsters yet? I wish we were closer I would let you use mine for a couple days. I have carried the 23 for 11 years and this is the best rig I have found, at least for me.
    Also you can just get the +2 floorplates made by Glock for your 13 rounders, that is what I do and that gives 15 plus one in the tube, all with standard 23 mags.
    Glad you still like the pistol, but I new you would!!
    Take Care
    Kevin/NChornet
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I love my Glocks, G19, 23 & 27. My holsters were made for the G19/23, so the G27 fits in them as well.

Links