My Springfield Armory GI and its upgrades.

This is a discussion on My Springfield Armory GI and its upgrades. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ExSoldier762 Nope, I'd disagree. Your premise applies to open and overt infantry style combat. "WET, MUDDY & BLOODY" describes a battlefield, not ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Springfield Armory GI and its upgrades.

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Nope, I'd disagree. Your premise applies to open and overt infantry style combat. "WET, MUDDY & BLOODY" describes a battlefield, not a parking garage mugging. Or a terror attack inside the local mall. I think that for CCW peuposes, smooth grips are the way to go to keep your cover garment from snagging on the draw or grabbing during daily wear and causing a "print through" situation that will clearly reveal to even the most untrained observer that you are indeed armed.
    I think we might have to agree to disagree on this point ExSoldier. While you are correct in most of your post, I offer the following: When faced with a life or death decision will your hands start to sweat? Does it rain where you live? When walking through it do you get your hands wet? If you get knocked down before your decision to draw, will you get muddy?

If you are in a water fight will you get wet? If you are in a knife fight will you get cut? If you are in a gunfight will you get shot?

All of the above are possible and you should be prepared to cope with each condition as Mr. Murphy will surely show up during your fight for your life.
    I too am a former soldier and intimately understand the conditions of a battlefield. While we as CCW holders will not usually have to fight under these conditions, the possibility exists that you could be shot while defending your life and if you have been on a battlefield you know how slippery and slimy blood can get and how difficult it can be to hold on to something under these circumstances.

A light checkering of your grips will not make your gun print, provided that it isn't sharp checkering it won't grab your cover garment.

I have a set of grips on my Kimber CDP that are diagonally half checkered and half smooth, it's called a ranger style checker from Ultra Thin Grips, it provides the best of both worlds.

Just my humble opinion here and you may take it or leave it as you please.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

2. Remove Ads

Yup, I have to agree we're gonna have to disagree here. LOL I think that checkered grips are for aesthetics rather than practicality. On my 1911's and my Hi-Power I have soft Hogues. My Sig and Glocks have standard grips. I expect that I'll be able to hang onto my gun under every circumstance. Yes it rains here in Miami, Florida and so it did when I lived in Seattle, Washington. Still every time I have gotten a gun I have changed the grips to Hogue or Pachmyer as my first priority and then my sights to tritiums. My rubber grips are smooth and not "sticky" for exactly the same reason I stated, I have had problems with my cover garment being snagged in the past. I use what works for me. It is the same reason I won't own a S&W auto pistol, the ergonomics of the grips makes it just less stable in my grasp. It always seems as if it's about to squirt outta my hand! Now I can't speak for the new S&W 1911! But all the classic Smith semi autos are like this for me. Each to his own, right? LOL
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Speaking for myself I get much better grip on my 1911 from a checkered MSH and skateboard tape in the front; the grip panels really do nothing for my grip to begin with other than fill up space in my hand and make me comfortable when I shoot. For me, regardless of whether or not the grips are checkered, I will shoot the same. It is my preference that the wood grips should be smooth as they look a lot better to me.

None of my combat experience has required the need for a hard checkered grip either, whether Im shooting at Hadji with a M16, M249, or MK19; I never had a problem with a gun slipping away from me, but them again I always wore gloves too.
    Last edited by nf9648; February 27th, 2005 at 06:38 PM.

Smooth or checkered

I have smooth grips on my full sized 1911 because I like 'em like that. I have large hands and when I get a hold on my handgun it ain't going anywhere. I do have Pachmayrs on the Officer's Model because it came that way and I haven't changed it. The other .45's that I don't carry have factory checkered Colt grips on them, but I have three more sets of Pachmayrs if I decide to change. You can never have too much "stuff". (Guess that's why I don't have room to park my truck in the garage.)
    Last edited by Hotelcharlie; February 27th, 2005 at 10:52 PM. Reason: misspelled truck

The part # for the FP is 965-419-001

I prefer smooth grips becuase if grips have too much gripiness to them then your more likely to have a bad grip on the gun when you shoot it after quickly drawing from the holster. When you first draw a pistol from the holster you gernerally don't have a correct grip on the gun. Smooth grips allow you to slide your hands into the correct grip more easily. Just MHO

The grips are made of Walnut.
    Last edited by clipse; February 28th, 2005 at 01:14 PM.

Here are the grips finally completely completed. :D

And here is the pistol with the grips on it and everything. (I really like taking pictures. :D)

Clispe you shameless hussy peddling you pics over here too. Just kidding. You did a great job. Keep up the good posts.

Tminer

Really nice job.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Why thank you. :) I pedel my pics as much as I can. I like feedback. :D

clipse

Ok, this is the last time I update this thread untill I do something substantial. :) I put a couple coats of spray on laquer. I changed the personality quite a bit and I thought I would share.

Let me know what you guys think.

clipse

DC Founder
    Did it darken them quite a bit or was that just the picture? I like them darker like they are whatever the case.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Yeah, it darkened them up alot. I like them alot better now. Although I think I should have used polyurathane instead. The Laquer just isn't as hard and durable as the Polyurathane.

clipse

You guys are probably getting tired of seeing this pistol by now. I took this picture and it turned out better than I thought it would. Just thought I would share.

I really need to get a new gun so I can change things up a bit on my pictures. :)

clipse

Hey there's nothing wrong with seeing that again.

See there's not another one like that floating around. That's kewl.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by clipse
    You guys are probably getting tired of seeing this pistol by now. I took this picture and it turned out better than I thought it would. Just thought I would share.
    I never get tired of seeing pictures of 1911s
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links