My Springfield Armory GI and its upgrades.

This is a discussion on My Springfield Armory GI and its upgrades. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got around to taking pictures of the parts that I replaced and the parts that are stock. First off, if you haven't seen ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Springfield Armory GI and its upgrades.

I finally got around to taking pictures of the parts that I replaced and the parts that are stock. First off, if you haven't seen a picture, here it is.

It is a Springfield Armory GI 5" Parkerized. Model # PW9108L. I got it for $420 out the door at a gunshow.

The main thing I didn't like about this gun is the ILS safety in the Main Spring Housing. It has a little key that you use to turn a little nub in the MSH to lock the mainspring cap so the hammer won't cock.

I got out my Brownells cataloge and started writing down the number of the parts that need replace. (Main Spring Cap, Main Spring Retainer Pin, Main Spring, and Plunger) You can see the parts and the difference between the factory SA parts and the Colt parts.

The little 'L' shaped silver piece was another one of my worries. SA suggest that before you take out the MSH you need to cock the hammer and place the little 'L' shaped piece where the Retaining Pin would go. It will keep the Plunger from flying out.

It should like like this.

I would rather have the retaining pin, then I don't have to worry about loosing another tool or part.

My next concern was the Firing Pin. SA uses a Titanium Firing Pin and an extra powerfull spring. They do this as a drop safety. I don't really care for it. So I replaced them with a Wilson Bullet Proof Firing Pin and Colt factory Firing Pin Spring.

I did shoot it quite a bit with the stock FP and FPS and had no problems. It was just a personal preference.

Next I found out that the stock grip safety and the webbing of my hand were not going to work well together. So, I went back to the Brownells cat. and ordered a Kings Drop-in Grip Safety. I figured I would have to do some fitting but I installed it, did all the safety checks and badda bing badda boom I was in business. Here you can see the difference in the two.

Here is just another shot of the Grip Safety.

I also replace the recoil spring with a 16lbs one as Springfield Armory uses a 14lbs spring out of the factory.

Right now I am working on new grips. (making them myself). I finally got the correct bit and should have time to work on them today. If I am able to get around to actually working on them and get them done then I will post pictures of them as well. The grips are really bothering me now. I just can't get into the 'US' on them.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

clipse
    Last edited by clipse; February 26th, 2005 at 12:10 PM. Reason: adding a picture

Clipse this is a really great post, especially for someone like me who normally doesn't bother to change too much about their gun.

I've seen the Springfield GIs going around a lot, and although I liked the price, I was always thinking "Yeah it's cheaper that the MilSpec but I don't like it at all..."

Edit: oh and I kept thinking about how awful those grips were too! They make the gun look so cheap!

The more I played with the model the more I realized I didn't like it very much at all. I think what you've done here are some relatively simple changes that should make it a whole lot sweeter.

I was curious if you were going to do anything about the sights. I realize that is personal preference, but when I looked at the GI that was the first thing I noticed. I shriveled up at the sight of them (pun intended).

I don't own a 1911 and probably never will, but it's always interesting to me to see someone taking any gun that isn't quite everything it could be and making it work.

I like your configuration better. I think 1911's would appeal to me a lot more if the factory would do some of these common aftermarket improvements on all their models, straight out of the box. It doesn't cost the factory a red cent to use a better firing pin or safety. Contracting out certain components to other companies is the way I'd run a gun manufacturing plant.

I've often been tempted to write a letter to Ruger and tell them they should just let Mec Gar do their magazines and let Hogue do their factory grips for the same reason. They should probably also just quit doing their own barrels and use Colt's. A Ruger action with a Colt barrel seems to make an excellent revolver. I mean come on, Smith and Wesson and Walther Arms went together and made a good model. You'd think gun makers would learn.
    Last edited by Euclidean; February 26th, 2005 at 12:58 PM.

Lead Moderator
    Nice , imay pick up a mil. spec or GI , but just for plinking. Always liked the feel of the 1911.

I have thought about doing something to the sights. I was thinking about Tapan sights but hadn't decided for sure yet. I really like my GI. I like it even more now. I still have a few other plans for it as well, like a wide spur hammer, and sear and disconnect to match. What I was wanting was a no frills 1911 that was more than plesant to shoot and that looked fairly nice. I think I am really getting there with this. As soon as the grips go I will be 10 times happier.

clipse

Heres my Springfield GI, Santa Claus brought me this one and Ive been tinkering with it ever since. Its got a Cylinder & Slide hammer, sear, disconnector, leaf spring, MSH guts, ambi safety, videcki trigger, and misc pin set. MSH is a Smith & Alexander. Ive got King sights on the way, a S&A grip safety, and gunner grips to replace the GI grips that I chopped up while fitting the ambi safety.

Nice. That's one thing I cannot hold over 1911 aficionados: you can make your gun any way you want it. I can't exactly take the panel off the side of my S&W and redo the lock work...

Clipse was you firing pin a 9mm or a regular 45 ... i just wonder as i was looking at getting a spare to have and the manual says in my loaded and uncles trp they are 9mm pins

its a 9mm/38 super firing pin.

Here are the grips that I made for it today.

Can i bug ya for the part # of the wilson pin ... nice grips

Red face

Darn, Clipse....good post, great pics....how bout publishing a "How To" manual!

I agree, I like the looks of your grips, smooth grips are definitely the way to go if youre using wood. Why people cut into the grain and mess up the pattern is beyond me.

1952 - 2006
    The Reason is Grip you checker grips so that when your hands get wet, or God forbid bloody, you can hold on to your gun.

In the real world, in a gunfight, you get messy. wet, muddy, bloody and several other things that can cause you to lose the ability to hold on to your gun.

I like smooth wood as well, however, if you are going to carry for self-defense, I suggest checked grips.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DC Founder
    Nice pics, clipse, keep us updated on your progress with the SA GI.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Hey, those are very nice grips-what kind of wood did you use?
    "Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice; ammo is cheap, life is expensive."

Question Smooth or Checkered Grips?

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    The Reason is Grip you checker grips so that when your hands get wet, or God forbid bloody, you can hold on to your gun.

In the real world, in a gunfight, you get messy. wet, muddy, bloody and several other things that can cause you to lose the ability to hold on to your gun.

I like smooth wood as well, however, if you are going to carry for self-defense, I suggest checked grips.
    Nope, I'd disagree. Your premise applies to open and overt infantry style combat. "WET, MUDDY & BLOODY" describes a battlefield, not a parking garage mugging. Or a terror attack inside the local mall. I think that for CCW peuposes, smooth grips are the way to go to keep your cover garment from snagging on the draw or grabbing during daily wear and causing a "print through" situation that will clearly reveal to even the most untrained observer that you are indeed armed.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links