I finally got around to taking pictures of the parts that I replaced and the parts that are stock. First off, if you haven't seen a picture, here it is.
It is a Springfield Armory GI 5" Parkerized. Model # PW9108L. I got it for $420 out the door at a gunshow.
The main thing I didn't like about this gun is the ILS safety in the Main Spring Housing. It has a little key that you use to turn a little nub in the MSH to lock the mainspring cap so the hammer won't cock.
I got out my Brownells cataloge and started writing down the number of the parts that need replace. (Main Spring Cap, Main Spring Retainer Pin, Main Spring, and Plunger) You can see the parts and the difference between the factory SA parts and the Colt parts.
The little 'L' shaped silver piece was another one of my worries. SA suggest that before you take out the MSH you need to cock the hammer and place the little 'L' shaped piece where the Retaining Pin would go. It will keep the Plunger from flying out.
It should like like this.
I would rather have the retaining pin, then I don't have to worry about loosing another tool or part.
My next concern was the Firing Pin. SA uses a Titanium Firing Pin and an extra powerfull spring. They do this as a drop safety. I don't really care for it. So I replaced them with a Wilson Bullet Proof Firing Pin and Colt factory Firing Pin Spring.
I did shoot it quite a bit with the stock FP and FPS and had no problems. It was just a personal preference.
Next I found out that the stock grip safety and the webbing of my hand were not going to work well together. So, I went back to the Brownells cat. and ordered a Kings Drop-in Grip Safety. I figured I would have to do some fitting but I installed it, did all the safety checks and badda bing badda boom I was in business. Here you can see the difference in the two.
Here is just another shot of the Grip Safety.
I also replace the recoil spring with a 16lbs one as Springfield Armory uses a 14lbs spring out of the factory.
Right now I am working on new grips. (making them myself). I finally got the correct bit and should have time to work on them today. If I am able to get around to actually working on them and get them done then I will post pictures of them as well. The grips are really bothering me now. I just can't get into the 'US' on them.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.