Do Looks Matter to You in SD Guns?

This is a discussion on Do Looks Matter to You in SD Guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read threads about carry guns all the time and someone invariably will interject that they find this or that gun butt ugly and would ...

View Poll Results: How important is attractive in a carry gun?

Voters
283. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would not be caught dead with an ugly gun - I don't care how it shoots it's how it looks. I would reject a potent carry weapon if it was ugly.

20 7.07%
  • All things being equal, if it shoots well and fulfills the mission I'd like it if the gun is attractive but it's not a deal breaker.

149 52.65%
  • I don't care what it looks like - I shoot 'em and carry what performs best for me no matter what it looks like!

114 40.28%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree295Likes

Thread: Do Looks Matter to You in SD Guns?

Senior Member Array VodoundaVinci's Avatar

I read threads about carry guns all the time and someone invariably will interject that they find this or that gun butt ugly and would reject it on that characteristic...which always seems to shock me. Who would accept or reject a carry weapon based on "good looks" or a lack thereof? I voted for functionality in my hands - I don't care about color or bling or "lines". I want potent firepower and I could care less about "pretty".

So vote and explain yerself...and thanks in advance for your opinions and perspective!

Voodoo
    gatorbait51 and Recon1342 like this.

Colors, maybe.

I would not go out and spend my hard earned money on a pink gun, lady airweights, EAA Witness', the pink walther .22's.

BUT- if my wife had a pink gun (she does not), I would be more than happy to defend my own with it.

If I found a pink gun laying around "in extremis", I would also gladly pick it up and use it.

otherwise, no, looks has very little effect for me.
    "When I read about the evils of drinking.... I gave up reading."

"I am Wrath. I am Steel. I am the Mercy of Angels."

VIP Member
    I usually carry a Glock, so clearly not.

Not a whit
    gatorbait51 and glockcoma like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.

www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member

VIP Member
    Personally, I would never carry or refuse to carry a gun based on asthetics. Reliability, ergonomics, my ability to shoot it, capacity, caliber, etc. all come first.

However, if I view all other factors as equal aesthetics could play a role. I am not blind and I do find certain guns more aesthetically pleasing than others. It isn't a determining factor, but I will not lie and say I don't notice.
    Member Georgia Carry

Distinguished Member
    "Ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. And there are degrees of "ugly". I'm with DingBat - a pink gun is pretty darn close to a deal-breaker for me, while the ugliness of a regular Glock is not. I would use a pink gun if it were my only option, but I would not buy one ever. Luckily, we don't live in a world in which the stores are full of nothing but pink guns! On the other hand, if a Glock appealed to me in terms of my needs for a firearm, its ugliness would not dissuade me from buying it. There's ugly, and there's intolerably ugly.

ETA: I voted for the second option. If, however, you substituted the word "pink" for "ugly" and left out the part about "caught dead" (because pink is better than dead), then I would have picked the first option.

I prefer good looking 1911s and revolvers especially when I open carry, but occasionally carry my Glock G20 SF or my FNH FNX-45 Tactical in the field or in the woods for their fifteen plus one capacity.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

The only look in a gun that I care about is the one I have when I am aiming it!!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

One aspect that initially drew me to the PX4 was that I thought it was good looking gun. Then I held it in my hand and knew that was the one for me!
    Last edited by darbo; May 18th, 2015 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo

Some people do. If I were given a hot purple gun studded with rhinestones, I would not carry it.

To tell time you can get away with a $20 Timex or Casio, yet people still buy fancy steel watches worth hundreds or thousands of dollars. I don't dive to 200 meters on a daily basis (or ever), but I still like watches that can withstand that kind of pressure.
    Ars longa vita brevis

Some would claim that Glocks are ugly but look at how many people carry those. Reliability comes first for me. I consider looks but it's not a top tier requirement. With that said, Hi Points are the ugliest guns I've ever seen, but that's so many other reasons not to buy one. But I will say that as a woman, I will not carry a pink or purple gun. It would just feel more like a novelty than something to be trusted with my life. No disrespect at all to anyone who does like those type of firearms.
    "It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure" -Psalm 18:32

Senior Member Array VodoundaVinci's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    One aspect that initially drew me to the PX4 was that I thought it was good looking gun. Then I held it my hand knew that was the one for me!
    Well...I'll have to admit that I also find the Beretta PX4 SC to be attractive. But I own and carry one because of how it performs for me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

VooDoo

VIP Member
    Looks for me is a secondary consideration. I do have a couple of "pretty" guns that I carry. One daily (P938) and one just got moved to house duty (two-ton P226). The rest are all black, aside from the grey grips on my P229. I do OC a good bit, so a good looking gun isn't a bad thing to me. But looks don't determine what keeps me safe for the most part.

ETA: Since my initial post, I've been offered a CZ P07 on trade for my SP2022. I realized that no matter how reliable or awesome they are to shoot, they are just plain ugly. The controls are huge, as is the trigger guard. I'm sure they're great, but I just can't get over that.
    Last edited by Ianthin; May 18th, 2015 at 09:56 PM.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Distinguished Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    I guess I'm vain I carry a HK P30, and want a 1911
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you
    want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Distinguished Member Array michael t's Avatar
    To many fine looking and reliable pistols to be had. To be saddled with a ugly glock . Besides ugly they also feel terrible in my hand . I will keep my 1911's and S&W revolvers.
    Kutz, maxwell97, mkdb and 4 others like this.
    come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994, Colt Officer ACP 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Belleview Detonics

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links