my upcoming vacation will take us thru NYC and...

This is a discussion on my upcoming vacation will take us thru NYC and... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need advice on carry. I'm thinking shotgun since we are driving. What do I need to know? , carrying a pistol or shotgun.... don't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I need advice on carry. I'm thinking shotgun since we are driving.
    What do I need to know? , carrying a pistol or shotgun.... don't wanna be breaking the law you know !
    If I wasn't going through NYC, it would be the Para LDA....no question. But....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Assistant Administrator
    Holy moly Art - I can't see you being able to have anything on board thru NYC!!

Maybe locked case etc etc .... but others will have to answer this one better than I.

Pity you have to stray out of America!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Pity you have to stray out of America!
    i know...i know. Its my other half...all her idea. We have a
    tourguide (our neighbor who used to live there). Statue of Liberty, etc.
    If I had my way...we would drive around the whole place

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

the only thing i can tell you is (as a former resident of the bronx):

don't...get...caught.

Member Array Optimistic Paranoid's Avatar
    Don't take a pistol to NYC. There are no provisions for recognizing anyone elses permit, nor do they issue non-resident permits. Hell, they don't even recognize permits from upstate counties. As far as the Federal statute, NY interprets that as only applying if you are driving straight through, no overnight stopping within the state.

I had to dig out my copy of "Gun Control in New York: NEW YORK'S FIREARMS AND WEAPONS LAWS" and check the chapter relating to NYC's Administrative Code.

QUOTE:

"10-131 h. Rifles and shotguns, carrying or possessing.

1. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or possess a loaded rifle or shotgun in public within the city limits. Any person who shall violate this paragraph shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000.), or imprisonment not exceeding one (1) year, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

2. It shall be unlawful for any person to cary or posses an unloaded rifle or shotgun in public within the city limits unless such rifle is completely enclosed, or contained, in a non-transparent carrying case. Any person who shall violate this paragraph shall be guilty of an offense punishable by a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50.), or by inprisonment not exceeding thirty days, or by both such fine and imprisonment."

Hope that helps.
    Regards
    John

Life Member - American Society of Armed Political Malcontents

Question Authority. Hang As Necessary!

In God I Trust. Everybody Else Keep Your Hands Where I Can See Them!

I kinda thought it would be the shottie, unloaded and in a locked case... so it shall be !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

taking a big chance with any type of weapon, going thru NYC..
    I'd say, travel locked in the deepest darkest area of your vehicle, with the ammo stored in a locked suitcase. Too badd you couldn't get a Hunting License in one of the States you're traveling to, that would make things more presentable, should you get stopped and searched.. Just my .02 worth
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    My wife and I drove thru Jersey and New York last Fall, kept the guns in a locked box, ammo seperate in my spare tire well with enough junk on top of it to discourage anyone wanting to tear thru it. Bottom line is be careful but not careful enough to draw attention to yourself and remember federal law is on your side.

Good luck!! It is the most anti gun city in the US. Steve48

Good luck, and tell us how it went.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

this topic beat to death in the poli sci section above

Read about the boy in school traveling thru N.Y. speeding and lost his weapon. Hey if your a white male and middle aged drive within the speed limit and have a newer car then you dont fit the profile of a crimminal wanted at that time you may pass with out being bothered.to quote the nice man that sells guns in my local gun range."you are a white male middle aged, when was the last time you were stopped and serched?" I had to answer "never in my life" he said "dont worry about a permit to carry" wow that is what they are telling certain people in this gun shop .Phew! the advice you get out there is scary.Be careful, be safe,obey,obey ,obey.

Change your vacation plans and travel to some Gun firendly places.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Be Sure To Tell Us...

What the food is like in 'prison' there...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Member Array Optimistic Paranoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    Good luck!! It is the most anti gun city in the US. Steve48
    Technically, I don't believe that's true. DC is much worse. New Yawkers have no problem buying "politically semi-correct" hunting rifles and shotguns. I don't believe that DC'ers are even allowed THOSE.

Moreover, the last figures available - Dec 31st, 2005 - show 38,702 Pistol Licenses on file for NYC. On a per capita basis, I wonder how that compares to, say Boston or Chicago or San Francisco?

As we New Yawkers like to say: "Things could be worse. We could be in Jersey!"
    Regards
    John

Life Member - American Society of Armed Political Malcontents

Question Authority. Hang As Necessary!

In God I Trust. Everybody Else Keep Your Hands Where I Can See Them!

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I don't know what your full travel plans are, but I would say you need to consider this.

1. If the SHTF and your weapon is locked in the trunk with your ammunition locked in a separate box, what makes you think that you are actually going to have the opertunity to get to your weapon, load it, and be able to engage the enemy?

2. If the SHTF, and you are able to make it to your vehicle with your family, then what is preventing you from just leaving the area and moving to a more safe location? Are you planning on retreiving your weapon and then return back to the scene of danger?

3. If the SHTF, and emminent danger is still present when you make it to your vehicle, and your weapon is locked up as indicated in point 1, are you going to attempt to retrieve that weapon in the face of emminent life ending danger? or are you going to continue to push you and your family out of the danger zone utilizing whatever quicker means are available, which may include running?

4. Do you believe that your only option for your own safety resides in a weapon that is locked up separately from locked up ammunition, inside your vehicle that maybe a long distance from you at the time you may need it?

5. Are you sure that in the event that you were to become endangered, that the steps of going to your vehicle, retrieving your weapon from a locked case, retrieving your ammunition from a locked case, loading your weapon, and returning to the supposed danger would constitute justified self-defense with lethal force and not premeditated murder?

6. Are you prepared, in the event that your vehicle is broken into or stolen, to report your weapon missing/stolen to the local police even though this may result you being charged with illegal possession of a weapon? Are you prepared, in the event that you did not report this, to possibly be implicated in a crime with which that weapon was used? Are you prepared to pay potential damages in the event that your stolen weapon is used in a crime? Are you prepared to pay potential damages in the event that you have to use your weapon in self-defense? Are you prepared to serve jail time, lose your gun rights, and have a permanent criminal recored in the event that you used your weapon in self-defense or if you just simply were caught in possession of your weapon?

7. Are you prepared to have your wife charged with accessory or possession because of your insecurity in your ability to defend yourself or her with nothing less than a firearm?

I don't want to sound like a jerk. I just really think you need to weigh out the benefits with the real potential consequences for what you are about to do. Especially, since it sounds like that you will be staying inside the state and city for several days to take in all of the sights.

Perhaps it would be wiser to look at legal self-defense alternatives such as pepperspray, a knife, etc. that you could legally carry on you rather than having it locked far away in a car. I don't know how old you are or in what kind of shape you are in, but even a cane/walking stick can be utilized as an effective weapon and is perfectly legal to carry anywhere.

Just some food for thought.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links