Sig 1911 - Anybody have one?

This is a discussion on Sig 1911 - Anybody have one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any experience with any of Sig's 1911's? I am really considering the one listed below: http://sigarms.com/images/catalog/pr...RCS_Blk_rt.jpg Any information or advice would be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 1911 - Anybody have one?

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar

Does anyone have any experience with any of Sig's 1911's? I am really considering the one listed below:

http://sigarms.com/images/catalog/pr...RCS_Blk_rt.jpg

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thx
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    No experience with one other than to handle it at the local gun shop. Same price as an SA 9mm EMP. I loved it but noticed the slide is thicker (by very little) than a typical 1911 and the grip was very thick due to the beefy grips. They are beautiful grips but I found the trigger reach uncomfortable for me with them. The one I looked at was a compact. Nice gun but I'd hate to have to get rid of those nice grips.

Gideon

I would pass

Go to one of the 1911 forums and read all about the problems

They also wont fit a normal leather 1911 holster

Thanks Bud....I have the itch to buy another pistol and would really like to get a very nice 1911. I am thinking maybe one of the custom makers. Maybe an Ed Brown or a Les Baer. I am open to options...the Sig just looked really nice.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Had one of the early ones. Had several problems with it, not the least of which was finding a holster to fit it correctly. Initially it looks like it would fit a standard 1911 holster, but the geometry has been so "SIGified" that it doesn't.

That said, I hear that they have made SIGnificant (pun intended) improvements on the latest versions, but you still have to buy a holster made for it.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Had one but got rid of it to many problems no holsters. not really a true 1911 at all, as for the custom root, look at the STI's or the Les Baers.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    I would pass

Go to one of the 1911 forums and read all about the problems

They also wont fit a normal leather 1911 holster
    Bud, I have one. It is the stainless model. I have not had any problems at all with the gun, several thousand rounds. They worked out the bugs earlier, so people still complaining have older guns or never sent theirs back to SIG.

It fits the standard 1911 holsters I have and they are the same as fit the Colt, so I don't know which holsters they don't fit. I have a gov't issue holster and a Bianchi. Both hold it with no problems.

It also uses standard mags with no problems. I swap mags with my buddy who uses a Para and have not had any problems.

I have that exact model.

Zero problems and I got one of the first non-raileds off the line. It fits the same exact holsters as my Springfield GI.

Our customers at the shop have been extremely happy with them as well.

Personally I suspect the 1911forum would have a problem with a gun touched by John Moses Browning himself sometimes - nothing seems to work there.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I've had a GSR XO for a month or so now. It's tight and super accurate. The only time I've had a problem was directly attributable to weak slingshotting. It's sprung heavy, so you have to operate accordingly.

It is by far the finest firearm I've ever owned. The fit and finish are much more in a class with higher priced customs than any production firearm I've ever seen.

Apparently they had some teething problems early on, but from my direct experience all the guns shipping now are cherries.

Holster wise, if you've got a fairly generic holster it may fit. It even fit in a Fobus C21. Most makers should have a block for it though. I know UBG and RafterS do! Also Don Hume, as I'm using one of theirs while I wait on the previous two.

The buzz right now is all about Rock Islands and Taurus' (Tauri?) being incredible values in 1911s, and they are. Honestly though, I think the GSR is an equal value in terms of bang-for-the-buck.

Joe

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Misfit View Post
    Bud, I have one. It is the stainless model. I have not had any problems at all with the gun, several thousand rounds. They worked out the bugs earlier, so people still complaining have older guns or never sent theirs back to SIG.

It fits the standard 1911 holsters I have and they are the same as fit the Colt, so I don't know which holsters they don't fit. I have a gov't issue holster and a Bianchi. Both hold it with no problems.

It also uses standard mags with no problems. I swap mags with my buddy who uses a Para and have not had any problems.
    Is yours one of the original ones or a newer model? If they have improved the geometry enough, I might consider a new one.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I have an original GSR (pre-Revolution) and it's a ridiculousy accurate pistol, I use it for Bullseye as is stock.
    It is a true 1911 the only difference about it being one of the then first to have a rail on it's dustshield and the upper crown of the slide is shaped differently than that of a traditional 1911. Thats all. The gun is full on 1911 and it's parts including the frame, barrel, and slide are completely interchangeable with any other 1911.
    The grips are the same size & dimension as any other 1911 although I swpped mine out for a pair of black micarta only because I think black looks better on stainless than rosewood. Purely aesthetics.

Folks who had problems with the early shipments were vocal but not in the majority. Many were nit picking about minor issues in regard to finish. Some had function problems largely that being of the plunger cap toward the integral firing pin safety would drop out upn several hundred rounds because the builders would forget to Loctite it closed. My own GSR suffered this issue and was sent back for repair. Upon fixing that item it's been completely and 100% reliable, and again it shoots stupid accurate. Not just in my hand but every persons hand I've ever offered it to. It makes you look like your a sharpshooter.

It does weigh more than pretty much any other 1911 out there because of the extra material at it's frame for the rail and the additional material at the slide. Being full steel and five inches it's a heavy and large gun. It will not fit standard 1911 holsters because of both the rail unless your holster is leather and designed for like a Springer TRP or some other railed 1911. As well due to the exra material and differint contour of the slide it will not easily fit most standard 1911 holsters unless it's nylon or leather having a little give. All of my holsters are Kydex, I own nothing but 1911s, and it will fit none of them but the custom BladeTech I'd ordered for it when I first bought the GSR.

The new GSR 'Revolution' models are a whole family extension from the old/original GSR in various frame and slide lengths as well as with or without the rail. I understand from the actual owners at SigForum where I hang that they are just as reliable and accurate as the original GSR that had no problem and _were sent back in for repair if need be_. A small number of GSR were claimed by owners to be supposedly unfixable. Thats how I came across mine. I bought it new in box with less than 100 rds. on it from a SigForum person. He had said it was tough for him to get it to cycle consistently. I bought it anyway and shot it havign zero problems before the retaining cap raised it head. I sent it back to Sig and had them replace the slide and loctite the new one (it's all on record in posts toward as much at SigForum from that time) and the rest has been zero problems over many thousands of rounds and years.
    The orginal GSR was a completely hand built gun with parts picked to spec. A custom. They being built to extremely close tolerances including a hand lapped frame to slide match require lube otherwise the slide will cycle slowly and you'll get stovepipes. Thats expected with as much, so you do your maintenance and have no problems. My other 1911s are more duty/combat with looser tolerances will fire even dry all day long. My GSR will not tolerate that well, I've tried and that was the problem the prior owner was having...too little slide to frame lube.

The new GSR 'Revolution' have an in house manufactured frame now and are manufactured with a tad more tolerance. They are reported to be just as accurate as the old and even more reliable because they are less sensitive to lack of lube being as they are no longer hand lapped but machine built like any other Sig.

I would buy another GSR in a heartbeat, a Revolution C3 or Revolution RCS, if only I had a need for yet another 1911.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Thanks guys - I knew I could be some unbiased information from the group.

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Is yours one of the original ones or a newer model? If they have improved the geometry enough, I might consider a new one.
    Mine is one of the newer ones.

The only thing I could think of that would make it better is to have a full guide on it. Other than that, I think its great!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have one of the newer ones (marked "Revolution") but still old enough to have the "manhole cover" on the slide (covers the firing pin block parts in the slide). It is boringly reliable (my BHP has had more feed problems with FMJ) and as accurate as the much more expensive guns my friends shoot (I know this because we have shot each others' guns).

If you like it, get it, and don't worry about the horror stories.

Well I did it today. I made the mistake of going to the gun store and "browsing" at what they had. Well, 30 minutes later I walked out with my new Sig. A Sig Revolution STX....oh man is it nice. I had about an hour before I had to pick up my daughter at school, so I made a quick stop at the indoor range that I normally use. Shot two boxes and I am impressed. What a great shooter this pistol is. 100 rounds and not a single problem..as I would expect with a Sig. Can't wait 'til I can give it a proper run through. But from what I saw today, I am really going to enjoy this pistol.

Now I just need to figure out how to post pics. I'll post some as soon as I figure out how.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links