S&w 4040 Pd

This is a discussion on S&w 4040 Pd within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got the itch for one of these. Anyone have one? What's the good and bad on it? I've heard of some failures to lock ...

Thread: S&w 4040 Pd

S&w 4040 Pd

I've got the itch for one of these. Anyone have one? What's the good and bad on it? I've heard of some failures to lock the slide back on the last round, any truth to it? Anyone aware of one for sale in their area for cheap? Regards 18DAI.

2. Remove Ads

Interesting gun

I was also intrigued by this gun at one time, as it is a .40 caliber version of the very popular 9mm S&W model 3913, using the scandium/aluminum alloy frame for strength and light weight. It seems to be a perfect size (25 ounces and quite thin) for a .40 caliber CCW gun. The gun holds 7 rounds in a single stack magazine.

But S&W never made very many of these, and they are now out of production and not shown on the S&W website. So I was never able to get my hands on one to examine or test fire. The 4040PD seems to be very similar in concept to the Sig P239 in .40 caliber, which is also a thin, single stack aluminum frame gun, but without a thumb safety.

I think if you want one, your best bet is to look for a lightly used version on Gunbroker or Auction Arms. It will probably cost between $500 and $600.

The store has one used, like new for 450.00...........They also made a 4013 single stack gun as well......alloy and stainless.....8 rnd mags.....we also have 2 of those 425.00 each..
    Failures to lock the slide back are true.........i think it's the follower though and nothing more.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I never owned one myself, but I do know S&W discontinued them, so if you want one get it before the prices go to high. I personally want a pre tactical (no rail) 4013. The only reason I never got the 4040pd is the color. I like silver guns not black. I know I am weird

VIP Member
    Not the light weight version, but a .40 Smith for a great value.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1560709.html
    Last edited by Echo_Four; March 5th, 2007 at 07:57 PM.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Thanks Echo Four. I have the stainless version of the 4014, the 4013 single stack. It's the same size as my 4516, shares leather in fact. Nice pistol, but a little bigger and heavier than the 4040PD. Regards 18DAI.

VIP Member
    Yeah, it is a little bigger, and much heavier. I was just thinking a somewhat compact Smith .40. I've heard nothing but good things about the 4040PD, I just have never seen one for sale.

Best of luck to you.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Links