SHTF Kit lineup?

This is a discussion on SHTF Kit lineup? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now we all have various firearms for various reasons, but what do you have in your SHTF kit?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHTF Kit lineup?

SHTF Kit lineup?

Now we all have various firearms for various reasons, but what do you have in your SHTF kit?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    My kit is in a constant state of evolution! Not really complete.

I am awaiting a new first aid kit tho because I realized we had nothing really ideal to cover that - and this will have a few extras added too. I feel the ability to make repairs from injury an essential aspect.

Not sure what best as a search criteria but - there have been some excellent threads on bugout kits and such - try some searches and hopefully you'll pull up some good material.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    A sack full of doorknobs that i can throw at folks LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    There is a lot of threads on this topic, some of them are pretty good, and some of them got goofy. I think a lot depends on your geographic location, urban or country settings, if you plan on digging in or bugging out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That's a good question. I remember when I was a kid, we all watched Red Dawn and made these elaborate plans of how to beat the Russians. In my adult life I haven't given it thought.

Sixto- I did a search and didn't come up with a list of threads.

You never know whats going to happen, How many people on the gulf coast were ready for Katrina and the chaos that followed? Not many. I'd like to give this topic some thought.

One thing im glad I have is a non electric water purifier.

In my condo, cooking gas is included in fees no matter how much I use. So I got a handy little water distiller that makes 3 liters of pure water in 80 minutes.

It will turn any liquid into pure water. Removes radiation, bacteria, viriuses, chemicals, everything. And it can be run over a campfire.

In the back of my mind Ive always known it would be something Id be glad to have if the SHF some day.

I suggest you search the terms " bugout bug out bugin and bug in " with variants for title line , as well as bag . It has been kicked around here and on every other forum a lot . Imho it is to specific to YOUR needs to offer advise on . Where i live , and where i can go to if evacuated for any reason is entirely different than you . This is something to think about then set up according to risk of incident , and risks during an incident for where YOU live and work . 10 blocks or 3rd vs 1st floor apt. can make a vast differance in how you equip . Myself bugout is less than 30 miles and i have operational houses in two directions for that , so for me its a tank of gas and jerrycans for the generators if needed . I wont have to walk out of a city .
    Long post but the point is there is no generic shtf preps , other than homeland securitys suggestions , and they totaly omit self defense by firearm or any other means .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Assistant Administrator
    So I got a handy little water distiller that makes 3 liters of pure water in 80 minutes.
    Any further details Mike? Make? Cost? Source etc?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    In all honesty, most of the time you can only be as prepared as you can be, it isn't until something happens to you and you don't have what you need or what you want that you go, "Man, I have to remember to add that to my 'kit'." Only to realize on your death bed that that was a once in a lifetime situation that you handled the best you could with what you had.

If you were paranoid and determined to carry everything you may ever possibly, in any situation, need; you might as well hire your own personal ambulance and security team to follow you around everywhere you go, and throw in a small supermarket to go with just in case you run out of food for you and your crew.

Now, that doesn't mean you need to be a fatalist and say, "Well, shucks, I'll never know when I'm going to need this stuff for so forget it, what will be will be."

There are some things that are just plain prudent to keep, at least in your vehicle.

A blanket (for any climate, you never do know).
    A basic first-aide kit.
    Jumper cables.
    A good map.
    Flairs.
    Basic tool box.
    Cell phone.
    MRE's are a good idea if you are going somewhere out of the way that might get you stuck.
    Flashlight.

Now, the home is a different situation all together. If you are stranded in your vehicle chances are getting away from your current location will get you to safety. Your situation is isolated just to you. Stranded in your home means that you are locked down and other people are probably in the same boat as you are. Getting away means going out into the danger. I'll have to get my husband to answer for the home SHTF kit. He's got it planned all the way form hurricanes to zombie attacks (too much Night of the Living Dead).

Now we all have various firearms for various reasons, but what do you have in your SHTF kit?
    (1) SW40VE and (1) AR15. Haven't decided yet on the quantity of ammo I should have in there.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Any further details Mike? Make? Cost? Source etc?
    Sorry I had to look it up. I got mine from a wholesaler for about $250 but it has a lifetime warranty and is well built in stainless--its from Waterwise

http://www.waterwise.com/productcart...3&idproduct=28

Everyone should have the equipment to make pure water!

Just to bring things back on topic , for SHTF which is likely to be weather here . My kit includes snacks such as chips , crackers , ect.. that is more carbo than anything else. candles in the vehicles but not blankets since coveralls normaly go with us during the winter . Water abd lots of it lol 2 6 packs in each car trunk ( the commercial bottles will freeze solid fine without splitting ) along with flavor agents such as instant tea and the " power drink fruty stuff " , a portable welder ( includes a 110 volt power supply ) at each place , air compressor that will run on the output of the welders ( cleaning dust , fixing flat tires , ect... ) The work trucks all run on propaine which with the addition of an 02 bottle gives me cutting and welding ability there ( we keep about 4 to 10 depending on delevery bottles around ) . i could go on , but as i said my needs and yours are different , shtf for me is much less about " repell boarders " than it is about get the cattle fed , ect untill things come back to normal . I know that is not common but it does point out the general threads dont work , what i have has no bearing on what you need or should have.

zombie attacks....

keep it simple, is my philosophy here.

keep essentials aforementioned in the car, and a backpack in the house, lightly packed to allow for carrying situation specific items.

water purification usedta be a huge deal, but with so much bottled water available, and a camp stove being available, i dunno if i'd invest alot into some kinda kit. i'd be curious what mike has, if it'd fit into my equation.

i could fill a small u-haul up with "things i MIGHT need...", but it would make "buggingout" alot harder.

i use an old frame backpack with alot of tie on's.

batteries, mag's, more than one light source, solar blanket (great for water collection via condensate and signalling), regular blanket (used to elevate injuries, pillow, bandage, tie off, etc as well as warmth), sleeping bag , rope, waterproof lighter, butane (more than one use) camp cooker with extra propane bottle, FA kit, everclear in SS flask(again, more than one use... )duct tape, lemme check and see what i forgot....

compass, knife, sewing kit, wool socks, fishing line, hooks, lead, trench tool, and a few things i shouldnt have, but will make things real easy in a true end-of-the-world scenario.

the main thing is, theres still a TON of room, whole pockets empty, for clearing out the pantry and foraging on the way out.

I definitely understand your points on individual specifics like geographic location, etc. I guess I should have worded my intial post a little different...

We all have numerous guns, some for hunting/target, some for defense, what have you. Of your firearm collection, which are you most likely to take with you if you have to bug out/in?

As far as guns go I felt it important to have something BIG and something SMALL-- My 12ga and S&W model 60 snub revolver, respectively.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links