Glock 36 issues

This is a discussion on Glock 36 issues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a G36 that up till now has been a great carry gun, I have already put 1200+ rnds through it. This week I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 36 issues

Glock 36 issues

I have a G36 that up till now has been a great carry gun, I have already put 1200+ rnds through it. This week I went to the range with 100 rnds of american eagle 230gr ammo and had two failure to extract, I then tried some winchester just to see if it was ammo related and had another failure to extract. I really like the gun but now I have lost confidence in it. Could it possibly be as simple as a bad recoil spring, I did do a simply recoil spring test (point the unloaded gun straight up pull trigger with trigger to the rear pull slide back 1" gun should return to battery) and it passed. I looked at the extractor and it doesn't seem to be damaged in any way. Sorry to be long winded. Does anybody have any ideas?

2. Remove Ads

I would "mark" my magazines and see it it occurs with just one magazine.

I traded my G36 in as a partial trade-in on my 686 since I couldn't get it to be 100%. I loved the gun, but it wasn't reliable. I tried new magazines, magazine followers, extractor and recoil spring.

I have come to the conclusion that it it's not a "Double Stack" in a Glock I don't want it because their design is better suited to "wide butt" models. Now I have my eye on a 21SF.

Biker

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    No, but I'm interested in your problem. I have a 36 too, & had a problem when I first took it out.

Fortunately, it was ammo related. My dept. apparently was using some foreign brand of .45 to practice & qualify with. Went back the next week & ran the normal Winchester 230 gr. ball ammo that we normally use with no problems.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Hmmm... if I recall correctly sometime ago there were reports of design problems with .45 acp glocks and overall reports that .45 seemed to be the one caliber that gave glock grief. But my mind is fuzzy on that, maybe one of the other glock lovers here would know a little more specificly.

Otherwise, you might want to take this into consideration.
    1. When did you last thoroughly clean it? Even the allmight glock needs to be cleaned up once in a while.
    2. Are you over lubing it? All the lubrication a glock needs is 3 drops of oil total. Their are only 3 wear points you have to worry about. All too often I have seen people with similar malfunction problems with their glocks, and the problem was traced back to over oiling it which results in almost a gummy paste after 50 or so rounds fired.
    3. Last but most common, are you sure you are not limp wristing the gun? I don't want to insult your shooting skills, but limp wristing is one of the most common and easily overlooked.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Actually, it's not that surprising. Glocks have a higher incidence of FTEs due to limp wristing and usualy grip angle that takes some shooters getting used to and even getting re-used to after not shooting for a while. This isn't a knock on Glock as it is usually user related.

And among Glocks, the 36 is a recongnized leader in FTEs. So you have a couple things to overcome.

I can't remember why the 36 was more prone but I think you could search here and elsewhere for reasons.

In any case, shoot it a few more times and then take it to an armorer for inspection and repair. Could be as simple as a need to polish to feed ramp. Otherwise you could trade it in for a 30, which my father in law has. That hardly ever misfires...occassionally, yes, but not often.

(or you could get a Beretta...I have 10,000 rounds through three berettas without a FTF or FTE).
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    (or you could get a Beretta...I have 10,000 rounds through three berettas without a FTF or FTE).
    Is that all? My previous carry Glock, a G27 did nearly double that by itself..flawlessy for 10 years. Honestly though so has my bud's 92 he's been lugging around since '95.

RB
    Get the G30 and don't look back.
    The only gun other than a PT92 that I did not have to work on and was reliable out of the box.

G36=Problematic
    G30=Perfection

Quote Originally Posted by RB View Post
    Get the G30 and don't look back.
    The only gun other than a PT92 that I did not have to work on and was reliable out of the box.

G36=Problematic
    G30=Perfection
    +1! I have only one customer (that I'm aware of) who's 36 works. The rest of them (at least those whom I've discussed it with) have all sold their guns and bought something else. By contrast, the 30 is 100% for most everyone (myself included) that has tried one. They are ultra accurate and super reliable. It is one of my 3 favorite handguns of all time. In fact, I'd like to buy another one as a spare.

limp wristing the gun? all most all of glocks "fte" problems are limp wristing. you can make any glock do the "fte" thing by limp wristing it, no matter the cal. i have not had any problems with my g36 or any other glock that i own.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I had some ftf problems, and heard that glocks require higher quality ammo. I have been buying better quality and havent had a single problem since.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, I'm going to put it on consignment at my local gun shop. Besides it's not that much smaller than my G19 and holds fewer rounds. I was thinking about the G30 but it looks a little to thick to iwb. Does anyone know much about the taurus millennium pro PT745? I'm also looking at the Kahr p45.

*Daffy Duck voice* Your Glock is defective sir, and should be taken out of circulation. If you will send it to me, I will see to it that a proper disposal and destruction of that dastardly, defective, device is done and the devilish demon is decisively destroyed!

Yours too cockedlocked01...send 'em to me!

Administrator
    I have a 36 that has been flawless (to date) in function so Gary...you can add one more to your list.

Ditto: the above that the 36 requires a much firmer grip coupled with a locked wrist.
    It's important not to eat up your available slide energy with a limp wrist.
    That is because there is less slide mass in combination with the .45 acp being a larger format cartridge.

The failure to Extract would have nothing to do with the strength of the recoil spring.
    An overly weak recoil spring would cause failures to feed and go into battery.

You didn't state what ammo you were using before you switched to (I'm guessing) Winchester White Box? Which is not really great or consistent ammo either BTW.

The first thing I would do is clean all of your magazines internally and then probably replace the extractor spring provided that the extractor looks undamaged.

The 36 also functions best with a high quality slide rail lube rather than just gun oil. I would suggest that you try Jardines Extreme as it's an incredible lube.

Doing the above should solve your function related problems.

The Glock 36 is identical to every other Glock in design + it has a single stack magazine. There is nothing about the design of the 36 that is different from any other standard Glocker out there EXCEPT that it is chopped and therefore special consideration needs to be given to the fact that there is (of course) less available slide energy available for cycling the action ~ thus the need for an extremely firm locked grip.
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 1st, 2007 at 08:56 PM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Another G36 Owner Here...

No problems...ever!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Funny, Glock'em down. My problem was my Dept.'s cheap ammo that they used for a short period of time. Not a problem anymore. In fact, I shoot my 36 better than ANY other gun that I have or had...
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links