642, Original grip or Hogue grip ?

This is a discussion on 642, Original grip or Hogue grip ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering how many of you 642 owners keep the original grips on your gun. I got a Hogue grip (monogrip) which I love the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 642, Original grip or Hogue grip ?

VIP Member

Just wondering how many of you 642 owners keep the original grips on your gun. I got a Hogue grip (monogrip) which I love the feel of. Now I do fine with the original grip and can shoot well with it. But of course the Hogue absorbs more recoil and makes the gun easier to handle. I do like the feel better.
    I've swapped handles atleast 3-4 times over the past 6 months and keep going back to the original grip just because it is so much easier to conceal. I have a hard time concealing it with the Hogue grip on it, (especially if I have to use my Smartcarry). Even IWB with a t-shirt prints more with the Hogue..Anyone else tried a larger grip and gone back to the smaller one just to conceal easier?

i like the original on wheel guns and i put a hogue slip on on most of my autos
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    I think the original is much prettier. That's what mine wear in the safe or when they're just our to play a little at the range. But, if they're going to be doing any work, pachmayr or hougue grips get the call.

That said, if I were going to be carrying one on a regular basis, it would wear the fancy Crimson Trace grips.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Assistant Administrator
    Leaving aside aesthetics - my choice would be for Hogues, which is what I did with M85. The softer CT grips too would be fine. I prefer the look of wood otherwise.

I know some folks find that rubber grips can make cover gear hang up but I don't think that need be too much of an issue if aware of the potential. A very light dusting with talcum powder can prevent that too - without prejudicing the grip security.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I have pachmayr grips on my M65. Although I like the looks of the orginal wood, I like the grip and feel of the pachmayr better.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I use the Pachmayr Compac.Larger than the UM that came with the gun;smaller than the Hogue.I carry appendix,strong side,IWB.If you use a pancake,etc. OWB,the UM is best for concealment IMHO.

VIP Member
    On the 642, the difference in printing between the original grip and the Hogue is huge to me. I really prefer the feel of the Hogue but I hate struggling with trying to keep it concealed...

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

Wood grips on my 642

I added wood grips on my 642. I carry otb most of the time and I like how my shirt just slips on the grip. I don't have to worry about the rubber grabbing my shirt tail.
    Attached Images
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    I added wood grips on my 642. I carry otb most of the time and I like how my shirt just slips on the grip. I don't have to worry about the rubber grabbing my shirt tail.
    I like that. But it looks the same size as the Hogue grip. I know that prints worst than the original handle. You try that in a Smartcarry? I dont use a Smartcarry very often, but when I do , the Hogue prints bad. The looks or the material doesnt matter here, its the printing..

On a S&W 442, I tried the original boot grips, carved/wooden Spiegel grips, and Pachmayr Decelerator grips. In the end, best concealment resulted in my carrying with the original grips. Absolutely, the most ergonomic choice was: Pachmayr. But the simplicity and concealability of the originals was hard to beat. YMMV.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 2nd, 2007 at 07:12 AM. Reason: clarification edit
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I stuck with the originals

I also have a S&W 642 that came with the two finger "boot grips" in hard black rubber. I bought some fancy 3 finger Hogue rosewood grips and tried them, but they added length to the grip and made it hard to hide the gun in my pocket. So I went back to the original boot grips:

I have a 642 and purchased Houge Monogrips a few months ago. I will agree that the stock grips make concealment easier but the Hogues give much better feel while shooting. I'm sticking with the Hogues.

I like the wood grips instead of the rubber. The rubber grips stick to your clothes and I don't mind the recoil. Steve48

Guess I'm like everybody else. I can't recall if mine came with the boot grips or a slightly longer rubber grip that extended below the frame or if I just bought them at the same time. I took them off and switched to Hogue Bantams. Took them off, put on big Pachymars for something more shootable. Then went back to the Bantams for something more carry-able. I keep a couple of sets of Pachys on hand for fun shooting.
    Last edited by sheepdog; March 2nd, 2007 at 08:27 PM. Reason: correction
    What Would Gumby Do?

I really like the Hogue Bantams

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links