New S&W 642 home for CCW

This is a discussion on New S&W 642 home for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just purchased my new Smith & Wesson model 642 .38 special with Crimson Trace Laser Grips for concealed carry. Once I got it all cleaned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New S&W 642 home for CCW

New S&W 642 home for CCW

Just purchased my new Smith & Wesson model 642 .38 special with Crimson Trace Laser Grips for concealed carry.
    Once I got it all cleaned up and took it out back to my range, I began to practice with it for about 50 rounds. Once I got the feel for the sights, I turned on the laser and adjusted it for my 7 yard shots.
    This is one fine shooting revolver.
    About two weeks before picking up the 642, I got in touch with Don Hume Holsters and ordered a very nice H721 OT, open top holster.
    I am left handed and figured on waiting for about a few months, but was told by the lady that they had that model in stock and would ship it out right away. While I had her on the phone, I ordered an H715 IWB for the 642 as well. That one I will have to wait about 4 to 8 weeks. Also told her to send me a double thick belt in black to match the holster. I was very excited when the mailman came to the door last week. I had the holster and belt hanging on the hook waiting for the purchase of the 642. I finally got around to picking up the revolver and have to say it feels very comfortable on my side. I wore the holster and belt for a couple days empty before getting the revolver so I could get used to a new belt. I hate new belts. It's like getting a new pair of shoes for the fist few days. Once you wear it for a while, you don't want to take it off.
    The belt still feels a little stiff, but that is only because of it's thickness.
    I am sure it will break in fine.
    The holster is beginning to feel better and better as I draw and reholster (empty revolver of course). I will sit with the revolver unloaded, and slide it in and out of the holster while holding holster, but have found that there is a huge difference when wearing and not wearing while reholstering. So now, I make sure I am wearing the belt and holster while working the revolver in and out several times a day.
    I was attracted to the Ruger SP101 and the Smith 642 both. Handling both side by side made my decision quite easy. The weight of the Ruger is almost double of the Smith. I do care for both as I have been a big fan of both revolvers for some time. My choice of the Smith and Wesson was a good one for me now that I am wearing it on a daily basis. I do not even feel it on me except for the newness of the belt yet, and I am sure that will change as well. I even tried the holster on an older belt I have had for years for wearing my jeans and will tell you that the holster and revolver both just disappeared on my side. If I had tried the holster on my old belt before ordering the new belt, I would not have needed to order the new belt at all.
    I wore the holster on my side for the entire eveing and my wife never even knew I was wearing it. All I had on was a regular shirt that hung over the belt line. I was worried that I would need to buy new shirts to be able to carry outside the waistband, but this holster rides high and tight to my side.
    Anyone looking for a very lightweight rig for CC, look into this one and you will not be disappointed at all.
    The Crimson Trace Laser is the greatest too. I am now able to practice my point and shoot with more confidence knowing that the bullet is headed for the intended target.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats,

I'm sure it will make you a good carry gun.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

The 642 is my favorite carry gun also. Steve48

The 442, Brother to your 642, is my 24/7 EDC.

I carry an N-Frame and the J-Frame is always in my pocket or on my ankle. For the days when I MUST appear unarmed I back the 442 up with a Kahr PM9.

The 642 is a great little personal protection piece. Wear it well and stay safe.

Biker

Ron
    I, too, carry a 642 and love it. It also works very well in a pocket holster, which is how I carry it usually wearing cargo shorts or pants.

Ron

Ron,
    Who makes your pocket holster for the 642?

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I like my 642 too.

Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by elderberry99 View Post
    Ron,
    Who makes your pocket holster for the 642?
    Bob Mika, Mika's Pocket Holsters. They are inexpensive, but work extremley well. They stay in your pocket when you draw the revolver and the gun does not print. I carry my 642 all day in that holster in complete comfort. In fact, he is presently customizing one for my Walther P99c. Bob Mika is a LEO who knows what is required for a functional pocket holster. He is also a very nice guy. I suggest that you give him a call if you are interested.

Ron

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    congrats on your new wheelie
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Nice S&W, I cant seem to get them out of
    my blood.

I just handled one at the gun shop, may have to
    get one.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I'm thinking about an Ultra Lite 5 shot revolver for CCW but, I really like the SA/DA. Is the 637 really that much different than the 642?

Thanks Ron, I am in process of looking him up now. I hope I can find his web site if he has one.
    elder

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by elderberry99 View Post
    Thanks Ron, I am in process of looking him up now. I hope I can find his web site if he has one.
    elder
    He has one. Just go to Google and type in Mika Pocket Holsters.

Ron

Ron,
    Looking at it right now. I thought it would have been a form fitted holster like many others. I do not know what I was thinking!
    Does the gun fall out of the holster at all? Is it very loose?

Congrats...

on the new 'pistola'...

My wife has the 637 with CT laser...she likes it!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links