Shoot steel????

Shoot steel????

This is a discussion on Shoot steel???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my own private range. Me being a carpenter, I always have leftover plywood and lumber. So that's what I shoot. Lately I have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Shoot steel????

Shoot steel????

I have my own private range. Me being a carpenter, I always have leftover plywood and lumber. So that's what I shoot. Lately I have been thinking of buying some steel targets. Do any of y'all shoot steel? If so please enlighten me on the pros and cons.

Yes. Shooting steel is great. Make sure its the correct thickness and ar500 or better. 1/4 inch is for pistol only 3/8 can take up to 308 at distance and 1/2 will take whatever you throw at it except a few magnum rifle rounds. Just use a can of spray paint and you got yourself a frsh target. plus the plink of the steel is nice to hear.
    rocky, hdhnict, Smarshe and 1 others like this.
    "The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail ... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."-- Jeff Cooper
    "The Queen is not for sale." --Jeff Cooper THE ART OF THE RIFLE

A couple of things I have noticed re retail steel targets; They have a min distance from which to shoot them. Ie 25 yards. The ones I have bought, and seen in stores, are SMALL. Especially at 25 yards.

And, at 25 yards, your shooting guests are apt to miss more than they hit the targets, and quickly become disenchanted with them. Certainly with pistols.

That is, assuming that you have a group of regular Joe shooters, gathered just for some fun. Not expert crack shots.

I strongly suspect that many, if not most shooters ignore the min distance requirements. I have some steel targets, and always wondered why they just dont stamp the distance warning into the steel of the target, instead of just slapping a warning sticker (that immediately comes off), on them.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Just as a addition to what has been said...I angle my steel slightly; a few degrees make a world of difference.
    I dislike fragments coming back at me at close range practice.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Is it 25 yds? I thought it was 10. Or maybe that has something to do with the angle of the steel (angled so splatter goes down).

I've got three steel circles, the expensive AR 500 stuff. I'm in the process of turning them into a shooting tree. As a matter of fact, maybe that's what I'll do today.
    I especially like shooting steel in the winter. It's nice to not have to fuss with paper targets and only carry my gun, muffs, glasses and ammo out back. Or shoot off the magazine/cylinder of whatever I might be wearing that day. Steel. The target that keeps on giving.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Is it 25 yds? I thought it was 10. Or maybe that has something to do with the angle of the steel (angled so splatter goes down).

I've got three steel circles, the expensive AR 500 stuff. I'm in the process of turning them into a shooting tree. As a matter of fact, maybe that's what I'll do today.
    I especially like shooting steel in the winter. It's nice to not have to fuss with paper targets and only carry my gun, muffs, glasses and ammo out back. Or shoot off the magazine/cylinder of whatever I might be wearing that day. Steel. The target that keeps on giving.
    The ones I bought say 25 yds. Large bore pistol.

Cant swear what the ones for .22 LR said.

honestly, the steel targets have been a waste of money for me. 1. Due to the distance required, and 2. And this might seem funny to many here, but the soil here is so very rocky, you cant reasonably easily drive the stakes into the ground deep enough to keep them standing.
    PAcanis likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    25toHouse.jpg

I use AR500 3/8" steel. They are round targets that range from 3" to 12". These are photos made before I added targets at 50,75 and 100 yards. The ones you see are at 12 and 25 yards from the firing line. Viewed downrange to my house.

targframe2.jpg

4x4 frames with gongs hanging from hardened chain. There is an extra nut between the chain. The nut cause the bottom of the target to tilt away from the shooter.

Another view of target frame construction.
    targframe1.jpg

The targets are positioned front of the 4x4s. The 4x4s get fragged leading me to believe that shot splatter goes away from the shooter. So far, not dents or dings, even from .44 Mag loads.
    LeanHard, DingBat, ks kid and 3 others like this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

I had my steel targets hanging from a wood frame. The same one I stapled paper targets to.
    My beef was shooting the bolts that held either the chain or the mudflap onto the steel. I think this tree will work a lot better for me.

Lead Moderator
    I have 9 steel targets I use on my private range. These seem to be the worst for small jacket pieces deflecting. All targets are angled and shot at as close as about 15 yards. Eye pro is a must, get good quality glasses.
    While I have not been hit in the head , I do feel occasional stuff bounce back. Steel is lots of fun, just be careful.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array subhuman's Avatar
    I have been splattered inside of 15 yards a few times but I love shooting the plates, you get instant feed back on accuracy with the "Clang" and wiggle. I have 3 hanging plates and I'm about to put in some landscaping timber rails to set knock over plates on to shoot at while running between my firing stations... my wife thought my motorcycles was an expensive hobby
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia,Vis,Celeritas

Distinguished Member Array subhuman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I have 9 steel targets I use on my private range. These seem to be the worst for small jacket pieces deflecting. All targets are angled and shot at as close as about 15 yards. Eye pro is a must, get good quality glasses.
    While I have not been hit in the head , I do feel occasional stuff bounce back. Steel is lots of fun, just be careful.
    love those "Punisher" skulls Rocky
    rocky likes this.
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia,Vis,Celeritas

Lead Moderator
    It is ABSOLUTELY mandatory to wear safety glasses when shooting steel at any range.

Its not a matter of IF you get hit by fragments, its a matter of WHEN.

One of our highly esteemed members here still wears a witness mark from a fragment ripping a hole in his forearm that I was witness to.

Having had every part of me slapped at one time or another with fragments, I dont even attempt to shoot steel without safety glasses.
    I want to have a job where the is no accountability,a job where I can do as I dang well please and make my own laws and act like a KING. I want to be on the Supreme Court.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It is ABSOLUTELY mandatory to wear safety glasses when shooting steel at any range.

Its not a matter of IF you get hit by fragments, its a matter of WHEN.

One of our highly esteemed members here still wears a witness mark from a fragment ripping a hole in his forearm that I was witness to.

Having had every part of me slapped at one time or another with fragments, I dont even attempt to shoot steel without safety glasses.
    We shoot steel just about every class at TDI, at ranges as close as seven yards. Like you said, you will get hit. My last time there, the first round fired on the first day on lane ten sent spall into my chin on lane one. I have had a bunch of it stopped by my glasses over the years.
    "There's something in me I can't describe. It's as if I saw a strange darkness before me, into which I must go."
    Viktor Woellert

To those of you with private ranges.............you suck!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I stand at least 8 yards away.

Steel should be either deflected down, or free hanging. Never strap one to a post and shoot at it.

Shoot at steel is great for drills. I'm not going for accuracy like on paper as much as I am just trying to get shots on target.

I dont shoot ANY hollow points at steel, since you'll get more shrapnel flying.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links