Kel-Tec P3AT Trigger Q:

Kel-Tec P3AT Trigger Q:

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec P3AT Trigger Q: within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey there everybody. I have a question about the Kel-Tec trigger. I read that it is double-action-only, but when I went to a jewelery/pawn shop, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec P3AT Trigger Q:

Kel-Tec P3AT Trigger Q:

Hey there everybody. I have a question about the Kel-Tec trigger. I read that it is double-action-only, but when I went to a jewelery/pawn shop, they had three Kel-Tecs, one .32 and two .380's. When I dry-fired all of them (with permission of course) they all went through the cycle the same way.

The trigger is pulled, the hammers comes back, and then the hammer pops to hit the firing pin. But, the trigger doesn't reset. In other words, it won't do what a regular DOA trigger normally does. Its more of what a GLOCK/Springfield XD trigger will do, if it makes more sense at what I am trying to say.

Anyways, I have to pull back the slide to "reset" the trigger to do it again. Other than that, they look pretty stable and I went ahead and put one on layway with just $30.

So the official question is this: do ALL Kel-Tecs do that? BTW, all of the Kel-Tecs are brand new along with some other pistols, the only ones that were used was a SIG P228 and a SA XD-9.

I know the P3AT does, and I believe the P32 does, not sure on any other Kel Tecs. My P3AT works this way..
    Be safe.
    PS, for a holster check out the DeSantis Nemissis pocket holster, nice price and works very well.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I believe the Kel Tec's are striker fired & that's why they're similar to the Glocks & Springfield XD's.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

When the slide returns to battery after having been fired or when chambering a round, the hammer goes to a 1/2 cock-like position. The trigger can not reset if it the slide has not cycled.

There is no second strike capability - get a dud round and you must manually cycle to continue firing.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Do yourself a favor before carrying a Hell-Tec for self defense. Torture test it. My brand new out of the boc POS3AT broke immediately. I bought it, fired about a box through it, and then carried it for a while. The very next time I fired it, it had a complete and total failure. Something in the trigger mechanism broke and turned it into a lightweight concealed carry paperweight. And this is a fairly common problem. The Keltec is hit or miss. Some seem to work forever, and some seem to come from the factory pre-broken it seems. If yours works, that's cool. But be 100% sure you don't have one of their many problemed chidren before you trust it with your life. KT customer service is far from good. I got the ole one finger salute and was told I had to pay to ship it back at my cost. And if they decided that their brand new gun broke because of a manufacturing flaw and not user error, they would fix it, but not reimburse me for shipping.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Failure rate of the current 2nd generation P3ATs seems no higher than with most other guns. However, the above advice, to "torture test" you new pistol is absolutely sound. Do it with any new gun you might have to depend on in a spooky situation.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Just Curious...

Quote Originally Posted by S.O. Interceptor View Post
    Do yourself a favor before carrying a Hell-Tec for self defense. Torture test it. My brand new out of the boc POS3AT broke immediately. I bought it, fired about a box through it, and then carried it for a while. The very next time I fired it, it had a complete and total failure. Something in the trigger mechanism broke and turned it into a lightweight concealed carry paperweight. And this is a fairly common problem. The Keltec is hit or miss. Some seem to work forever, and some seem to come from the factory pre-broken it seems. If yours works, that's cool. But be 100% sure you don't have one of their many problemed chidren before you trust it with your life. KT customer service is far from good. I got the ole one finger salute and was told I had to pay to ship it back at my cost. And if they decided that their brand new gun broke because of a manufacturing flaw and not user error, they would fix it, but not reimburse me for shipping.
    My EDC is a Kimber...
    I do have 3 KelTec's...none of them have ever given me any trouble. They are not a 'take to the range for fun' gun...but they have been dependable.
    I don't doubt your opinion, but I am a bit curious of how you determined "And this is a common problem." Can you please state your factual source of info?

Respectfully,

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Kel Tec used to have several problems, but at least most of them have been resolved. Now, a fluff n buff is about all that is needed on any of the guns.

Mine has been 100 percent out of the box. It has worked though several thousand rounds, and doesn't show any signs of stopping any time soon.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    My EDC is a Kimber...

I don't doubt your opinion, but I am a bit curious of how you determined "And this is a common problem." Can you please state your factual source of info?

Respectfully,

ret
    What "factual source of info" do you want? I didn't save any of the links to posts about the broken triggers that I found when researching the problem.

But it's a fact that mine broke. And it's a fact that I have been present for others that broke. And it's a fact that several trustworthy people that I know had theirs break on them. And you can check other internet gun boards and find several threads regarding broken Keltec triggers.

If mine was the only one to ever break I would call it a fluke. But this has happened numerous times over the last couple of years just where I live and it has been a problem to P3AT owners on several gun forums. And it is the same problem over and over.

If a couple of hundred Chevy Silverados suddenly failed completely within a years time, all from the same problem, that would be considered a "common problem" among the Silverado and there would be a recall.

So yes, I consider the problem with the Keltec trigger a "common problem".

A friend of mine has offered to sell me his P3AT dirt cheap. He has had luck with it so far. But if I buy it I will torture it for a while before I'll ever trust it. And that's what I recommended to the original poster.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

500 rounds through my POS KEL Tec and NO PROBLEMS. Mechanical problems or operator problems who knows. But I have NO problem trusting my life to MY P3AT.
    ANY gun you buy sooner or later is going to have a small number in the production run that aren't up to snuff.
    Look at some of the Kimbers that had extractor problems..
    KT customer service, from what I've heard is superior to the vast majority of other gun makers.

Heres another place to ask your questions.

www.ktog.org
    They are strictly a Kel Tec owners group and can tell you anything and everthing about a KT, good or bad.
    Be safe.

Well, since it is on layaway, I guess I have no other choice but to finish it. At least it is just $250 versus $550 for my used SIG and $600 for my Beretta. But I still wanted something small but no less than .380 since I gave my Beretta to my GF. It also had to be reasonably cheap. The Kel-Tec came very close. I didn't want to pay another $500 for a Walther PPk or Beretta Cheetah, nor did I want a super-duper cheap made pistol.

I am sure that I did the standard check on that Kel-Tec. I ran the slide multiple times, pulled the trigger at least four times (i think I annoyed the seller), so it felt sturdy enough for me the buy it.

I guess wish me luck.

BTW: Any recommendations for magazine extensions, rubber grips, and maybe pocket holsters?

A large number of people that are on here have the 3at and love them. I have never had a problem with mine and do not know anyone else that has . Hope you have no problems with yours.

I believe the rate of return to the factory for gen 2 kts is around 3.5-4% according to KT's rep over the phone. Didnt call Colt's, Kimber, Sig, or Glock, but I imagine they have somewhere near the same.
    Just for info, my 2nd Gen KT was field tested with 200 rounds of Fed Classic HiShok 90gr hp ammo. 0 problems of any kind. A lot of folks I know carry KTs here cuz the weather is so hot. And the kt can be dropped in a Nemisis holster and it just dissapears. I PERSONALLY have not seen a kt failure. My father is a firearms instructor with the county so, and he has not seen any failures with the 2nd gen kt. Saw some with the 1st gen. That seems to have been ironed out. It is not my first choice in a defensive handgun. But, due to some low back surgery, it was near 'bout all I could carry for extended walks. And it beat nothing as I couldnt run from a fight/dog attack, or wrestle. So, it was the lesser of two evils. NO gun, and Small gun. Now, as a second gun that is easy to conceal, I like it.
    If it were to be a primary gun for whatever reason for extended periods, I would just get two. Two of these pistols is as easy as one plus its reload.
    Just my humble opinion and experience.

Dan

skippy,
    Check out ktog and ktrange for lots of info on holsters, extensions, grips, ammo etc.........

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    skippy,
    Check out ktog and ktrange for lots of info on holsters, extensions, grips, ammo etc.........
    Thanks for the help. I will look them up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links