Added a S&W M&P9

Added a S&W M&P9

This is a discussion on Added a S&W M&P9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Despite my better judgment , I purchased a fullsize M&P9. After a close inspection and familiarizing, I took it to the range last night and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Added a S&W M&P9

Added a S&W M&P9

Despite my better judgment , I purchased a fullsize M&P9. After a close inspection and familiarizing, I took it to the range last night and put 200 rounds (Remington UMC) through it. It is a pretty nice gun. For me, it does not feel as natural as the 1911, but it has a better feel than other polymers.

The model I bought has the magazine disconnect which renders the firearm useless when the magazine is dropped. Upon inserting the mag again, the gun returns to full operational status. My feelings are mixed on this feature. I could see it being useful if a confrontation ended in a scuffle, but at the same time, if the BG would drop your mag, you have a useless firearm short of beating the BG with it. I guess that's what my blade is for. Any opinions?

The trigger will take some getting used to, and I am considering a trigger job from Burnwell Gunsmithing. Dan's pretty close to my location and according to the M&P forum, I've heard some good things about his work. I am biased towards the single action of the 1911.

Anyone else have input on the M&P?

I am probably heading to the range again tonight and will get some pictures to post.

I have the M&P 40 and the M&P 9c. Both of these guns fit my hands better than any other gun on the market. Both have been 100% reliable and I recommend them to anyone I know who is looking for a carry pistol.

Brandon

I just got the M&P Compact .40. Feels really good, especially considering that I am used to my Glock 19. The .40S&W rounds are a lot snappier than I am used to. I ordered a UBG holster, belt and double mag pouch for it, and am anxiously awaiting their delivery. What holster(s) are y'all using? (Excuse the "Southernism, but "y'all" is such a convenient word! )
    LegalRaptor
    The freedom to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins
    Oliver Wendell Holmes

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    No experience with that gun but I have some that have the same mag disconnect and I personally don't like that feature on a personal defense handgun. In defensive situations you may want to reload while you still have one in the chamber to cover a threat. I think they call those tactical reloads when you reload before you run it dry. With a mag disconnect you can't to this. Plus if you ever fail to fully seat your mag then it could end up to be more than simply embarassing.

Still if it's a good gun and you get to where it's all second nature to you, it'll be okay. But I do believe the best thing for a defensive gun is to have no safetys, no mag disconnect, etc. That's why I like revolvers and simple DA guns like the kahr's.

God Bless
    Joe

eagle5, if you look on the M&P Forum, there is a link to Burnwell Gunsmithing that gives pretty good directions on how to disable that magazine disconnect. It appears pretty easy to do.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Assistant Administrator
    Hey - so you got it huh!!! Nice. Pics would be good later.

I discussed the M&P with Dan at the range last year while looking at his and he was then at least delighted with the gun and was using it for IDPA.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    A mag disconnect can be a pain, drop the mag and you cannot lower the hammer. as a secondary safety rolling around in a purse, ok; but then you have to seat the mag to use it. I won't buy another one with a mag disconnect.

Everything in my body tells me to get a S&W M&P, but logically I am sitting back to see how people like them; and I am waiting for more holster options as well. Until then I'll be like that kid looking through the glass at a toy store.
    Beretta 92FS

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    The M&P is a great pistol. I bought one for my wife without the magazine disconnect. I personally like a single action trigger better but the trigger on this one is pretty good. My wife's has about 400 rounds through it at this point and no malfunctions whatsoever.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

My EDC is an M&P compact .40. It is THE BEST small .40 I have ever shot or carried. The recoil is snappy (as are all smaller .40 pistols), but it doesn't kick nearly as much as a Glock 27 or one of the Kahr polymer .40's. I like the medium sized palmswell, but the large or small one may fit you better.

I'm waiting for mag spacers to come out for the full size M&P mags. You can use the full size mags, but it would be nice to have a spacer for a full grip. Two guns in one, kinda like the XD subcompacts.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

eagle5, why do you say, "Despite my better judgment"? I think you made a great purchase!!
    I have had my M&P .40 compact for a couple of weeks now. I love the gun!! I traded my Glock G27 for it and I don't regret it one bit. The M&P feels awesome in my hand, has better felt recoil and I am more accurate with it. I can't ask for anything more.
    I also really the fact that the gun was "Made in USA"!!
    I have a Cochise Defender on order with K&D Holsters() and a Infidel from Comp-tac on the way next week.

Ron

Last edited by ront; March 4th, 2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Spaced out pictures to separate
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Now some pics...

I am quickly coming accustomed to the M&P and am really starting to like it. I thought myself to be an XD man when it came to polymers, but now I am starting to think otherwise.

I am still warming up to the trigger. It just does not feel as natural as the 1911's single action. I refuse to discriminate on that fact alone.

Nowhere as nice as Ron's (which deserve a big ), but I snapped some pics tonight when I was at the range.

Last edited by P95Carry; March 4th, 2007 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Spaced out pictures to separate

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    eagle5, why do you say, "Despite my better judgment"? I think you made a great purchase!!
    Ron, I only say that because it was an impulse purchase. I usually take a long time studying and researching before I buy anything, including my socks. I was at a dealer's, ask to see it, fondled it, and before you knew it, I was handing over my plastic to be swiped.

I also like the fact that it is 100% United States of America and bleeds red, white, and blue!

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I got to try a G19 beside a MP, the MP just felt better and the trigger is easier on the finger. But I would have to say the Glock's trigger seemed more precise, mind you the G19 had about a thousand rounds through it and the MP was brand spanking new. Tried another MP, straight out of the plastic wrap, the trigger was horrible and the slide release was really stiff. I tried the gun a week later and with 150 rds through it. The trigger was a bit better and the slide release improved a bit. SW needs to get on top of the trigger issue as it will get a rep for it. People up here are also having problems with the 10rd plastic based mags breaking.

All said and done, this gun is on my list.

I shot my M&P Compact today - put about 100 rounds through it. Did not have any problems. The trigger was a little gritty initially, but smoothed out in pretty quick order. I also had the chance to shoot the new Kel-Tec PF9 today. The M&P was a lot easier to shoot/handle in comparison.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links