Stoger Cougar

Stoger Cougar

This is a discussion on Stoger Cougar within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I looked at a Cougar today. It was very nice and looks to be a nice carry piece. It was listed as $337.00 if I ...

Thread: Stoger Cougar

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar

Stoger Cougar

I looked at a Cougar today. It was very nice and looks to be a nice carry piece. It was listed as $337.00 if I remember correctly and it felt nice in the hand. The same pistol just a couple years ago was around $550-600. The same tooling, just made in Turkey now. Has anyone else checked this one out?

I owned a Stoeger Cougar in .40 for a brief time. It's a fine pistol, and a really soft shooter for a .40. A bit thick to carry for my tastes, but others carry them and love them. Great gun for the money, probably one of the best values going! I traded it off for another toy, but I put about 500 rounds through it without a problem. Come to think of it, I should have kept it!

CDNN (online) did have them for $299.00, but I haven't checked recently. $337.00 is a good deal, if you can snag one locally. They are made in Turkey on Beretta machinery, you can't go wrong with one. Beretta owns Stoeger.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I used to have a Beretta mini Cougar in .45ACP that I liked, but traded it against something I wanted even more. I have long regretted it. If Stoeger would put out a mini Cougar in .45ACP, I'd snatch one up.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I asked they had ever had one in a .40S&W and was told that they were trying to get some.

VIP Member
    Cougars are great guns. I have two, but they are Beretta (Italy) made.

BTW, here are a couple of good threads on these guns:

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=21175
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=18321

There are a few other threads on the Stoeger Cougars.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I have shot a Cougar in 9mm. Nice pistol.
    Sprinfield XD 4" .45 Compact
    Blackhawk SERPA

I have several Taurus PT92 and a PT92 compact that I like. The Cougar just felt good, and should not be a problem to carry. I carry double stack 1911s and Glocks so this should not be a problem either.

VIP Member
    I have the Stoeger Cougar in 40 S&W. I have put over 5000 rds through it with no malfunctions of any kind. Lots of add on available, I have added Meprolite nights sights, bought 5 extra 11 rd mags made by beretta for $19 a piece and have several holsters for it.

Great gun, reliable and I recommend it.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I got to say it's sounding sweeter all the time. I start out looking at polymer pistols and most of the time end up with another steel one. I can get this and a CZ of some kind for almost what the HK P2000 is going for. Pistols are like shoes to some women need a different one for every occasion.

I've replied to these threads every time so i don't want to disappoint. it's my EDC and my fave. i got mine at $350.00 and thought it was a steal not realizing at the time Stoeger took over. would have paid $600.00 for it honestly. it's the one on the left in my avatar. the other is a Beretta centurion .40, but it seems to be an acquired taste at times. like the glock fans and Beretta fans clashing in a way.

as an update, as of this Saturday, I'm now between 6500 and 6600 rounds with no problem. ammo donations are welcome!
    Last edited by downrange; March 4th, 2007 at 11:14 PM.
    What's this button do?

I have heard nothing but good things about these guns. I know 2 people who own them, both 9mm's and they have had no problems with them. I need to set up a time when I can shoot one of them because I really wouldn't mind getting one myself.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I like the looks of the 'Cougar' and I don't think you can go wrong with this weapon...

I have .45's and 9mm's, so I would do with the 9mm rather than the .40 to limit ammo purchase needs...

Price sounds great too!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Had looked at them in the gun shop and read about them, but just finally got to shoot one. These are good shooters, and recoil is very soft! Seems to me to be a best buy in .40.

However, it is IMHO a little thick for CCW, and the controls stick out a bit too. But at that price, if it was a .45, I might just have to buy one!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links