Breaking In How many rounds??

This is a discussion on Breaking In How many rounds?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a new XD-9 yesterday in subcompact 3" barrel. My question is how many rounds do I need to pump through this puppy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking In How many rounds??

I just bought a new XD-9 yesterday in subcompact 3" barrel.
    My question is how many rounds do I need to pump through this puppy before it's "broken in"?
    My CCDW class is next Sunday the 11th.
    I need to know if I can have the new toy broken in by then or do I need to take one of my old timers to the class.
    If I need to I can always leave the 9mm and take my Walther P-22, or one of my Taurus revolvers.
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 4th, 2007 at 12:19 AM. Reason: correct typo

Assistant Administrator
    Opinion (of course!) will always vary on this but IMO guns do vary as to what they might need for a reasonable break in. IMO SIG's do benefit from a good thruput - maybe up to 500 rounds and then they really come on song even tho it's unlikely any problems on the way.

However - the ubiquitous Glock for example does not I feel need much more than ''proving'' - which could be a few mag's full - maybe 100 rounds.

The XD would IMO be all but Glock in category and really not need a huge break-in at all. Providing reliability can be proven thru 100 rounds I really think you are good to go.

Revo's of course - - another ball game - five or six rounds according to capacity may well be enough!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

For my semi's, I tend to like to put at least 500 rounds through them as soon as I can, simply so all the parts "settle in" a bit and smooth out the action, etc.

I've probably already put 800+ through the P239 and am working on 300 in my XD45.

How Many Rounds?

...300-500 rounds to break in...
    ...another 50 rounds of my carry ammo...

That'll do it for me!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    You'll be interested in knowing that the way a firearm "break in period" works is that contacting metal surfaces abrade against each other & thereby polish themselves. Firearm break in times can be GREATLY reduced in most firearms by carefully polishing metal to metal surfaces. If you know what you're doing you can decrease the break in time and the expense of the break in ammunition.
    It's possible to screw up if you don't know exactly what & how to do it though.
    Just FYI
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 4th, 2007 at 12:35 AM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Xd is like a glock almost no break in need if it runs for say 100-200 rounds your good to go

almost no metal contact for the slide to have to polish the rail ways etc etc

I personally put at least 250 rounds through a firearm before I consider it reliable. Semi-autos, ofcourse.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Xd is like a glock almost no break in need if it runs for say 100-200 rounds your good to go .
    Yup, for the XD, by all accounts. Though, if doing a class or training, be sure to bring a backup gun (or two), just in case.

IMO, the short answer is: shove as many rounds through a gun as you can before you intend on relying on it for life-saving duties as a concealed carry weapon. It will be looser, more tolerant of variation in rounds/pressures/technique, the more rounds are cycled through a gun.

I'm of the opinion that a break-in period addresses at least the following: the smoothness of the feed ramp, breech face, extractor lip, bore, trigger and action ... and that it takes more than a cursory 100-200 rds through any firearm to loosen all of these up to the point where a gun can swallow/cycle any rounds without failure. Now, that's a broad definition of reliability and intended to be a general standard to cover any pistol you're going to be relying on. Some are box-stock reliable; many/most are not, at least for the first 1000rds or so. Though, I'd argue it's the ultimate goal of any firearm intended for defensive use: reliability enough to bet your life on, no matter what. That takes time for all parts to be working smoothly and in concert.

About the only way to shorten that break-in time, at least insofar as the feed ramp, breech face, extractor lip and trigger are concerned, is to have an action/trigger job that polishes these into shape before your shooting regimen has done the job. As for stiffness and cycling tolerance of a gun, a longer break-in period is about the only thing that loosens up a gun.

So. Glocks, Springfield XD's, a few of the SIG line and some others have a strong history of being highly reliable out of the box, at least with certain rounds and pressures. Many different guns have more-serious preferences and it takes some time to break-in such guns to the point of tolerance for bullets outside the area of preference.

Data point: A 1994 Browning BDM purchased new (by me) was fairly intolerant of most loads other than Remington Golden Saber 115gr or 124gr 9mm rounds, during the first 5000 rds put through the gun. After 10K rds, it became highly reliable. It rarely coughed over the next 30K rds, with the last 10K rds being completely, 100% error free. That wasn't by accident. That was the gun's smoothness entering a "sweet spot" where it became highly tolerant of anything fed into it. Got more accurate, as well. Several friends have reported similar findings with other guns, that a severe shooting regimen has the same sort of results, over time. (Witness most any vintage 1911 you like, then compare it to most any modern, tight 1911.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My basic rule = it's reliable when it has processed 200 rounds without a single malfunction. This could occur with the first 200 rounds through a particular gun, after many more hundreds in another, and in some guns - never.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

For me, 300 rounds of FMJ/JHPs and 50 to 100 rounds of JHP carry ammo.

Each person is different.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

kpw
    Most of the guns I've had problems with occured in the first few hundred rounds. I don't carry a pistol until it's had 500 rnds through it with at least a 100 being my carry ammo. Might be why I'm shying away from DPX.

Every semi-auto I get that I would consider to carry, I'd run a 1000rds(200rds for the gun & 800rds for me to fix/fine-tune my mechanics) of practice ammo through it(4-5 range visits, 1st visit cover the gun break-in everything else is for me).
    I usually run a 200rd reliability test for defense loads.
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

I go with 300 no failure rounds or it doesn't go with me for CCW. Steve48

Senior Moderator
    It's broken in when I can put 250 rds through it with no malfunctions.

In revolvers 50rds.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    My basic rule = it's reliable when it has processed 200 rounds without a single malfunction. This could occur with the first 200 rounds through a particular gun, after many more hundreds in another, and in some guns - never.
    This right here just makes me love my guns even more. I've NEVER had a SINGLE MALFUNCTION of ANY kind in either of my pistols, with my round count rapidly approaching 1K for the Sig and 300 for the XD45.

Great, great pistols.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links