Looking for a tip-up.

Looking for a tip-up.

This is a discussion on Looking for a tip-up. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has extremely weak wrists and fingers. She doesn't like shooting revolvers, and has trouble racking the slide on semi-autos. I'm considering buying her ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a tip-up.

Looking for a tip-up.

My wife has extremely weak wrists and fingers. She doesn't like shooting revolvers, and has trouble racking the slide on semi-autos. I'm considering buying her a tip-up semi, and am interested in the Beretta line. Whether in .380 or .32 ACP, are there other models I should be looking at?

I appreciate that 9mm is considered the minimum defense caliber, but I'm really only interested in hearing about tip-up barrelled semis at this time. Any advice on these lines would be appreciated.

She's a lefty, too, so ambi-models are especially desirable. Tip-up, ambi, smaller caliber-- does anything out there compete with a Beretta for reliability and accuracy (and cost)?

How old is your wife, does she have any medical or physical problems to cause weak wrists/fingers?
    Is she a smoker? Does she do any form of any kind of exerciese?

If memory serves, Beretta and Taurus have the tip-up's in .22, .25, and .32, but not .380.

The tip-up's are not really ambi either. The diminuative size really doesn't allow for an ambi safety.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything out there that fits your requirements at the moment. I will keep thinking, and if I do come up with something, I will post it here for you.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Beretta is the only choice in this formfactor imho , and then considering the ambi factor only from decocked and off safe with a double action pull first off . IMHO if she can manage the da pull on the beretta she can also master a tuned da on a revolver and in a bit more serious cal . Taurus has them in 9mm thro .357 and then there are the smiths and colts if your willing to bump up a notch on price from the taurus , or i could say spend on a revolver what you would on the beretta.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

kpw
    I don't know of any autos above .380 that are tip up design like the Beretta, I don't believe it's possible. I have a Tomcat sitting here that has been completely reliable for the last 5-6 years. The problem I see is that if she has weak fingers, the DA pull might be a bit much for her. The SA pull is fairly short and light. Most women that have fired this pistol have liked it alot. It's not Thor's hammer but 8 rounds of .32 are nothing to laugh at either. My Mother-inlaw carried a Taurus PT22 for a few years, another tip up design. She shot it fairly well and the DAO design didn't bother her. It was surprisingly a reliable little gun. She now carries a Tomcat.

My Wife Has The Same Problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Pramunitus View Post
    My wife has extremely weak wrists and fingers. She doesn't like shooting revolvers, and has trouble racking the slide on semi-autos. I'm considering buying her a tip-up semi, and am interested in the Beretta line. Whether in .380 or .32 ACP, are there other models I should be looking at?

I appreciate that 9mm is considered the minimum defense caliber, but I'm really only interested in hearing about tip-up barrelled semis at this time. Any advice on these lines would be appreciated.

She's a lefty, too, so ambi-models are especially desirable. Tip-up, ambi, smaller caliber-- does anything out there compete with a Beretta for reliability and accuracy (and cost)?
    Some thoughts for consideration...

I also thought about the tip-up barrel on the Beretta...but remember...this is only for the first shot...
    If there is a problem; she would still have to clear the weapon by pulling the slide...

My wife eventually settled for a S & W 637 with a Crimson Trace laser.

She can load it, clear it (yes, open the cyclinder), reload it, and shoot it with confidence.

The Beretta, on the other hand, only provided for an easy 'first load'...the first shell...the only problem is a bad shell or faulty reload and she is in trouble...

With the revolver, she can reload with confidence...and...handle light .38 loads...

OMO

Good luck...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The biggest caliber in a pistol with tip-up barrel is .380 from what I've seen. Its the Beretta 86, can't remember if it single stacked or double stacked magazine.

Have you considered Kel-Tec. The ones that I have looked at have a pretty light slide compared to other pistols of the same size. Heck, I was able to pull the slide with two fingers and a thumb.

How is she pulling the slide? I have "sissy" hands and sometimes had trouble pulling the slide. The way I over came it was by using the non-dominant hand to just hold the slide and use the dominant hand, with help of the arm, to push the frame foward.

i would have to agree.....kel-tec is pretty easy to chamber a round and have a pretty good rep for reliability. easy to carry easy to hide and not a bad gun all in all. .380 better than a .32. i do have a beretta tomcat in .32 and it is a good gun but until it is VERY broken or the hammer is all cocked it is a bear to get it to cock because there is very little to grab onto.

Pramunitis,

I've got a 3032 Tomcat that I've had for a couple of years. I'm also left handed, so I can speak to that as well.

Good points:

It's been reliable at the range and I originally tested it with carry ammo;Winchester Silvertip JHPs.

Tip up barrel makes it very easy to load.

Size is great for use a bug or summer gun.

Well made and simple to clean and maintain.

Issues to consider:

The mag catch button is located at the bottom of the grip, so mag changes are extremely difficult, at least for me, but I'm accustomed to using my trigger finger and practice primarily with a Sig (as a lefty).

Clearing malfunctions would be very difficult for anyone who had trouble racking the slide.

The Tomcat has a manual safety - something I shy away from on a SD handgun - but that's just my personal opinion.

So based on what you've said, I agree the tip up barrel is convenient, but overall I don't think this is a better alternative than any of the other choices suggested.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Some thoughts for consideration...

I also thought about the tip-up barrel on the Beretta...but remember...this is only for the first shot...
    If there is a problem; she would still have to clear the weapon by pulling the slide...

My wife eventually settled for a S & W 637 with a Crimson Trace laser.

She can load it, clear it (yes, open the cyclinder), reload it, and shoot it with confidence.

The Beretta, on the other hand, only provided for an easy 'first load'...the first shell...the only problem is a bad shell or faulty reload and she is in trouble...

With the revolver, she can reload with confidence...and...handle light .38 loads...

OMO

Good luck...

ret
    Excellent point about the slide and malfunctions.

I think retsupt99 has an excellent suggestion about the revolver.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Administrator
    Beretta...They have all of the bugs well worked out of getting compact & sub~compact semi-autos to feed and function with almost boring regularity. Super reliable firearms.

Yes, they really are.

And the Tip-Up barrel feature is neat and it works great. It's not a weak link.

Beretta model 86 "Cheetah" in .380

If you want a tip up barrel and a more serious self defense caliber, the Beretta model 86 Cheetah in .380 is probably the best bet. Here is a good article describing the gun:

Beretta .380 Cheetah article

The gun has an aluminum frame, weighs just over 23 ounces, and holds 8 rounds in a single stack magazine.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Ditto Pogo2

That would be my choice.

Lead Moderator
    Perhaps a different method of cocking is needed. If you have not tried , a clamp over the top grip might work better than the pinch of thumb and finger method.
    Also try getting her to make one quick movement, not a slow steady pressure.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

There's some great information here, and much appreciated. Thanks, especially, to the recommendations for semi-autos. As I stated in the original post, revolvers aren't a consideration. I already have an ample selection of Smith & Taurus wheelies (22lr, 22mag, & .357mag), none of which she cares for. She can't manipulate the slide on my Kahr K9 (no surprise, there). The 86 Cheetah, Tom Cat, and Kel Tec referrals will be checked out.

The very worst that will happen is I'll have more guns that I like to shoot, and will still have a really good excuse to buy more. ("I do it for you, honey!")

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links