High End 1911

High End 1911

This is a discussion on High End 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, I'v been saving my money and am looking to buy one of the higher end 1911's (for example an Ed Brown Special Forces). I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: High End 1911

High End 1911

Guys,

I'v been saving my money and am looking to buy one of the higher end 1911's (for example an Ed Brown Special Forces). I know I can get a quality "lower end" 1911 for much less but I'v always wanted one of the nicer 1911's. It's sort of like wanting a corvette even though the toyota will get you where your going. I have a Kahr PM40 and G36 for concealed carry so size of the gun is not my primary concern, although I would like to carry it some. One of my friends is talking to me about shooting some IDPA matches so I may use it for that.

I know several of the guys on this board know a lot more about guns than me so just wanted to get ya'lls thoughts on what to buy. Thanks

I held a $3k Ed Brown yesterday and it felt better than all the $1K 1911's I had ever held. I say buy the Brown.
    If he was gonna decorate his bar with my friend, he shoulda armed himself.

JD
    Administrator
    Get a Springfield TRP, 3K for a pistol is insane, I can't justify spending anything over 1k. The TRP is an excellent pistol and you'll still have some $$ left over.

If your insistant on a high end 1911, go with Nighthawk Custom.

if your gonna spend that kind of cash buy a Les Baer TRP, they're way better then an Ed Brown and kick the crap out of Wilson.
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 4th, 2007 at 03:54 PM. Reason: typo
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Buy the one that looks (and feels, if you can hold one) best to you..............

1943 - 2009
    I would love to be able to afford a high-end 1911 pistol like a Baer, Brown or Wilson, but they're way out of my ballpark right now.

Even if I could afford one, I would not use it for an everyday, or even occassional, carry piece. If you are involved in a self defense shooting, justified or not, your gun is almost certainly going to be seized, at least temporarily, by the police as evidence. The officer may or may not be a "gun guy" so he might not recognize or care that you just surrendered a 3 thousand dollar pistol.

Your gun might be held in evidence for an extended period and stored in an evidence room under less than ideal conditions, maybe casually tossed into a box or bin with other guns. Think about your Wilson tossed onto a pile of "Saturday Night Specials".

Something to keep in mind, IMO.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I have two Baer's that I'm very happy with; a 5" Concept V that I had decked out to use for IDPA and a 4.25" Stinger that I use for CCW.

My 5" Concept V has over 13K through it and it hasn't choked since the 1st 200 rounds. I still suspect that was a magazine issue. My Stinger has been flawless since day one, a little over 3K now. As a matter of fact I used it for a combat pistol and low light training class yesterday. Just shy of 400 rounds of my 200 SWC reload without a hitch.

I consider Les Baer pistols to be an awesome value in a semi-custom gun, but I wouldn't call them "high end". They're actually affordable when you come right down to it. I'd love to buy a Brown, but they're just past my point of diminishing returns, as are Nighthawk.

I owned 7 other 1911's before buying my 1st Baer. The bottom line is you only go around once, if you want it, and can afford it, buy it.

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck R.; March 4th, 2007 at 06:17 PM.
    homo homini lupus est

Look into a Clark Custom Meltdown built on a Caspian Frame.

Highly Recommended.

It was a toss up for me i could go brown or les baer i could get the baer with a ambi easier so i went baer and havent been sorry yet

Gratituious pic

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Ive shot all of the Makers mentioned...but only owned an STI for my topend 1911. Baers are very very nice.....probably my favorite out of all of them.
    The middle of the road...semi production/semi custom...like the STI/SA TRP/Top of the line Kimbers are very worthy of a look also.

Shoot well and good luck.........
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Administrator
    I agree with Eric Larsen, but all the well known names are good, its just a matter of finding one that will build one with all the features you want, at a fair price.
    "Just blame Sixto"

kpw
    I've handled a couple of Rock Rivers that were very nice. Same with CQBs, a couple of Baers. I still would like to get a Brown someday. The RRAs I looked at were put together pretty nice.

I would be afraid to scratch it up!!! Steve48

A Les Baer...

a 4" 1911...could move in with our family...we will provide a good home! Maybe some day...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Any of the guns that have been discussed are excellent, but for me the question always comes down to customer service. Will I have any problems or aggravation if I need something fixed? The 'Big Four" of "semi-custom" 1911s,Brown, Baer, Wilson and Nighthawk all make great guns, but if you research the various forums, you'll quickly find two of the above, have a lot of complaints about the way they seem to handle a lot of complaints, i.e. it's the customers fault, not the guns. The other two, Nighthawk and Wilson just fix it and pay for the shipping, without any aggravation. That's why I bought guns from them. Just my personal experience.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links