Soft shooting 380

Soft shooting 380

This is a discussion on Soft shooting 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay. Don't start with the "take her and let her try it out" stuff. I already know that. What I'm looking for is suggestions for ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Soft shooting 380

VIP Member

Soft shooting 380

Okay. Don't start with the "take her and let her try it out" stuff. I already know that. What I'm looking for is suggestions for things she may like to go and try out. I want to start soft so she's comfortable and not scared to try the next one. I want that gun she goes "OH YEAH. THAT'S GREAT."

My niece is extremely recoil sensitive. We've done the range rental stuff through quite a few guns and even found that the M&P 9 mm was a bit too much for her.

So I'm either going the .38 special route or the .380 route. Revolvers I know. So I have a pretty good idea of what to start her with and see if she can deal with recoil, while still maintaining some concealability.

I know beans about the .380. I, personally, don't like them. But, like we all say, better the .380 with you than the .45 home in the drawer.

So, I'd like some suggestions on soft shooting .380s that still allow concealability. Obviously, we won't be talking about pocket carry here. I *have* shot those and they've got a bit of a bite.

Suggestions, ladies and gentlemen?
    Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Luke 22:36

And God came down and gave unto John Moses Browning the divine knowledge of the perfect handgun. Amen.

I had a Bersa 380 for a while, nice gun, a little bigger and a little heavier than I wanted for CC or pocket.

Worth a look.
    Buckeye63 likes this.

The P238 is pretty soft shooting and also able to be pocket carried so the best of both worlds imo.
    BigG, SmoothJazz and 9kredline like this.
    A fanatic is one who won't change his mind and won't change the subject - WSC

The softest shooting 380 I have ever shot was the G42.

I doesn't matter what the general consensus is when it comes to Glocks and the "love 'em...hate 'em" debate. Try the G42 and see if she likes it. It isn't the smallest 380 out there but if pocket carry isn't a concern, then it shouldn't matter anyway.
    CalCarry, Holster and MdMike like this.

Ruger LCP is easy on your hand.

The Browning 1911-380 has to be right up there, but I have no personal experience with one. Yet.
    OldVet and MMinSC like this.

P238 or a G42. I've owned both and they were pretty easy to handle.
    CalCarry and ShooterGranny like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JT353 View Post
    The softest shooting 380 I have ever shot was the G42.

I doesn't matter what the general consensus is when it comes to Glocks and the "love 'em...hate 'em" debate. Try the G42 and see if she likes it. It isn't the smallest 380 out there but if pocket carry isn't a concern, then it shouldn't matter anyway.
    This is what I was thinking. She hasn't shot enough handgun to get a preference for grip angle. And Glock makes a fine gun (even though I love trolling the fanboys on here). I'm pretty sure the LGS has one in their range rental display.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    The Browning 1911-380 has to be right up there, but I have no personal experience with one. Yet.
    I don't think I want to start her out on a 1911. They're finicky and she has very little mechanical aptitude. Even though they are my favorite gun of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    Ruger LCP is easy on your hand.
    But that trigger pull.
    Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Luke 22:36

And God came down and gave unto John Moses Browning the divine knowledge of the perfect handgun. Amen.

I have several 380's each of which will have either a snappy or soft recoil depending on the powder in my hand loads. So, I suggest a gun that feels good in her hand and then try a selection of ammo that gives her the best felt recoil. If you are a reloader, try a slow burning powder for a soft recoil.

My 380's are Sig P238, Bersa 85, Taurus PT58, Beretta 84BB, Browning BDA 380 and Tristar C100. My shooting (and motorcycling) partner is a lady of age 69, stands 5'2" and says she weighs 125 lbs. Her favorite range gun is the Browning with a slow burning powder pushing 100 grain bullets. For her use at the range, I use IMR SR7625 or IMR SR4756 both of which are no longer being produced but I have a decent supply of these powders.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarpia View Post
    I have several 380's each of which will have either a snappy or soft recoil depending on the powder in my hand loads. So, I suggest a gun that feels good in her hand and then try a selection of ammo that gives her the best felt recoil.
    Negative. She's not going to be here forever (she's in college right now) and I'm not going to be able to handload for her forever. And soft handloads and a jump to self defense rounds are a terrible, terrible idea.

Factory ammo for the little lady is going to be required.
    CalCarry and zonker1986 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rdunawaytx View Post
    And soft handloads and a jump to self defense rounds are a terrible, terrible idea.
    Soft recoil does not necessarily mean the bullet velocity/energy is less than with a snappy recoil. A reloading data book such as a Hornady edition will show that a slow burning powder gives a higher muzzle velocity than with a fast burning powder.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarpia View Post
    Soft recoil does not necessarily mean the bullet velocity/energy is less than with a snappy recoil. A reloading data book such as a Hornady edition will show that a slow burning powder gives a higher muzzle velocity than with a fast burning powder.
    *chuckle* You mean this one?

20150711_093948.jpg

Also, let me bold the relevant portion of my post that you seemed to have missed.

Quote Originally Posted by rdunawaytx View Post
    Negative. She's not going to be here forever (she's in college right now) and I'm not going to be able to handload for her forever. And soft handloads and a jump to self defense rounds are a terrible, terrible idea.

Factory ammo for the little lady is going to be required.

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    CZ83 or Beretta Cheetah 83, 84 or 85.
    Taurus PT58 (big, heavy gun).
    Bersa Thunder
    SIG P230 or P232 (about $550)
    Colt Mustang
    Glock 42
    5lima30ret likes this.

chuckle...Yes, that one...

From my Lee 2nd edition, page 514...100 grain jacketed bullet: IMR SR7625 (slow burning, mild recoil) 855 ft/sec, IMR PB (fast burning, snappy recoil) 835 ft/sec.

Ok the best shooting or "softest" shooting gun is dependent primarily on control. Thus gun fit has more influence than anything. If she has average size hands for a woman then the Glock 380 or any similarly sized 380 should work. Any gun that puts your hand high into the grip and close to the axis of the barrel will "feel" soft guns that the axis is high usually will feel snappy. If you doubt what I say then do this yourself; shoot one of your guns grabbing grip low away from the barrel. Now get good grip high as you can without interference of the slide. Which felt snappy?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links