To 10mm or not.

To 10mm or not.

This is a discussion on To 10mm or not. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, my usual every day carry is a Glock 27 with extended mag, one spare mag, SOG Trident and flashlight (if I anticipate being out ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: To 10mm or not.

To 10mm or not.

So, my usual every day carry is a Glock 27 with extended mag, one spare mag, SOG Trident and flashlight (if I anticipate being out after dark). It all carries well and comfortably. I have recently been looking into a .45 and stumbled across some reviews on the Gen4 Glock 20 and 29. I like the Gen4 29sf for it's easier concealability. Not only am I liking it's knock down power for self defense, but I would also carry it while hunting - for bears and such. Anyone here have/carry a Gen4 Glock 29(sf)? Any thoughts? If not a 10mm, why?

I have the G20, and had the 29.

IMO, the 10mm is best as a one gun do it all type of gun, where your uses include woods bumming of hunting. For that purpose, I'd rather have the G20 full size.

But the 40s&w, loaded properly is about as good as it gets in the gun you have for about everything except serious hunting, where a longer sight radius is useful and more desirable.
    Truthfully, as as one who is a rabid 10mm fan, with a lot of experience with the cartridge in the field and as a carry gun, it is a little more than is needed for bipeds.

Of course there ain't nothing wrong with having a little more, either.
    But what you really need to do is keep the 40, and buy yourself a full size 10mm.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by jlynnhood View Post
    So, my usual every day carry is a Glock 27 with extended mag, one spare mag, SOG Trident and flashlight (if I anticipate being out after dark). It all carries well and comfortably. I have recently been looking into a .45 and stumbled across some reviews on the Gen4 Glock 20 and 29. I like the Gen4 29sf for it's easier concealability. Not only am I liking it's knock down power for self defense, but I would also carry it while hunting - for bears and such. Anyone here have/carry a Gen4 Glock 29(sf)? Any thoughts? If not a 10mm, why?

I have recently pondered the same question. I was also interests in a glock 29. The thing that put me off was the availability of 10mm and the price. Plus most SD ammo is a watered down version of 10mm and more like a .40. I believe underwood and double tap make full power ammo. You can order online from places like Georgia arms, who make their own ammo and it's reasonable. I've never shot a 10mm before but I'd imagine there would be quite a difference between 9mm and 10mm as far as recoil. If I planned on hunting or hiking in bear country a 10mm would be a solid choice. For SD/HD I think the three main calibers (9mm,.40 and .45) do well and are cheaper to shoot and train with.
    Glock 26 gen 4
    Glock 19 gen 3
    Kahr CW380 (sold)
    Kahr CM9

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I was looking at the 29, not to "hunt" with, rather to carry while I hunt...if that makes sense. But I certainly see your point with regard to the longer sight radius. I will keep the .40 (I NEVER sell my guns) and will look into the G20 and G29. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes to go with the G20 and keep the 27 as my daily carry.
    Phaedrus, bigpapa and ETXhiker like this.

for bears and such. thats funny stuff. I love the10 . get it if you can. if not you will be fine with what you got . if you got it

VIP Member
    From what I've been reading lately, if you don't load your own and you don't want to spend on high end ammo, 10mm may not be much of a step up from .40. I've kicked around 10mm as well, but I think I'm going to stick with .40 for EDC. Though I may pick up a G20 one day just to have another caliber in case of an ammo shortage.
    jlynnhood likes this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    From what I've been reading lately, if you don't load your own and you don't want to spend on high end ammo, 10mm may not be much of a step up from .40. I've kicked around 10mm as well, but I think I'm going to stick with .40 for EDC. Though I may pick up a G20 one day just to have another caliber in case of an ammo shortage.
    It'll be quite a step up in cost unless he reloads, 10mm ammo isn't nearly as cheap as 40, but I greatly prefer the 10 and if you do reload, very little difference in cost.
    Ianthin and jlynnhood like this.

Yep, 10mm for bears. Many a bear has been taken down with a 10mm handgun.

I carry a 29sf .. Dead accuart I like shooting it more then 40 ... And yeah the cheep ammo PPU etc will be like 40 in terms of power and kick but you put the hot stuff in there .. Woh
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I don't reload. I've seen 10mm training rounds for about $27 for 50 and good defensive carry for about $21 for 20 rounds. They are about 30% higher than .40, so that is surely one of my deciding factors.

I don't reload so I would rather just buy a .45.

Hey, a lot of guys in Alaska shoot Glock 20 full size!

Bay Area/Los Angeles, Occupied Territories of California
    Do you plan on going bear hunting? If not, why the need for 10mm? You will not find any two legged predators that can only be taken down with a 10mm. Stick with your .40.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I've owned a few .40s and a couple 10mms.

Other than the mild FBI type loads like the Hydra-Shoks of old,
    the TEN stomps the Forty.

When I sold my Witness and 1076, I was no longer into reloading and
    finding any type of 10mm (or .357 SIG ) ammo locally was a problem.
    and still is.

I also sold 750 rounds of hot JHP reloads.

The 10mm was a dream to shoot and reload for.

Myself, having shot a Gen 3 Model 20, found it to be too big for my hands, but
    I was accurate at the indoor range with it.

There are plenty of good (full power) hunting and defensive choices in 10mm ammo these days.

There seems to be a rekindled interest in both the .357 SIG and the 10mm this summer.

Both are very rewarding calibers.

I'm better of with .380, 9mm, and .45 ACP, as I can find it
    readily in my area, but still miss to raw power and joy of 10mm
    owner ship:)
    jlynnhood likes this.
    www.czforum.com
    FB: CZ 2075 RAMI Owners USA

Those Barnes 10mm are awesome!

Barnes 10mm= a.k.a. "The Copper Bucket"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links