Five-Seven?

Five-Seven?

This is a discussion on Five-Seven? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How is the Five-Seven for overall carry for extra protection while handling large amounts of money? Anybody fired it or have one? I'm most likely ...

Thread: Five-Seven?

Five-Seven?

How is the Five-Seven for overall carry for extra protection while handling large amounts of money? Anybody fired it or have one? I'm most likely buying one this week. I would like a little input. Thanks.

Check out FiveSeveNForum for lot's of info on the gun/round, but remember like any forum that is specific to a particular gun (or any other item) is likely going to be at least a little biased

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted J View Post
    How is the Five-Seven for overall carry for extra protection while handling large amounts of money? Anybody fired it or have one? I'm most likely buying one this week. I would like a little input. Thanks.
    Where are you going to be with that money? If in a home or business I would be happier with a shotgun or rifle. If you are transporting it then make sure that the bank or other business you are visiting will allow you to enter armed.

The FN FiveseveN has pros and cons. It has a 20 round mag as standard, it has little to no recoil and is reliable and easy to use.
    It is compromised for civilian use as the ammo options are limited for non-LEOs. Some people would not feel comfortable carrying a handgun in this caliber.

It's a great gun, but there are many other better guns for concealed carry.

It is good advice to check out the fivesevenforum, and to remember the bias. I recently got mine, and it does shoot as easily and as accurately as all the reviews say. It is also impressively light, even fully loaded with a 20 round magazine. If you check out the fivesevenforum on the ballistics and "real-world" performance of the 5.7mm round, the majority of the info you will find is from reported shootings with the P90. There's a few members there who have used the 5.7 USG or IOM for reported hog hunts and one member who states that he has used it on deer. It is also interesting to see the list of law enforcement departments that have adopted either the 5.7 or the P90. If you are from the camp of "shot placement over-rules all things" in stopping power, I think you will be very happy with the 5.7 USG. It is quick/light, easy to shoot well, and has a very prominent front sight blade that is pretty quick to pick up. I found that my shooting mechanics improved due to the lack of recoil, which has carried over to many of my other pistols. It has stayed surprisingly clean, maybe due to the lack of "discount" ammo availible and clean burning powder. I will also offer a two cents on the people who talk about how "expensive" the ammo is. In comparison to lead reloads, yes, it's expensive...but with ammo prices climbing, it is not significantly much more costly than reloadable FMJ name-brand ammo from any other manufacturer. I still carry my Glock 20 or my Sig P220 for my CCW...in big part because I have put hundreds of rounds through both, and have good holsters for them. Once I get a good carry rig for the 5.7 USG though, I may change my mind. All of the above is just one opinion, but I hope some of the info helps.

After buying a FiveSeven and stocking up on ammo, you won't have large sums of money anymore!

Joe

I've shot the 5.7 mm...a LOT!

Yeah, they carry easy. Yeah, they're light on recoil. Yeah, they'll defeat a soft armor vest like it was flannel. But I'm still wondering about the viability of a self-defense round that has "paper ballistics" between the .22 mag & .22 Hornet! I don't intend to flame the advocates of the 5.7mm or start another "my dog's tougher than your dog (9mm vs. 40 S&W vs. 45 acp) debate" (by the way, my ***** Boxer/Pitbull mix RULES over my A.K.C. German Shepherd male).

When push comes to shove I have to still follow the advice of the majority of combat experienced handgun instructors...carry the biggest caliber that you can shoot well. Until the 5.7mm handgun has a proven statistical record for STOPS on the street like the .357 mag, .357 Sig, .45 acp, etc. I'll stay away from the latest gee-whiz caliber and deal with the weight and the recoil of the tried-&-true oldies.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    It is compromised for civilian use as the ammo options are limited for non-LEOs.
    Actually, I wouldn't care to have the SS190 LEO/MIL round over the SS195 as the hollow point design of the 195 is much better for a personal defence round than the steel tip of the 190. it expands better and still has enough penetration through normal barriers. The only thing the 190 has going for it is the greater ability to penetrate hard targets and full blown body armour. I don't really see this as a likely scenario for citizen Joe.

EDIT: I personally don't think that the FiveseveN is that great for a personal protection gun. It is rather big and very bulky and the ergonomics are horrible to me. I can carry a Glock 17 and have 17 rounds of Ranger T or DPX for half the price of the FiveseveN with 20 rounds of 195 and am only giving up 3 rounds and no measurable difference in size.
    Last edited by jualdeaux; March 5th, 2007 at 06:37 PM.

I love my fiveseven. But when push comes to shove I still caryy my Kimber 1911 45acp. Nothing say I love you than a +p 200 grain bullet. I mainly bought my for the fun and if these gun hating idiots get there way it will be one of the first guns banned. I think it will be a good investment. IMHO.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

It's not a bad gun, but I'd be worried about over penetration. Even a 9mm FMJ round will go all the way through a person. the 5.7 mm (even in a hollow point) would be too likely to go through a BG and strike an unintended target. A Glock 17 loaded with JHP's will give you 17 rounds without that problem. Another choice in full size Hi-Cap 9mm is the new S&W M&P. Also a 17 rounder. Yet another option would be the good old Beretta M9 (or the Taurus clone). Mecgar just came out with a flush-fit 18 round clip, and a 20 round clip that hangs down just a hair. All good options that are about the sames size as the FiveseveN. And for quite a bit less $$$ too.

All that being said, I have been thinking about getting one for awhile. It'd just be a range gun though. Right now, price is the main hindrance. If I'm going to spend that much on a handgun right now, It'll be on a not-so-shiny new Sig P220 DAK. Or a SA XD .45 along with a Marlin 917. All for about the same money.

Just my opinion, of course. Hopefully we've all given you something to think about.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    All that being said, I have been thinking about getting one for awhile. It'd just be a range gun though.
    I want one as a range gun too, although with a capacity of 20 x 9mm I'm more inclined to get a CZ 75 TS, more accurate and about the same cost.

bae
    I have one - it's fun to plink with, and makes a great raccoon gun.

That said, I wouldn't trust it for self-defense purposes at this point - the performance of the catridge itself seem quite questionable to me. Plus, the gun has dreadful ergonomics for concealed carry. I'm sticking with my Glock+J-frame combo for now.

0.02, that CZ 75TS is, no doubt, a beautiful handgun but if ya' ever have to clear a stovepipe that requires a fast overhand slide to get back in the fight...that rear sight is gonna' take a substantial chunk of hide out of your off-hand palm. It's the ONLY thing I don't like about the CZ "frame-over-slide" design. There's such a narrow area to grab to manually cycle the slide. And when you're in a BIG HURRY (I've run IPDA Courses with my CZ PO1) that narrow area gets even smaller.

Don't misunderstand, I greatly enjoy CZ pistols. But that rear BLADE needs some front-to-rear ramp if it's ever going to be anything but a bullseye gun!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Agreed, but I would only consider owning a CZ 75 TS for plinking. I'm not even sure if it's advisable to carry that particular model even if you wanted to, the trigger is so light it would probably just end up as 'Prosecutor fuel'.

But I still want one, then I can go and out-shoot my G34.

Yeah, and the whole CZ 75TS (single action) "cocked & locked" issue becomes more Politically Incorrect all the time. I'm hesitant to carry my .357 Sig chambered Browning Hi-Power (a beautiful C&S custom) for the same reason. Even if it IS one of my most capable CCW options, I've had to explain its cocked hammer in my holster to friends who grew up around guns. They sometimes feel a little better when I remind them that the Remington 870 they HUNT WITH is normally carried cocked & locked...they just can't see the hammer!

But wait...I'm no thread pirate, I think we all pretty much agree that the FiveseveN may not be the best CCW option. Not that it's a BAD pistol or caliber, there's just DOZENS of security/protection-oriented alternatives that I would prefer.

Sponsored Links