Range impressions - G26 v G43 side by side

This is a discussion on Range impressions - G26 v G43 side by side within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I took the day off work today. The weather was beautiful, and I wanted to head to an outdoor range some distance from home...have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Range impressions - G26 v G43 side by side

So I took the day off work today. The weather was beautiful, and I wanted to head to an outdoor range some distance from home...have not shot pistol outdoors in years. I'm starting to get some tinnitus, so I'm trying to do more outdoor work to save what's left of my hearing.

I brought my G26, and my wife's G43, for a side by side comparo. I also wanted to see if there was any notable difference in the Tru Glo TFO sights on my G26, vs the stock sights on the G43. I have to say that, while the TFO sights were very bright in sunlight, I did not find them to be notably better than the stock Glock white on black sights. For future reference, I'll be saving some money and sticking with stock.

As far as shooting goes, the G26 was flawless as always. The G43...not so much. This is the third time I've had the gun to the range, for a total of a bit over 400 rounds...about 175 or so today.

The G43's trigger seemed closer to the G26's pull weight today, but still a little heavier. Maybe perception, or maybe the G43 is breaking in, but shooting them side by side seemed very similar, with an edge going to the G26. Interestingly, when I was done, I had a blister on my trigger finger...which I have never had before from shooting, ever. Most of my rounds were with the newer G43, so there might be something going on to cause that.

I had two feed failures with Federal bulk 100-rd FMJ ammo. I did an immediate tap-rack and continued to fire, as the ammo seemed a bit weak and I blamed the ammo. I then switched to WWB, and had one feed failure with that. Upon closer inspection, what actually happened was that the slide stop lever had locked the slide open with rounds still in the mag. No way I could have hit the lever with my thumbs, as I shoot with a revolver-style thumbs-curled-down grip.

I looked into the open chamber, and noted that there is precious little clearance between the nose of the feeding round, and the tab that engages the slide stop lever when the mag follower hits it. The gap between the two in the G26 is much, much larger...which makes sense, as the G43 is thinner. I think the nose of a round hit the tab under recoil, and locked the slide open. The good news is that the tab looks bigger than it needs to be, so tomorrow I plan on bringing the gun back to the shop where I bought it, and seeing if they can grind it back a bit.

I did call Glock, and they claim to not have heard of this issue. Ok then.

All in all, the G43 still has a way to go before I trust it, and before I consider my bad experiences with small 9mm pistols banished. If it wasn't for my wife wanting it (she still has not shot it, BTW ) I don't think I would have bought it. It does work better in a pocket than the G26, but for belt carry, I think the G26 is still the one to beat.

Until the G43 gets sorted out, my primary will continue to be my G26, G30, or SP101. Of course, once it is finally sorted out, my wife will then probably swoop in and finally claim "her" gun.

Anyway, hope this is useful info...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.

www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member

Thank you for the range report. I am trying to decide which one I want for my next Glock. I currently have a Glock 19.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Thank you for that report. I have had my G26 for just over a month and have found it to be flawless from day one. It's maybe not the most convenient to carry but it's my favorite because I just know it's going to be accurate and reliable. In particular I appreciate your comments on the sights.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Plan Z: Hope for the best.

I was REALLY wanting to get a 43, but since I retired/became self employed a couple of months back, my Glock 26 has become my daily carry in a Galco Miami Classic 2 shoulder rig. It is so comfortable and concealable (wearing the shoulder rig over an Underarmour Tshirt covered by a short sleeved shirt (unbuttoned)), that, at this point, it doesn't seem to make much sense to drop from 31s round of 9mm to 19 rounds of 9mm.

YMMV

Lon
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Sounds like your G26 is a better functioning gun. Well, give the G43 time,, It may do as you need .
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER…, POR QUE EN MI CORAZ”N Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

Nice report, I have not been impressed at all with the 43. I think there are much better options in the single stack category. The 26 is just so much better for multiple reasons imo. The 26 sets the standard for subcompacts.
    Strahan63 and TruthBalance like this.
    "We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion....Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
    John Adams

I have also had the opportunity to shoot the 26 and the 43 together. I don't own both but a coworker let me borrow his to go to the range. I liked both but I shot the 26 slightly better. I had my wife there so I wasn't shooting far, just between 7 to 10 yard. The 43 does have a noticeably heavier trigger pull then the 26.

All in all I wasn't impressed with the size of the 43. It's slightly thinner then the 26 but not by much. Obviously thinner is better for IWB. I think if I didn't already have a 19, the 26 would be the way to go. Plus the 26 can accept mags from the 17 and 19, even a 33 rd mag.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Glock 19 gen 3
    Kahr CW380

The main advantage I see of the G43 is that it will fit in (some) pockets, while the G26 really doesn't. There's too much "me" IWB, so I pocket and/or OWB carry.
    DRM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    Thank you for the range report. I am trying to decide which one I want for my next Glock. I currently have a Glock 19.

Get the 26, use Glock brand +2 mag extensions, and carry the 19 mags for spares. Easier to conceal than the 19, with 12 + 1 rounds as opposed to 15 + 1 for the 19. The 26 is quite accurate, and the extension makes it as easy to shoot as the 19. This is what I do when I can't carry a full size rig.

John W in SC
    ETXhiker likes this.

I took a closer look at the feed path of the G26 vs the G43 this morning, easing a round into the chamber of each gun from its mag. The results were very interesting...

The G26 feeds straight into the chamber (of course the round tilts up), with no left/right motion.

The G43, however, is different. The top round in the mag stack hits the underside of the ejector, which tilts the round to the left, toward the tab for the slide release lever. The round tilts right, and then into the chamber, as the slide comes into battery.

I am willing to bet that, at some point, Glock is going to need to redesign the slide release lever tab, to make it less likely for rounds to hit it on their way into the feed path. For now, I'm going to head to the gun smith, and see what he says about grinding it down and reshaping it a bit.
    DingBat likes this.

Gun smith at the shop my wife bought the gun at used a dremel to shave the tab back a bit. Will have to wait for the next range trip to see if the issue is fixed.
    drift and DingBat like this.

Took my wife to the range today so she could shoot her G43 for the first time. The results weren't too great. She could hardly hit a letter size sheet of paper at 7 yards. Bringing the target back to 3 yards revealed she was anticipating the recoil and shooting low. She got a little better after realizing what she was doing.

More troubling were the two failures we had, in only about 100 rounds. Both were repeats of the slide locking open with rounds still in the mag - once with her and once with me. She is a lefty, so no way she could have hit the slide stop lever. I will be calling Glock Monday and likely will be sending it in for service.

She tried my revolvers too. The SP101 (DAO) was a no go, she couldn't hardly pull the trigger. The LCR .38 was better, but even standard target ammo beat her up. Maybe light target WC loads would be better, but I didn't have any for her to try.

She shoots our G26 and G19 very well, despite her small hands. They are just a tad large for her to carry.

All in all, the G43 has been a major disappointment. If Glock can get it working, and she can learn to shoot it well, we will keep it. Otherwise it's gone. I have no further use for it...I'll take 5 rounds of .357 Mag for sure vs 7 rounds of 9mm maybe any time.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Took my wife to the range today so she could shoot her G43 for the first time. The results weren't too great. She could hardly hit a letter size sheet of paper at 7 yards. Bringing the target back to 3 yards revealed she was anticipating the recoil and shooting low. She got a little better after realizing what she was doing.

More troubling were the two failures we had, in only about 100 rounds. Both were repeats of the slide locking open with rounds still in the mag - once with her and once with me. She is a lefty, so no way she could have hit the slide stop lever. I will be calling Glock Monday and likely will be sending it in for service.

She tried my revolvers too. The SP101 (DAO) was a no go, she couldn't hardly pull the trigger. The LCR .38 was better, but even standard target ammo beat her up. Maybe light target WC loads would be better, but I didn't have any for her to try.

She shoots our G26 and G19 very well, despite her small hands. They are just a tad large for her to carry.

All in all, the G43 has been a major disappointment. If Glock can get it working, and she can learn to shoot it well, we will keep it. Otherwise it's gone. I have no further use for it...I'll take 5 rounds of .357 Mag for sure vs 7 rounds of 9mm maybe any time.
    Has your wife tried a Shield in 9mm? Might be a good alternative to the G-43. My wife shoots my Shield very well!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Has your wife tried a Shield in 9mm? Might be a good alternative to the G-43. My wife shoots my Shield very well!
    Being a lefty, the reversible mag catch on the G43 was a selling point for my wife.
    DingBat and 5lima30ret like this.

Sounds like the G43 is less than suitable for carry... I personally do not like guns that small, but my father bought a G43, he likes it alright, and I've shot it when I go to the range with him, without any malfunctions fwiw, but he carries his G42 with mag extensions a lot more often because it seems to just be easier to shoot. The G43 is pretty snappy to me, and I'm a .40 guy...

Hope Glock straightens it out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    5lima30ret likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links