Range Report: S/A Micro-Compact .45

Range Report: S/A Micro-Compact .45

This is a discussion on Range Report: S/A Micro-Compact .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay all, so I couldn't wait, I picked up my new .45 on Sunday and took it to the range last night. Sorry no pictures ...

Thread: Range Report: S/A Micro-Compact .45

Thumbs up Range Report: S/A Micro-Compact .45

Okay all, so I couldn't wait, I picked up my new .45 on Sunday and took it to the range last night. Sorry no pictures but I'll work on that for the next time. Sunday it took a bit for me to figure out how to break the S/A down to clean her up(owners manual was not in the box!), it's a bit different than my Ruger, but after a few Google searches I figured it out.
    But last night 200 rounds of FMJ Remington ( 1 box of 185gr and 3 of 230gr) I only had 1 FTE (stovepipe) and I do believe that it was my fault. Also 50 rounds of Hydro-Shocks 230gr HP's. No FTF, no FTE's besides the 1, no other malfuntions whatsoever. My initial impressions of the S/A were great. It fits great in my hand, shoots where I'm pointing it and the recoil for such a short barreled .45 was very manageable, almost to the point that my recovery time back on target was faster than with my 40. The sights are quite a bit smaller than on my 40 but I'm not going to change, I'll just have to get used to them, and lastly the protrusion(lip) on the base of the magazine digs into my support hand when firing. I'll either figure out another way to hold my support hand or try a longer magazine. 6 shots ain't many, but if you need more than 2 then your not pointing at the right spot! Overall after a few more boxes to give me 100 % confidence, this will definately be my primary carry.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

I find my Springfield Micro Compact Bi-tone is a very accurate, reliable and easy to carry. I really like that little gun. Steve48

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'm looking to get a small .45 but wonder about muzzle flip. Can you guys comment on how comparable it is to a 9mm or perhaps a full size all steel 1911? I know it'll be worse but if the flip and recoil is too much...well I want to be able to shoot it a lot.

I've been looking hard at the SA EMP in 9; I LOVE the 1911 format and with the 9mm it would be a breeze to carry but somehow it seems wrong to buy a $1000.00 9mm when I already have a kahr P9 that is simply outstanding.

So if you could describe a bit more, I for one would appreiate it. I do wish SA had put checkering on the front strap, that might have helped with grip a bit...Kimber has it on their CDP line.

Glad you guys are enjoying those SA's, they sure are beautiful weapons!

God Bless
    Gideon

I have the steel framed GI Micro and a LW Commander as well. They are suprisingly similar to shoot for me. One of the things with shooting a three incher though is proper grip and technique is a must. You limp wrist it once and it'll let you know! That being said I've not had any problems past break in unless I tried poor shooting.

As for muzzle flip, I have a very strong grip and only notice a slight increase until I try +P rounds. The +P EFMJ I carry in the Commander produces much more flip in the Micro so my carry load for it is short barrel Gold Dots. I really am happy with my Micro!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

My Springfield Micro compact bi-tone is sweet to shoot and you would be surprised at the lack of recoil in a 45 ACP . Steve48

Okay... SO I've put quite a few rounds (1000) thru my SA MC and it shoots great. and I'm actually getting used to the small frame. I did have some feeding problems with Federal Hydro SHock feeding correctly. THe first and a few of the second rounds would not feed right, that is definately a NO NO for a Carry gun, so yesterday I tried a few boxes of Winchester SXT HP 230gr and they fed flawlessly. I'll still be on the endless search for more ammo it'll eat without a hic-up and I'll keep you posted.

And Gideon, being the MC only has a 3" barrel it does have a bit more OMPFF than a 4 or 5 inch barrel, but it is surprisingly controlable.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

I love my SA Micro Compact. Shoots great. Works every time!
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Thanks for the update Alex. I had some feeding issues with Hydra Shoks with my Springer Champion. Polishing the feed ramp took care of that. Glad the Micro is treating you well.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again...I love this gun and wish I could afford it. Great Shooter!

Mo
    Anyone have an opinion on the GI Micro-compact? I have a 5" GI and put new grips, grip bushings, sights, mainspring housing and barrel bushing on it, and it's now one of my trusted carry guns. Would a similar transformation be possible for the GI MC, or is it just too unreliable for carry? It's less than half the cost of the lightweight loaded model in my part of the country.

As above I have a GI Micro. All I've done to it was made new grips (purely for looks I admit), polished the feed ramp and breach face. mine eats everything I've fed it so far. No barrel bushing as it's a bull barrel setup. A beavertail would be nice but I don't really need it, it doesn't give me hammer bite. Overall very happy with it.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Good to read about this. My fiance picked one up at the last gun show and said it felt perfect in her hand, so I'm considering buying her one.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I am obviously one fo the few that is not impressed with mine. minor feeding issues. ..and it has been back to springfield also..maybe its me (?)

I'd let mine go if anybody is interested.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I have a Mil Spec Loaded Micro. The thing FTE'd the first 24 of 30 rds. Went back to SA for a new extractor and barrel ream. The next 450 rds were hit or miss (sorry for the pun). Some FTF the last round and some FTB. It went back again last week and now SA is telling me that its running great there.

I want it to be my primary carry so I'm willing to put a lot of time into it. I'm hopeful its just a limp wrist issue... but we'll see this weekend.

Seth

Sponsored Links