Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget) - Page 10

Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget)

This is a discussion on Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SpringerXD I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have already been discussed. What happens when you slightly let off the ...

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree353Likes

Thread: Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget)

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have already been discussed. What happens when you slightly let off the Gadget while holding the trigger? If it fires, I really don't want my thumb right behind the slide.
    Your thumb behind the slide is the least of your worries if you have a negligent discharge.

I've never needed an external manual safety. I probably never will, either. The most important safety is between my ears.
    Master Resiliency Trainer.
    Guns: Glock 19, Glock 43.
    Holsters: Galco King Tuk, MIC holster, Blackhawk Serpa.
    Defensive Load: Remington HTP (Because poor).
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    What exact scenario are you envisioning exactly? In what circumstance are you moving the trigger while your thumb is on the slide?
    That was my point. I see no reason to ever have a thumb on the rear of the slide unless I'm holstering.

But with this Gadget, I could see someone developing the habit of having a thumb there.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Only when holstering, which is exactly the point.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Has it not been mentioned that the Walther PPS has had this feature for a long time now? This isn't a genius new idea, it's an idea taken from another gun and ported over to another. I think it's smart and assuming it's well built, it doesn't hurt to have an additional safety that doesn't come into play when it really matters.

Glock revolutionized the pistol industry, going backwards is not revolutionizing. People and their fear of a firearm with three internal safeties all ready in place just drives me nuts. Go put safeties on your revolvers if you are that unsafe when handling firearms.
    smolck likes this.

I've seen how Southnarc treats guns firsthand. If they didn't malfunction for him, I'd wager they'll be pretty solid.

Obviously it's not for everyone, but it seems like a fine idea for those that want them.
    The 9mm only kills your body... but the 45? That kills your soul.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVESKI View Post
    Has it not been mentioned that the Walther PPS has had this feature for a long time now? This isn't a genius new idea, it's an idea taken from another gun and ported over to another. I think it's smart and assuming it's well built, it doesn't hurt to have an additional safety that doesn't come into play when it really matters.
    I've seen this mentioned in several place but can't find anything about it, just looked through the PPS manual. Can you point me to anything about it?

EDIT: Are you referring to the bobbed hammer on the PPX?

brocktice,
    The loaded chamber indicator on the PPS actuates(extends) with the trigger pull. It's possible to stop the trigger from breaking if enough pressure is applied to the chamber indicator with yor thumb. It's certainly a tactile warning that the trigger is being moved.

I have not tested whether the PPX will fire a round with the hammer blocked, but you cannot stop the trigger from breaking by blocking the hammer.
    OD* likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    brocktice,
    I have not tested whether the PPX will fire a round with the hammer blocked, but you cannot stop the trigger from breaking by blocking the hammer.
    No but it's only half-cocked by the slide racking (right?) so you can block/feel moving the hammer if the trigger is being pulled, as I understand it. Does that sound right? Never handled one.

I found this which shows a "cocking indicator" on the back of the PPS slide.

Walther’s New PPS 9mm Semi-Auto Pocket Gun

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    No but it's only half-cocked by the slide racking (right?) so you can block/feel moving the hammer if the trigger is being pulled, as I understand it. Does that sound right? Never handled one.
    Essentially correct but the spring tension on the hammer is very light and it's not easy to detect movement if you have any pressure on the hammer at all and you can pull the trigger fully through the break with hammer completely stopped. You would feel the hammer move back if you "hover" your thumb over it though.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    I found this which shows a "cocking indicator" on the back of the PPS slide.

Walther’s New PPS 9mm Semi-Auto Pocket Gun
    Yep, that's what I called the loaded chamber indicator which is not entirely accurate as it is visible when charged regardless of whether a round is chambered or not. It does stop the trigger completely if enough pressure is applied. The advantage of the Gadget over Walther's "cocking indicator" is one of surface area and leverage. It should be much easier to stop the Glock trigger with the gadget than it is to stop the PPS trigger with the tiny little indicator pin.
    brocktice and OD* like this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Interesting!

I did a "pencil test" on the PPX and got a surprising result. I dropped a pencil, eraser end in down the barrel of an unloaded, cleared but charged PPX, 9mm and with the barrel pointed straight up pulled the trigger. The pencil bounced about and inch. I then did exactly the same thing but held the hammer down with my thumb and the pencil was bounced entirely out of the barrel. So, it appears that the firing pin is hit with more force when stopping the hammer from traveling backwards during the trigger pull. One would assume then that the visible "hammer" is completely superfluous to the operation of the pistol and is an entirely cosmetic indicator.
    OD* likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Interesting!

I did a "pencil test" on the PPX and got a surprising result. I dropped a pencil, eraser end in down the barrel of an unloaded, cleared but charged PPX, 9mm and with the barrel pointed straight up pulled the trigger. The pencil bounced about and inch. I then did exactly the same thing but held the hammer down with my thumb and the pencil was bounced entirely out of the barrel. So, it appears that the firing pin is hit with more force when stopping the hammer from traveling backwards during the trigger pull. One would assume then that the visible "hammer" is completely superfluous to the operation of the pistol and is an entirely cosmetic indicator.
    Wow that's pretty strange. I'm going to have to find a parts diagram for the PPX and take a look now.
    The 9mm only kills your body... but the 45? That kills your soul.

It's definitely a hammer fired system. It looks like the main spring is fully cocked by the slide actuation but the hammer is in a "half cock" position with a very light secondary spring. Pulling the trigger brings the hammer back to full cock(to the position the main spring is at) then releases the main spring. Blocking the hammer travel just shortens the hammer stroke but not the spring travel.

Evidently, the inertia from the hammer is enough to significantly slow the main spring down?
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links