Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget) - Page 13

Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget)

This is a discussion on Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by firefighterguy I don't understand your phrasing. Are you saying, can I fire a shot with my thumb on the rear of the ...

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree353Likes

Thread: Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget)

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    I don't understand your phrasing. Are you saying, can I fire a shot with my thumb on the rear of the slide?

No.

I also cannot do that with any gun with a hammer. I have never heard of that technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many fights are up close fast and dirty. In order to fire a pistol when it is pressed into someone you need to keep the slide in battery. With a Glock you can hold the slide in battery with your thumb and thus fire the pistol, at least 1 shot.
    OD*, 10thmtn, Mike1956 and 2 others like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Many fights are up close fast and dirty. In order to fire a pistol when it is pressed into someone you need to keep the slide in battery. With a Glock you can hold the slide in battery with your thumb and thus fire the pistol, at least 1 shot.
    What do you do with a hammer fire gun like a 1911 or any of the sig & hi variants?

Who teaches this?

What do you do with a hammer fire gun like a 1911 or any of the sig & hi variants?

Who teaches this?

You learn to run YOUR gun. A 1911 for example, you cannot have the muzzle in hard contact. I was taught in LE, I do not know where in the civilian world you would get this training, now that you are aware of it you can work on a technique with your gun, that works for you. It is why many still prefer revolvers as BUG's.

I know you are a firefighter so it might take a few tries.

Amen

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    I know you are a firefighter so it might take a few tries.
    That's just mean, man!

But funny.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I went back in this old thread and JD said you could still do a contact shot with this installed. Would love to hear how exactly, as otherwise this could be a great way to holster more safely. Especially for officers festooned with gear who have to no-look the gun into the holster when cuffing a suspect.
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

It already has safety's built in. If that and proper training are not enough for you don't carry a Glock.
    2ndunamended likes this.

I have one on my pistol right now. You cannot fire a round with your thumb on the slide plate. That's the whole concept behind it.

I can fire a contact shot just fine. But no, the gun won't fire if my thumb is on the slide plate.

bmcgilvray likes this.

I have one on my pistol right now. You cannot fire a round with your thumb on the slide plate. That's the whole concept behind it.

I can fire a contact shot just fine. But no, the gun won't fire if my thumb is on the slide plate.

Can you get your thumb under it, to ensure the slide stays in battery for a contact shot?
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

I don't think so. I will check later during dry fire and report back. You may be able to put your thumb on the edge and it still fire.

I can just image the first time someone goes to put there thumb on the device and attempts to pull the trigger - not realizing that their thumb had not engaged said device. Training yourself to put your thumb behind the slide is an awfully bad idea. And, if you can do that, can't you train yourself not to put your finger on the trigger?
    2ndunamended likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Can you get your thumb under it, to ensure the slide stays in battery for a contact shot?
    That is a fine motor skill. I predict that in a grappling fight, it ain't happening.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Amen

That is a fine motor skill. I predict that in a grappling fight, it ain't happening.
    I was just guessing. JD stated a while back in this thread that you could do a contact shot with this device installed, and I cannot figure out how that could be.

One of the advantages of a striker fired pistol like a Glock is that you can force the gun into battery, and at least get off one contact shot. This device seems to negate that advantage unless I'm missing something...though it does seem to make no-look holstering much safer as a trade-off.

I was just guessing. JD stated a while back in this thread that you could do a contact shot with this device installed, and I cannot figure out how that could be.

One of the advantages of a striker fired pistol like a Glock is that you can force the gun into battery, and at least get off one contact shot. This device seems to negate that advantage unless I'm missing something...though it does seem to make no-look holstering much safer as a trade-off.
    Of course the hundreds of fights I have been in on duty, I only once thought about shooting the guy, but a 6" 686 makes a nice club too.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Amen

Okay I checked tonight to see if it was possible. While I would never use that technique I understand it's a concern for you and for others. Here is a picture of the device. I pulled it out to help everyone understand it hopefully

IMO there is adequate room at the top of the slide, especially with the sights I have, to put your thumb on there to keep the slide in battery.

Pressure at the bottom is what prevents the striker from falling. But the device wasn't necessarily made to prevent the gun from firing (although it can do that with enough pressure) it was designed to give you tactile feedback if something presses against the trigger.

10thmtn, OD*, Brass63 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho41 View Post
    I can just image the first time someone goes to put there thumb on the device and attempts to pull the trigger - not realizing that their thumb had not engaged said device. Training yourself to put your thumb behind the slide is an awfully bad idea. And, if you can do that, can't you train yourself not to put your finger on the trigger?
    That's not how the device works. You don't ever put your thumb on it while firing. It was created to help you safely reholster. Gun safety isn't as simple as keeping your finger off the trigger. There's plenty of people who have had an ad because something got caught in the trigger guard while reholstering.

10thmtn, OD*, PEF and 1 others like this.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links