Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget) - Page 15

Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget)

This is a discussion on Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 2ndunamended Holding your thumb on the gadget and relying on it as a safety when Glock has all the safety you need ...

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree353Likes

Thread: Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndunamended View Post
    Holding your thumb on the gadget and relying on it as a safety when Glock has all the safety you need if your finger is off the trigger.

I'm referring to the gadget in the OP.
    Not sure I follow. Are you saying it's unsafe to holster a Glock with your thumb on the back of the slide? I don't see how this teaches a bad habit if someone holsters that way with an unmodified Glock.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Senior Member Array 2ndunamended's Avatar
    Any mod to a Glock that causes one to do anything different than they would normally do while holstering a Glock is a bad habit. If one holsters with their thumb on the back of the slide already, with the requisite pressure required to activate the gadget, then I'm sure there is no problem.

If someone feels the need and wants to modify the best stock semi auto in the world, that is their right. If someone wants to train accordingly with the modified firearm, that is also their prerogative.

I personally don't see the benefit to installing a modification that repeatedly presses against the striker, with the intent of preventing it from working, especially when the Glock is already designed not to activate the striker if the trigger finger is off the trigger. Considering Glock's track record, I'm certain they'd have already installed such a device if it was necessary.

YMMV. Depends on how you train.
    If you're offended by anything I say, I'm offended that you are such a sissy.

NRA Life Member
    Gun Owners of America Member
    NRA certified Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndunamended View Post
    I personally don't see the benefit to installing a modification that repeatedly presses against the striker, with the intent of preventing it from working, especially when the Glock is already designed not to activate the striker if the trigger finger is off the trigger.
    Again, I think you're missing part of the intent. It's about preventing the gun from firing when holstering if anything finds its way into the trigger guard, clothing, holster material, drawstrings, etc. If someone is reholstering with their finger on the trigger this isn't going to help them as they're likely on their way to having a ND anyway.

As well, the striker and the gadget don't make contact with each other unless the thumb is on the backplate AND the trigger begins traveling rearward. There's no repeated contact between the striker and gadget unless you're constantly reholstering with things inside the trigger guard.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor
    Bottom line? They haven't been selling like hotcakes, we don't see people in droves reporting they've bought one or use it/
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Does the back of the striker contact the gadget when firing?
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Does the back of the striker contact the gadget when firing?
    Very lightly.

This video should give you an idea: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOkyHoMD...farmeddynamics
    10thmtn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by heymarv View Post
    I've had the "gadget" on my Glock 19 for a few weeks now. Easy to install, boringly simple to use.

Even the smallest rearward movement of the trigger is felt in the thumb via the "gadget". If I've done my job reholstering slowly, safely, and deliberately, the odds of something possibly interfacing with the trigger or finding its way into the holster are vanishingly slim. The "gadget", while not making the reholstering process any closer to foolproof, does add one more level of awareness, one more check and balance against having a negligent discharge. Has nothing to do with the ego being wrapped up in our ability to control our trigger fingers.

After actually inspecting and using one, I have no concerns about it failing. It's a very simple, solid piece of machining. And if it does fail, it "fails" in the same way an escalator fails its way into becoming stairs.

Will likely purchase another for my Glock 17.
    The problem with "one more check and balance" is that it's not a "balance" and ADDING unnecessary steps INCREASES the likelihood of failure by increasing chances TO fail by adding additional steps.

Adding steps is not a replacement for proper training and proper training does not guarantee success, especially if more steps are involved.

A hard break in re-holstering will do more for safety than a mechanical device, IMO.

Just my thoughts. Carry safe and stay safe.
    2ndunamended likes this.

I'm not understanding the hate here. This thing just allows you to holster the way folks have done with revolvers and hammer fired semi autos for decades...thumb on the back of the slide/hammer to prevent the gun from firing if anything got caught up in the trigger...and...keeps the slide in battery.

It's not a substitute for safe gun handling, like keeping your finger off the trigger still doesn't mean you sweep people with your muzzle.

Only issue I have with it is cost...I'd need four of them...
    tmoore912 and gqllc007 like this.
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksinthe View Post
    The problem with "one more check and balance" is that it's not a "balance" and ADDING unnecessary steps INCREASES the likelihood of failure by increasing chances TO fail by adding additional steps.
    I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. Anecdotally, the way I reholster would already be considered safe and competent by most reasonable people (unless you're opposed to AIWB as a rule). Aside from never reholstering quickly, I look into the holster for obstructions, finger is high and away, indexed on the ejection port, gun is inserted into the holster canted away from body. Already my thumb is flagged on the backplate, though, prior to installing the "gadget" I didn't put much force on the backplate with my thumb; now I do. So, utilizing the "gadget" isn't in lieu of already safe processes, it's in addition to them. So, I'm not sure where the increase in likelihood of a ND during reholstering would be coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksinthe View Post
    Adding steps is not a replacement for proper training and proper training does not guarantee success, especially if more steps are involved.
    Agreed. This doesn't make an incompetent person safer.
    tmoore912 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Bottom line? They haven't been selling like hotcakes, we don't see people in droves reporting they've bought one or use it/
    To be fair, it's a new product that just started shipping in January. I believe it circulated inside the industry and on forums but there's been no real advertising to speak of. Considering it was a project that had its genesis in crowdfunding, the first production runs have been relatively small.

I have one on my G33. It works perfectly as advertised. Do I absolutely need it? No..but I do use it when re holstering. Especially IWB

I read where there is a scenario where you might be in close quarters and have to push your gun into someone's misdection in order to fire and get out of a scrape. In that scenario, you would press your thumb on the end of the slide to keep it from going out of battery. Am I wrong about this?

Quote Originally Posted by heymarv View Post
    Again, I think you're missing part of the intent.
    Respectfully, I'm not missing anything. I just don't think the gadget makes much sense. If one is afraid of a ND when reholstering, then they should either train smarter or get a different gun than a Glock. It's not that difficult a concept. If one has a finger on the trigger when they reholster, they shouldn't have a gun in the first place.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MuchoUno View Post
    I read where there is a scenario where you might be in close quarters and have to push your gun into someone's misdection in order to fire and get out of a scrape. In that scenario, you would press your thumb on the end of the slide to keep it from going out of battery. Am I wrong about this?
    Probably not, because pressing against the now notorious gadget would prevent the striker from firing the gun. You'd either need a revolver or a knife in the other hand- or some space between you and the assailant.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MuchoUno View Post
    It's possible to find yourself in that situation I suppose, but rather unlikely. As well, if you're close enough to push a gun into someone, you're in a clinch and it's also possibly a bad idea to introduce a gun into that already bad situation. Very hypothetical either way. The slide can still be kept in battery using the thumb even with the gadget installed, there's still quite a bit of real estate between the gadget and the rear sight to plant your thumb.

However, the odds and reasoning for having to shoot someone in this manner don't outweigh the gadget's usefulness in my opinion.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Sponsored Links