Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget) - Page 3

Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget)

This is a discussion on Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DocT65 Personally, I dont see a need for this device. Glock pistols have been used now for decades in the military and ...

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree353Likes

Thread: Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget)

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    Personally, I dont see a need for this device. Glock pistols have been used now for decades in the military and LE sectors with an excellent record. I certainly would be reluctant to modify the action of such a reliable and safe weapon based on a theoretical. If you don't like a striker fire weapon, simply don't buy a Glock. It's that simple.

I certainly don't forsee Glock making this modification at a factory level, nor endorsing the post-sale modification of their pistols.
    There's an old saying,

Never screw up so bad that they name the screw up after you!

I think that refers to the name "Glock Leg".

DR

Distinguished Member Array nlyric's Avatar
    Don't want this on any of my Glocks.
    Funny how my spell check always changes "Glocks" to "Blocks" LOL.(maybe they should call this a smart a$$! phone)
    I am however impressed by the simplicity of the design and the thought that went in to it.
    It might be just another after market part for those that feel the need. Looks to me like the device simply replaces the cover plate. Not for me, but there are many that wouldn't do to their Glocks what I do to mine.
    "It's almost like a right, except without the pesky Liberty"
    Author unknown.....

I like the idea and holstering my gun when I cannot see the holster due to a neck injury limiting my head movement, is one of the reasons I do not like carrying a Glock. I was raised on guns with hammers and all but 2 of my 18 carry guns have them. I like to be able to put my finger on the back of the trigger and tell if it is moving. It has nothing to do with complacency because our brains are not good safeties and we can see evidence of this every day and in most items we use. If our brains were so go, Glock would not put safeties in their guns to protect THEM from legal liability.
    nlyric and SWIll like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    If you put one of these on your Glock and holster it, if something interferes with the trigger and you let go with your thumb it is still going to fire as soon as you let go. It is not another safety, it is another part for something to go wrong with.
    If this works like my PPS as soon as there is pressure on the trigger you will feel it pressing on your thumb letting you know something is interfering with your trigger just like on a hammer fired pistol. Heck now I might actually consider buying a Glock.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    Personally, I dont see a need for this device. Glock pistols have been used now for decades in the military and LE sectors with an excellent record. I certainly would be reluctant to modify the action of such a reliable and safe weapon based on a theoretical. If you don't like a striker fire weapon, simply don't buy a Glock. It's that simple.

I certainly don't forsee Glock making this modification at a factory level, nor endorsing the post-sale modification of their pistols.
    Here is one way to look at it. The bean counters and lawyers that will end up getting involved the next time an officer shoots him/herself in the leg holstering. Here you have a device that will prevent that from happening. Even though due to his own negligence the officer sues the department because they failed to provide this device on their pistol. I look at it this way. I'm fairly skilled with a firearm, however, there may come a time, whether due to my age, adrenalin dump, or gravitational pull of the moon that may cause me to "Forget". As Ron White said, "Ever forget?" I have only forgotten once in my life before, but if it ever happens again this may prevent me from killing me or putting an extra hole in me.

To the folks who have concern about the gun not working. The device has been tested for the last 6 years, and has had over 50, 000 rounds put through without your problems you speak of.
    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Assistant Instructor @ http://www.green-ops.com/ Located in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area "Why should your training be any less special?"

VIP Member
    My mistake.

The Gadget has been in development and testing for almost six years. Dozens of Gadgets on Glocks of almost all models and calibers have been tested to a total of more than 300,000 rounds in a variety of shooting & environmental conditions. There have been no breakages, failures, or malfunctions. Some of the prototype Gadgets have seen in excess of 50,000 rounds each.

In addition, noted Instructor Craig "Southnarc" Douglas tested prototype Gadgets for a year in his highly regarded Extreme Close Quarter Concepts (ECQC) class involving students fighting at contact distance in sand, dirt, gravel, rain, and sun with no failures related to the Gadget in more than 500 training evolutions.

Furthermore, we intentionally designed the Gadget to have the best possible failure mode. In the event the Gadget breaks or becomes fouled by debris, the inner slide plate remains in place and the striker of the pistol is free to move. While the safety benefits of the Gadget will be lost until cleaned or repaired, the gun will continue to fire as normal.

Assistant Instructor @ http://www.green-ops.com/ Located in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area "Why should your training be any less special?"

Nope, not for me. I'm keeping my fingers out of the trigger guard. This way there's NO chance for a ND AD. Besides that, I'm SURE that Glock WILL void your warranty.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

so you have a vested interest in this Rob ??? this product was designed and is being sold by your co-workers or some such? nothing necessarily wrong with that, but for clarities sake I think you should have made that clear.

and you just mentioned that this device has been used on pistols in defensive classes at contact distance. Perhaps I am missing something, how does one push a slide into battery if contact shooting, without engaging this safety? seems like if I use my thumb or heel of hand to attempt to drive an out-of-battery slide into position when I am shoving the gun against someones ribcage, won't I be engaging this safety? please clarify. photo's or videos would be helpful. and I am not talking about bumping a slide into battery that failed to lock up, I am talking about trying to hold a slide forward that is being driven rearward by the pressure of having the muzzle pressed into an object.
    10thmtn and gen3 like this.
    "If it's worth shooting once, it's worth shooting - how many times was that?"

"You cannot control the Enemy. You can control yourself. The Victory lies within."

No thanks you.
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by jackrock View Post
    This product has been a couple of years in the making. For those that follow pistol-forum.com, this is relatively old-hat news. It has been followed by a huge number of members of that forum, so I think the market is there. Not being a Glock shooter, this means little to me, but I can see the desire for such devices. Especially among some more nervous LEAs.
    You miss the point, if something gets into the trigger guard applying pressure to the trigger, as soon as you let off the thumb pressure the gun will fire, the trigger is still being depressed.
    gen3 and JD like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

VIP Member
    I see the benefits, and even agree with them. I am not opposed to the idea. I doubt it is something I would use, but could be very beneficial to the right person. I require more convincing, but the idea seems solid and if their claims are correct in regards to durability and performance then they may actually have a reasonable product. Many extoll the virtues of enhancing the performance of guns, but we often scoff at enhancing the safety of them. I fully understand the passive safeties of a glock, but if this makes someone more comfortable, then so be it.
    nlyric likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    so you have a vested interest in this Rob ??? this product was designed and is being sold by your co-workers or some such? nothing necessarily wrong with that, but for clarities sake I think you should have made that clear.

and you just mentioned that this device has been used on pistols in defensive classes at contact distance. Perhaps I am missing something, how does one push a slide into battery if contact shooting, without engaging this safety? seems like if I use my thumb or heel of hand to attempt to drive an out-of-battery slide into position when I am shoving the gun against someones ribcage, won't I be engaging this safety? please clarify. photo's or videos would be helpful. and I am not talking about bumping a slide into battery that failed to lock up, I am talking about trying to hold a slide forward that is being driven rearward by the pressure of having the muzzle pressed into an object.
    In all the fights I have been in as a career LEO I never pulled my gun at contact distances, I never saw the need. It is also very hard to maintain control of a pistol if you are fighting over it. With all due respect to some of these trainers, contact distance is where you use fighting skills not gun skills.
    DingBat, OD*, SWIll and 5 others like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    In all the fights I have been in as a career LEO I never pulled my gun at contact distances, I never saw the need. It is also very hard to maintain control of a pistol if you are fighting over it. With all due respect to some of these trainers, contact distance is where you use fighting skills not gun skills.
    Fair enough, and I am neither advocating contact shooting, nor debating the frequency in which contact shooting is done in actual defensive scenarios. I imagine it is one of those one-in-million, "niche", instances, and perhaps the "safety benefits" of this device outweigh the possibility of contact shooting. I would imagine that is a personal choice. as a martial artist I actually 110% that if you're close enough to kiss you're close enough to be disarmed and some good fisticuff skillz will go a long ways...

...that said....

I'm still curious how this device would interfere with contact shooting. ...or not interfere if that's the case.
    Bad Bob and 10thmtn like this.

"You cannot control the Enemy. You can control yourself. The Victory lies within."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post

I have no personal investment in this product nor have I ever worked with any of the inventors. I know Mr. Green to say we are friends would be overstating the truth. I know his skills and abilities and his have seen the product of his classes. His knowledge and skills are high demand in the shooting industry. Products come to market all the time because somebody slapped something together and said this will revolutionize the industry. They end up never being heard from again. Just like many products come to market and people go say not for me. If that's the case then so be it don't buy it. From time to time there are products that come to market that enhance a product or a technique. I will honeslty say this adds a layer of safety to the most dangerous part of carrying a gun for self defense. The reholstering process. Take seatbelts in cars. Eventually the Lawyers got a hold of it and now eveyr car has seat belts. After seeing these and knowing who is testing these and under what conditions this has positive potential. Who knows maybe the potential is GLOCK purchasing it for millions of dollars just so it doesn't come to market. Many big companies do that all the time. With AIWB becoming ever so popular I definitely see potential in this.

The only reason I added my two previous posts is that the folks that POO POOed appeared to not even read the article.

On a side note, I'm a Econ guy, and this is America. If people/and departments see the benefits in this good, I certainly don't think it should be forced on anybody.

Dingbat this does not move the slide it moves the striker out of battery on a striker fired pistol. Typically when you reholster a gun your thumb should go on the back of the pistol anyway, incase you something like a string clothing or even your holster ends up in front of the trigger. This device makes it so even if you do everything right finger off trigger and such, but something gets inbetween your trigger when you push down in to the holster your gun doesn't discharge.

Accidental shooting for awkward reholstering situations

which caused this

Or if you wear pull strings

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I have no personal investment in this product nor have I ever worked with any of the inventors. I know Mr. Green to say we are friends would be overstating the truth. I know his skills and abilities and his have seen the product of his classes. His knowledge and skills are high demand in the shooting industry. Products come to market all the time because somebody slapped something together and said this will revolutionize the industry. They end up never being heard from again. Just like many products come to market and people go say not for me. If that's the case then so be it don't buy it. From time to time there are products that come to market that enhance a product or a technique. I will honeslty say this adds a layer of safety to the most dangerous part of carrying a gun for self defense. The reholstering process. Take seatbelts in cars. Eventually the Lawyers got a hold of it and now ever car has seat belts. After seeing these and knowing who is testing these and under what conditions this has positive potential. Who knows maybe the potential is GLOCK purchasing it for millions of dollars just so it doesn't come to market. Many big companies do that all the time. With AIWB becoming ever so popular I definitely see potential in this.

The only reason I added my two previous posts is that the folks that POO POOed appeared to not even read the article.
    fair enough. and for the record, I did read the article.

..but... respectfully, you didn't answer my question, has this device been used in contact shooting? yes or no. does it interfere with contact shooting? yes or no.

again, ui'm not even advocating contact shooting, I just want to know.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links