Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget) - Page 5

Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget)

This is a discussion on Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; if this was a good idea, I think that Gaston would already have thought of it....

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree353Likes

Thread: Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget)

if this was a good idea, I think that Gaston would already have thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by addywon View Post
    After watching the video several times I still don't understand the purpose of the feature. Why would you want the gun not to fire only if you have your thumb on the back of the slide?
    That's not what it does. It doesn't make the gun "not fire ONLY if the thumb is on the back of the slide". But prevents the trigger from being pulled IF the thumb is back there. Nothing else changes; If the trigger isn't pulled, the gun still won't fire, even if the thumb is not in position.

Todd, et al., just designed this to be an added physical manual safety for those who want it. Not everybody needs or wants it, as evidenced by the (in some cases, rather vitriolic) responses on this thread. But there is clearly enough of a market for this product, as shown by the thread on pistol-forum.com, and elsewhere.
    Sidneyious likes this.

I saw a video from a youtube channel called "last line of defense" a while back about appendix carry. The guy currently carries a G26, but began carrying appendix with an XDS because he could grip the pistol in such a way as to not engage the grip safety while holstering. This seems like a similar product for Glock. Assuming it doesn't hurt the reliability of the gun (yes I realize another part to go wrong theoretically affects reliability) or negatively affect trigger pull, I'd consider putting this on my gun. It's going to need years of testing to convince me to screw with a damn good firearm, though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I read the rules carefully and believe that me posting my article (below) that I wrote about my experience with the Gadget would add to the discussion. Happy to answer any questions about it.

The Gadget: an additional safety device for Glock pistols | Gun Nuts Media
    Bar99 likes this.

Welcome to the forum LL! Good to see you here. I hope you hang around and add your knowledge and experience to great family friendly forum.

I'm a bit surprised at the mixed feelings on this at DC, but then I've been watching the Gadget from the beginning at P-T and P-f so my view may be biased. My experiences with TLG lead me to believe that he would never let this go to market without being absolutely certain that it could not be a cause of any safety issue.

Whether it's something for everyone or not is another debate.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Thank you for the welcome. The Gadget just works.

Funny that what comes stock on another pistol is revolutionary when it shows up in Glock's aftermarket.

Pressure from your thumb is what's blocking the trigger, so there is no trigger movement while it's depressed. It's as if you're physically stopping the striker's rearward movement with your thumb. The same can be accomplished with one of these: For Glock NDZ SSI - Striker Status Indicator if you put your thumb behind it. Whatever is in your trigger guard will be stopped against the trigger as the striker pushes back into your thumb. IE when you feel pressure against your thumb from "The Gadget" or any striker indicator or a stock Walther PPS or any XD series pistol; Stop holstering, check for trigger blockage. There's like a 1/4" of movement the striker has to come back, you'll notice that very quickly.

The same can be accomplished with any DA pistol with an exposed action or any SA pistol by putting your thumb between the hammer and firing pin.

I'd prefer the striker indicator type, but flush against the back of the slide when cocked, and pushes out from there as the trigger pulls (like the PPS).

Either way, there's certainly a use for this, just as holstering your DA pistol with your thumb behind the hammer is useful. The lack of this feature has been seen by other manufacturers and addressed. They however instead made the rear of the striker a bit longer and put a hole in the backplate.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by addywon View Post
    After watching the video several times I still don't understand the purpose of the feature. Why would you want the gun not to fire only if you have your thumb on the back of the slide?
    The technique of holstering a gun is typically the most risky part of carrying a gun. Not everybody can reholster their gun when standing in a perfect stance on a square range. There may come a day that you may need to holster your handgun while in a position you have never been in. For AIWB your gun is pointed at your femoral artery and if your guy its pointed near something that makes you a man or a little boy depending on who you ask I guess.

This device is deigned around the risky technique of holstering the pistol. It adds an extra safety layer which I personally wouldn't mind having just for comfort factor.
    VodoundaVinci likes this.
    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Assistant Instructor @ http://www.green-ops.com/ Located in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area "Why should your training be any less special?"

I have trouble with those that use the term "Accidental Discharge". Its Negligence pure and simple. Excuses are like rear ends everyone has one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    The technique of holstering a gun is typically the most risky part of carrying a gun. Not everybody can reholster their gun when standing in a perfect stance on a square range. There may come a day that you may need to holster your handgun while in a position you have never been in. For AIWB your gun is pointed at your femoral artery and if your guy its pointed near something that makes you a man or a little boy depending on who you ask I guess.
    Exactly. I updated the article with SouthNarc's recommendation. If this device can't be broken nor disable a gun during his classes, well I don't know what to tell you if you dispute his word.

Why are they trying to fix what's NOT broke? Glocks are plenty safe as long as the safety between your ears is also functioning, same as any modern firearm.

YMMV

Lon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    if this was a good idea, I think that Gaston would already have thought of it.
    Like the Gen4's?
    SWIll likes this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    I carry appendix and would be interested in a proven version of this. As of now it's just another mechanical piece that can malfunction. There's no way Glock will make this oem!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
    Why are they trying to fix what's NOT broke? Glocks are plenty safe as long as the safety between your ears is also functioning, same as any modern firearm.

YMMV

Lon
    As I hit on in the article, this gives you the ability to reholster a Glock like countless generations of revolver and other hammer fired pistol shooters have learned to.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post

YMMV

Lon
    It's an option for people that want it. That's why. Very simple, really.
    VodoundaVinci likes this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links