Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget) - Page 8

Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget)

This is a discussion on Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When me and the wife first started looking at striker fired guns a few years ago we were both concerned. After awhile I realized that ...

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree353Likes

Thread: Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget)

When me and the wife first started looking at striker fired guns a few years ago we were both concerned. After awhile I realized that the concerned was a little overblown. Just keep finer off of trigger and everything out of the guard when reholstering. If that doesn't work just simply get a different gun. Plenty of good guns out there.

It was already mentioned above, but something like that detracts from the simplicity that Glocks already have. Via that link they are going to run $60 + shipping. That kind of money could buy a pretty decent holster that would sufficiently cover and protect the trigger area.

It looks like another case of what we see all too often in the firearms community, "A hardware fix for a software issue".

If you're uncomfortable or uneasy holstering a firearm to the point of "needing" a mechanical crutch, get some practice or seek some professional training and insight. The biggest thing to remember is to take your time upon reholstering. Use both hands, clear cover garment or anything that could sneak its way into the trigger guard, take your time, finger up high on the side of the frame (do not rest it on trigger guard), and watch where you're going.

There is no need to over complicate the process.
    CIBMike, craze and Bar99 like this.

Why oh why do people continue to think the Glock system of operation is not safe? It's been in operation for decades and is being copied by other manufacturers. If something were to snag your trigger and pull it, what ever did would have to enter into the trigger guard as far as you trigger finger does to depress the trigger safety allowing it to depress the trigger. What do you think could possibly do that while you are reholstering, other than your own finger? Your fears are overrated. Just like other firearms, the majority of your accidental discharges are operator error. Believe it or not some people lie about what happened when they accidentally pull a trigger and fire their weapon. If you know your firearm and practice proper firearm safety based on that knowledge, all firearms are safe. They can keep their mod. I like mine just the way it is. Here is a link go look at it so you are aware of the safeties that are already employed by Glock. https://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action
    Eric357 and dennis40x like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have installed the Commonolli Maunal Saafety Kits on my G26, G19 and G21 just to address this concern. From what I have been able to figure, most of the accidental discharges with striker fired pistols occur during the re-holstering process. And I do place my thumb on that safety as I re-holster as insurance. The holsters I use are Crossbreed Supertuck and I just got an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0. And like several of you have mentioned, I do re-holster slowly and deliberately. I'm not necessarily advocating the use of this "Gadget"...just throwing the idea out there into our pool of collective knowledge. And to raise awareness of the potential for an AD if something snags the trigger when re-holstering. Thanks for the feedback. All knowledge is good....
    Quote Originally Posted by denclaste View Post
    Simple answer is, buy and carry a gun with a manual safety. There are enough choices out there that have them. Or, on "blocks", install the Cominolli (sp?) safety. Since I only own one striker fired pistol, which is seldom carried, I don't have to worry about the reholstering. All my leather holsters have a reinforced mouth on them to answer that problem. Its good that you are aware of this problem and are considering your options.

I never blindly re-holster any concealed handgun. The holster, holster retention strap, shirt, jacket, or drawstrings can cause negligent discharges commonly known as Glock Leg for Glock carriers. I have carried a Glock since 1992 without a negligent discharge. I always use two hands and clear any clothing or gear before holstering any concealed handgun. One of the benefits of open carry is there are less things to cause Glock Leg.
    craze and Eric357 like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Never found and need for a safety added to a striker fired pistol. A carry on my 4" barreled pistol in front half of my body around 2:15 position and can watch what I am doing as I reholster slowly , for 28 years now . If I needed a added safety then I would change handgun brands .

I have no experience with AIWB. My initial reaction is that the femoral artery is right below it among other items but I like the idea of being able to see while you are manipulating the pistol. What holster do you use for AIWB?

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Never found and need for a safety added to a striker fired pistol. A carry on my 4" barreled pistol in front half of my body around 2:15 position and can watch what I am doing as I reholster slowly , for 28 years now . If I needed a added safety then I would change handgun brands .

As I've stated before when I get a G42 I will install Commonolli safety. Surely there is one in the works for it now. I do a lot of unholstering and reholstering in the car. Ohio has a lot of GFZs and signs have FOL. Tight spaces, sometimes in the dark. Yes I want a manual safety. Not going to turn on a dome light and slowly holster a glock in a crowded parking lot.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Merged with thread already running.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jcldwl View Post
    What do you think could possibly do that while you are reholstering, other than your own finger?
    [Video] Police Chief Shoots Himself After His Jacket Drawstring Causes Negligent Discharge
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I have a couple Glocks my technique is if I want to remove them for purpose other than shooting I remove holster and all. Remove gun from holster two handed replace gun into holster two handed in front of me nothing to tangle. after shooting.

It's too bad they chose the name "Gadget." The name is a drawback by itself. I would give this device a run and see how it performs. Of course it could never replace proper training and techniques but I could see the potential for enhancing safety during re-holstering...

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    well, I see one absolute problem with these.

driving the slide forward when contact shooting. granted- this does not occur very often, but this device basically makes a glock impossible to use as a contact weapon.

no thanks. if Glock does in fact start making these standard OEM equipment.... I won't be buying any more Glocks.

( I know I've seena video demonstrating the technique of driving the back of slide forward to hold it in battery when contact shooting, I can't find it now...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    If you put one of these on your Glock and holster it, if something interferes with the trigger and you let go with your thumb it is still going to fire as soon as you let go. It is not another safety, it is another part for something to go wrong with.
    Fair enough, and I am neither advocating contact shooting, nor debating the frequency in which contact shooting is done in actual defensive scenarios. I imagine it is one of those one-in-million, "niche", instances, and perhaps the "safety benefits" of this device outweigh the possibility of contact shooting. I would imagine that is a personal choice. as a martial artist I actually 110% that if you're close enough to kiss you're close enough to be disarmed and some good fisticuff skillz will go a long ways...

...that said....

I'm still curious how this device would interfere with contact shooting. ...or not interfere if that's the case.
    fair enough. and for the record, I did read the article.

..but... respectfully, you didn't answer my question, has this device been used in contact shooting? yes or no. does it interfere with contact shooting? yes or no.

again, ui'm not even advocating contact shooting, I just want to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by CIBMike View Post
    Putting a thumb behind the upper receiver of any pistol is a horrible habit.

Adding any device to a pistol that encourages or allows for bad habits is a horrible idea.

It does not alter the ability to make the contact shot with pressure on the rear of the slide. The gun can fire, even with pressure on the rear of the slide. I had the ability to play with one the other day.

The point of the device is not to PREVENT the gun from being fired, it's to give a tactile warning that the trigger is moving when you don't want it to move, IE when something other than your finger (or YOUR FINGER) gets caught in the trigger guard.

If I were carrying a Glock in an appendix holster or behind the hip where I can't get a clear view of the holster I would opt for this device.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jcldwl View Post
    Why oh why do people continue to think the Glock system of operation is not safe? It's been in operation for decades and is being copied by other manufacturers. If something were to snag your trigger and pull it, what ever did would have to enter into the trigger guard as far as you trigger finger does to depress the trigger safety allowing it to depress the trigger. What do you think could possibly do that while you are reholstering, other than your own finger? Your fears are overrated. Just like other firearms, the majority of your accidental discharges are operator error. Believe it or not some people lie about what happened when they accidentally pull a trigger and fire their weapon. If you know your firearm and practice proper firearm safety based on that knowledge, all firearms are safe. They can keep their mod. I like mine just the way it is. Here is a link go look at it so you are aware of the safeties that are already employed by Glock. https://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action
    This is fool hardy at best. There are plenty of documented cases of foreign objects such as draw string keepers from jackets getting caught in trigger guards.

{Edited to add: I see OD beat me to that. }

Quote Originally Posted by Bar99 View Post
    I have no experience with AIWB. My initial reaction is that the femoral artery is right below it among other items but I like the idea of being able to see while you are manipulating the pistol. What holster do you use for AIWB?
    The Zacchaeus© Concealment Holster - Dale Fricke HolstersDale Fricke Holsters

Take your time holstering, watch what you are doing. This little jewel completely covers the trigger, can get any safer with a loaded gun.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links