Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget) - Page 9

Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget)

This is a discussion on Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JD It does not alter the ability to make the contact shot with pressure on the rear of the slide. The gun ...

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree353Likes

Thread: Revolutionizing the Glock (Gadget)

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    It does not alter the ability to make the contact shot with pressure on the rear of the slide. The gun can fire, even with pressure on the rear of the slide. I had the ability to play with one the other day.

The point of the device is not to PREVENT the gun from being fired, it's to give a tactile warning that the trigger is moving when you don't want it to move, IE when something other than your finger (or YOUR FINGER) gets caught in the trigger guard.

If I were carrying a Glock in an appendix holster or behind the hip where I can't get a clear view of the holster I would opt for this device.
    Reading their description, my understanding is that if you apply pressure to the Gadget, it DOES prevent the gun from firing by locking the striker.

A tactile warning would be useless, as by the time you felt it under stress, it would likely be too late.
    PAcanis, Bar99, tdave and 1 others like this.
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

I was wondering about that myself.

Everything I read about the Gadget is that thumb pressure on the back of the slide would easily keep the trigger from moving rearward...

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

JD
    Administrator
    I was able to block the striker plate with my thumb and pull the trigger all the way through and release the striker. Maybe if I wedged it against a 2x4 it wouldn't go bang but your thumb itself probably isn't going to prevent the gun from firing.

I can do the same thing with a hammer fired DAO pistol.

Yeah there's more resistance but not enough to lock up the gun.

I asked the people at Commonolli Custom the other day about the G42 and G43. They are working on it but the degree of downsize that Glock did on these pistols is giving them some issues in designing a Manual Safety Kit for them.......

Quote Originally Posted by mkdb View Post
    As I've stated before when I get a G42 I will install Commonolli safety. Surely there is one in the works for it now. I do a lot of unholstering and reholstering in the car. Ohio has a lot of GFZs and signs have FOL. Tight spaces, sometimes in the dark. Yes I want a manual safety. Not going to turn on a dome light and slowly holster a glock in a crowded parking lot.

JD
    Administrator
    I was able to block the striker plate with my thumb and pull the trigger all the way through and release the striker. Maybe if I wedged it against a 2x4 it wouldn't go bang but your thumb itself probably isn't going to prevent the gun from firing.

Perhaps if I were to REALLY get on the plate it might work differently.

Perhaps if I were to REALLY get on the plate it might work differently.
    I took a look at their video, and pressure on the back plate is supposed to keep the gun from firing at all. They show the trigger not being able to be pulled.

If so, not sure how you would make a contact shot...?

Dunno - maybe you have a really strong trigger finger...and a weak thumb? Or maybe the one you had wasn't working right?
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

JD
    Administrator
    Heck, even if it does allow it I'm not about to use a technique that's guaranteed to jam up my gun after firing one round.

Heck, even if it does allow it I'm not about to use a technique that's guaranteed to jam up my gun after firing one round.
    If I'm that close to an attacker, then I'm going hands on or reaching for a defensive knife.

So the Gadget doesn't really block anything. It simply adds resistance.
    Interesting. That puts things in a different light.
    CIBMike likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    This is a pretty good read on it:

http://www.gunnuts.net/2015/07/03/th...glock-pistols/

As for the sample I played with, perhaps it was installed incorrectly or I have either girl hands or Gorilla hands but I was able to apply pressure to the striker plate and pull the trigger through to release the striker, so I disagree that "any pressure will render the gun unfireable"

Edited to add: in retrospect, I would wager that as the muzzle wasn't pressed against a surface that there was enough force applied to the trigger to move the striker plate (and the gun) away from my thumb.

Should the muzzle be completely unable to travel the result could be different.

JD
    Administrator
    After some more talking with people that have then etc. With enough pressure you can block the striker plate and disable the gun while pressure is applied.

In the context of the thumb capped contact shot that is bad, thankfully that is only one method.

Very good information JD. Even in that article it talks about how thumb pressure will prevent the trigger from moving. I like the idea and I see no downside. I understand why some would consider this to be solely a training issue and I respect their views. Here's my view....How about I train my butt off and master the manual of arms for any pistol I carry? ....And on top of that, throw in a legitimate safety feature that removes the possibility of ANY discharge during re-holstering, whether it be accidental or negligent. And if I am ever in a situation where there is fighting involved, I may need to re-holster quickly for some reason not apparent to me right now. Just another option and a safety feature. I'm good for it but I understand why some would be opposed.....

This is a pretty good read on it:

The Gadget: an additional safety device for Glock pistols | Gun Nuts Media

As for the sample I played with, perhaps it was installed incorrectly or I have either girl hands or Gorilla hands but I was able to apply pressure to the striker plate and pull the trigger through to release the striker, so I disagree that "any pressure will render the gun unfireable"

Edited to add: in retrospect, I would wager that as the muzzle wasn't pressed against a surface that there was enough force applied to the trigger to move the striker plate (and the gun) away from my thumb.

Should the muzzle be completely unable to travel the result could be different.

I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have already been discussed. What happens when you slightly let off the Gadget while holding the trigger? If it fires, I really don't want my thumb right behind the slide.
    OD* likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have already been discussed. What happens when you slightly let off the Gadget while holding the trigger? If it fires, I really don't want my thumb right behind the slide.
    What exact scenario are you envisioning exactly? In what circumstance are you moving the trigger while your thumb is on the slide?

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links