Opinions on S&W 342PD

This is a discussion on Opinions on S&W 342PD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend of mine is offering his S&W 342PD .38 Special for $300. I've read Jeff Quinn's excellent review of the gun on the website, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on S&W 342PD

VIP Member

Opinions on S&W 342PD

A friend of mine is offering his S&W 342PD .38 Special for $300.

I've read Jeff Quinn's excellent review of the gun on the website, Gun Blast: http://www.gunblast.com/SW_342PD.htm

What I'd like to hear is people's opinions on the gun; particular those folks that fired/own/owned one.

Thanks much.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Cant speak specifically for the 342 (38spl) but I had a 340 (357) and it was very nice to carry. That said I sold it and carry my model 36 until I pick up a 442 which is a little heavier. I have to say the 340 (and 342) are light and easy to pack all day and barely noticable but I had to shoot mine in a 30 round course every three months and it was a ache in my had once that was done, even when using 38 spl loads. Prob the hardest recoil of any handgun short of the 500 S&W.

Sodepends on what you plan on doing with it. For $300 that is real cheap for one of the Scathium models and a 442 new is running $350.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

kpw
    If it's in good shape, I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

If I were you I'd pass...The recoil from +p is very unpleasant in the 342 With that said, could you please send me your friends contact info? I feel it is my duty to buy this light weight hand abuser to save others from anguish In all seriousness go for it sir!! that's a great deal!! luteai

Sounds like a great deal. I have a 340PD which is the same weight and it is not bad with .38 +P. I use 135gr GDs.

Does it have an internal lock?
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I thought about a 340, but knew I would need practice to become reliably accurate with it. I didn't feel--for me--I wanted to do that with 357s, and I thought (and still do) that if I shot 38s at the range, I should carry with 38s. That pointed toward the 342pd, which I knew was going out of production. It was a little less expensive and lighter. I think mine's around 10.5oz unloaded and the 340 is 12oz(?) Anyhow, I'm really thankful that I was still able to find a new one locally--one of two remaining at the shop I like. I agree that the price is exceptional for one in good condition.

Administrator
    I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Great gun, and a great price.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have one I carry in my pocket in the winter and love it.Great price I would buy it.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    My wife carries one. She swears by it. It is light, accurate (as a snubnose can be), and reliable. I'd jump at it for that price.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

SRFL! ya best scoop that up ASAP..........NICE little gun he's selling.......GREAT price as well......
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    That is a great price! A couple friends of mine bought one each. One of them sold after about a year. He complained about qualifying with it. The other friend still has it, but I don't think he carries it much, because of the recoil when shooting it.

Personally, I thought it was pretty harsh, recoilwise. But I'd buy one at that price. Probably wouldn't shoot it much, either. But it is a great pocket gun. The darn thing's about a 1/4 lb. lighter than my 442!
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

You better buy it asap because those things are selling for double the $300 asking price. Of course that if it is pre-lock. The 342 is awesome. Feels like you are carrying a cap gun because it is so light. Every ounce makes a difference!

I have owned and carried a 342 for several years now. It is a constant. I typically pocket carry it at work every day. Sometimes I carry my 1911PD, but no matter what I have my 342. The 342 is as light and concealable as any gun out there and with considerably more punch then a Seecamp or P3AT or PPK etc. It is ultra light and ultra reliable. You can stick it in your pocket and forget about it. On a hot summer day with cargo shorts on you can mow the lawn without carry discomfort. For deep cover you can carry it all day on your ankle. Sometimes I wear a Don Hume JIT slide belt holster with just a loose T shirt over it, very hidden and very comfy. In cooler weather you can transfer it to your jacket pocket and even shoot through the pocket if necessary. I find this to be a great feature when walking though an empty parking garage in downtown Boston in the wee hours. Much of the year I wear a Cabelas barn coat (great value) which has 2 vertical pockets at chest level with velcro closures. I am on the road a lot, I am in sales and I drive all day every day. I stick the 342 (with a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster) in the left side chest pocket and it rides like a shoulder hloster, but MUCH more accessible. In fact very accessible, when driving. I have not found any other method of carry that is as accessible in a car as compared to my chest pocket method. Also note that these Cabela's barn coats are a fraction of the price of the fancy concealed carry jackets and coats. It is the 342 that makes this possible as my S&W 60 or Ruger SP101 pulls down too heavily on the pocket to make it practical.

Personally I do not find the recoil prohibitive. Usually when I practice I will shoot 50 - 100rds of regular .38's and then 10 - 15 rds. of +p's. All handgun skills are perishable, but I think it is even more so with snubby's, especially the ultra light models. I practice with mine a fair amount, usually once a week. I have put thousands of rounds through mine without issue and it is as tight as the day I bought it. I have also taken some snubby specific training classes and this has been my gun of choice. I am taking another snubby class at Sigarms next weekend.

Any snubby, but particularly a light one like the 342 is a trade off. However, I have simply accepted that this was, is and (in all liklihood) will be my main carry gun. So I accept the limitations and train to maximize the strengths.

Senior Moderator
    The 342 is a great gun. Buy it
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Great gun!!! Buy it!!!! Steve48

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links